Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new wheels and tires came in today. Unfortunately, idiot me ordered the wrong lug nuts (right ones ordered and will be here tomorrow), and they sent the wrong center caps, so I won't get me mounted for a couple more days. I will post pics once I get em on there. I think they look pretty sweet myself

image.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Those look Great meeks! I had it narrowed down to two choices and that exact setup is one of them. I am going with a 24 x 14 OG Bighorn definitely, but was unsure if I would go with those rims, or the 14" MSA Diesel. I had decided to buy the Diesel's, but after seeing that pic I'm unsure again.
I am really looking forward to seeing a couple of pics when you get em mounted up! Thanks!

I had found some images from a dealer in Canada that had one for sale with the STI wheels on it. Give ya an idea of what you will look like in a couple of days.

11212729_817175811664780_249816234256538081_o.jpg
11270468_817175924998102_984940889960166290_o.jpg

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those look Great meeks! I had it narrowed down to two choices and that exact setup is one of them. I am going with a 24 x 14 OG Bighorn definitely, but was unsure if I would go with those rims, or the 14" MSA Diesel. I had decided to buy the Diesel's, but after seeing that pic I'm unsure again.
I am really looking forward to seeing a couple of pics when you get em mounted up! Thanks!
I looked at 3-4 different wheels, and those were cheaper than any MSAs that I saw, and I thought they looked really good. Just make sure you buy the right lugs. I got everything from Rocky Mountain and just went ahead and got the STI lugs and their tool after ordering the wrong ones. Also, make sure you get the bigger center caps that are made for the Viking, as the normal ones are too short and the axle nuts will pop them out when you put the wheel on. I knew the tires were a no brainer after running bighorns for 8 years on my old Honda and not even wearing them down halfway. IMO, they're about the best all around tire you can get. Tough as hell, ride smooth, wear good, and get pretty decent traction in all conditions. I know there are better tires for mud, etc, but the don't wear as well and ride a little rougher

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
image.jpg image.jpg
Yeah I have never heard a complaint about the original bighorn's, the 2.0 yes. The setup I was looking at is on eBay. The guy sells the lugs and everything and they are premounted. The listing below may not work for the wolverine but it give anyone looking an idea of pricing.

STI HD3 14" Wheels Black 26" Bighorn Tires Yamaha Viking | eBay
Those should work. Wherever you order from, make sure you get the center caps for the Viking. If you look real close at the pics you posted, you will notice that the center caps stick out pretty far because the ends of the axles stick out father than the regular size caps. I got a call from Rocky Mountain today saying that my new caps were on order, but were back ordered and won't be in till the end of the month. They told me that I didn't need to worry about returning the wrong caps so I modified them so the stock caps would fit inside so I could mount the new wheels tomorrow when my lugs come in and not have the axle ends exposed.

Reactions: SGT215

·
Registered
211 Posts
The look good with the yamaha cap on em. I ended up going with the diesels. It will be a couple weeks before I get everything installed and pics up on the site. Going to put some custom graphics on, my winch, and wheels.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Got them mounted today. I know what I got with the tires because I ran them the last 8 years, but once I got them on, this thing just looks so much better. Ready for things to slow down s little bit so I can get out and ride!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks. The pictures don't do it justice. I have it sitting in the yard right outside my front door because I'm bug bombing the garage to get rid of all the fleas the neighborhood cats brought in there, and when you see it in person, those wheels just pop.

Epic, I wish I had taken your advice about the lug nuts from the other thread to start with and just gone to Auto Zone. My second set showed up this morning and they were M12 x 1.5. So I ended getting the tuner lugs at Auto Zone, and now I'm about $80 in lug nuts.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks. The pictures don't do it justice. I have it sitting in the yard right outside my front door because I'm bug bombing the garage to get rid of all the fleas the neighborhood cats brought in there, and when you see it in person, those wheels just pop.

Epic, I wish I had taken your advice about the lug nuts from the other thread to start with and just gone to Auto Zone. My second set showed up this morning and they were M12 x 1.5. So I ended getting the tuner lugs at Auto Zone, and now I'm about $80 in lug nuts.
I'm considering those wheels maybe for my second set of tires for Rocky, mountain trail riding.. I think they look amazing in the pictures. I know what you mean, my wheels are triple power coating, first is a chrome looking powder coating, next is a translucent candy lime green, then a clear coat. So in person they have depth, it's like looking into a piece of rock candy..

You could always re sale the other lugs on eBay.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reactions: EpicWolverine

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm famous at Rocky Mountain now. They sent me the small caps again, and when I called them we got to talking and I mentioned what I did with the combo of the first small caps and the stock ones, the guy said they saw my post on here about that and said a few people in their office were impressed with my redneck ingenuity.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I ended up going with the same setup meeks. I tried the MSA Diesels, but decided that I wanted a lighter wheel. The pics do not do them any justice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts