Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha RMax4 LE
136 Posts
In Wisconsin , unfortunately they would be unable to ride the trails. 50cc quads are rated for 10 years old and up , and that is how Wisconsin looks at it. They go by manufacturer sticker. I'm guessing it will be similar. Wisconsin also made it illegal to ride two up on a one up machine, so no kids on back.
Unfortunately, I think you’re right. My wife and I both started riding at a very young age. We have multiple kids that ride with us on certain weekends. We box them in, RMAX in front, kids bikes in the middle each paired with an adult on a bike to their left, quads and sometimes other UTVs behind. We teach them young and they learn trail etiquette and safety by example. We’ve noticed it’s more difficult to properly train a 10+ year old, who already have better ideas they’ve cooked up with friends at school and are less prone to really soaking up adult advise. I’m guessing we’ll have to bite the bullet and buy a decent size piece of unimproved property where they can learn properly. I can’t act like I didn’t see this coming, I constantly see irresponsible people on the trails that helped them bring this about.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I can’t act like I didn’t see this coming, I constantly see irresponsible people on the trails that helped them bring this about.
Same here but I'm the bad guy for telling them to knock it off. I get it, I was one of them once too but listened to my fellow riders and changed. I hate seeing any trail get shut down because of stupidity.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's a shame. With all the good places to legally peg it up and burn up the trail some drivers just can't resist tearing up non-trail landscapes leaving obvious damage and a lasting bad taste regarding UTV folks. I doubt anything but a big fine would discourage them, and I hope that happens before the tree huggers petition their buddies in government to close us out of public lands.
Also, had a 10 yr old son of an acquaintance left unsupervised to drive the family ATV in their own small back yard. He rolled it; no one saw it happen and he died. In this country we have several fatal snowmobile accidents every year, so far only a few UTV fatalities, and unfortunately some involve unsupervised "kids" using "kid" judgement.
It can be a great family sport if we do it right.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Share it with everyone everywhere!
This really pisses me off as someone who isn’t even interested in light bars stereos, or being street legal in anyway.
Not knocking those that are but I’d rather haul my ride from trail head to trail head. This video doesn’t even cover the guys that drive off the trails, throw out trash etc.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
One of our favorite riding areas is 6000 acres. there are 5 campgrounds on it with paved roads connecting the campgrounds. They have private security and if you are on the paved road, they give you ticket if light bars, whips, or rock lights are on. Speed limit is 25 and there is no passing. They write you a ticket for that too. You are not allowed back in until all tickets are paid. Campgrounds are 10 mph and stereos need to be off or at least turned way down after 11. Same rules on the lights in the campgrounds. If you can't find a place on 6000 acres to let it hang out (while staying on the trail) then something is wrong. The places those guys were talking about in the video are way larger. Have your fun out on the trail but knock it off when you get on the road and around residents or we will get shut down.

·
Registered
2021 X4 -2021 Kodiak 700- and 2 2021 PW50's
583 Posts
I think this is awesome. They have outlawed side by sides in certain areas here because of people destroying habitat areas. You can ride all over CA/AZ deserts, there is no reason to destroy the motorcycle single tracks either. I came around a corner once and found four people dead from a head on collision with each other. Two RZR's. No helmets, no harnesses, obviously no training or experience.
Dang where did this happen?

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
1,094 Posts
All I see is more BIG GOVERNMENT every direction I look!
You know we aren't capable of thinking for ourselves anymore. We need instruction on everything we do. The ding-a-lings won't last long on new machines.... then we can buy low mileage barely used machines.
LIFE IS A LEARNING CURVE.... DON'T FLATTEN THAT CURVE!
No class will prevent any fool from screwing things up. Sounds good on paper though. What do I know though..... I'm still drinking water from the water hose . Don't tell anyone, I'll have to take a water drinking class.
Sorry for the rant but I really think Darwin was on to something! 😇

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
1,094 Posts
One of our favorite riding areas is 6000 acres. there are 5 campgrounds on it with paved roads connecting the campgrounds. They have private security and if you are on the paved road, they give you ticket if light bars, whips, or rock lights are on. Speed limit is 25 and there is no passing. They write you a ticket for that too. You are not allowed back in until all tickets are paid. Campgrounds are 10 mph and stereos need to be off or at least turned way down after 11. Same rules on the lights in the campgrounds. If you can't find a place on 6000 acres to let it hang out (while staying on the trail) then something is wrong. The places those guys were talking about in the video are way larger. Have your fun out on the trail but knock it off when you get on the road and around residents or we will get shut down.
Like everything else the majority pays the price for the few idiot's. Common sense and respect would eliminate 90% of the rules and laws but common sense ain't common any more and we have stopped allowing kids to EARN respect in our schools.
Sorry..... I'm just a little over things tonight! (I am usually more relaxed)

·
Registered
87 Posts
You know we aren't capable of thinking for ourselves anymore. We need instruction on everything we do. The ding-a-lings won't last long on new machines.... then we can buy low mileage barely used machines.
LIFE IS A LEARNING CURVE.... DON'T FLATTEN THAT CURVE!
No class will prevent any fool from screwing things up. Sounds good on paper though. What do I know though..... I'm still drinking water from the water hose . Don't tell anyone, I'll have to take a water drinking class.
Sorry for the rant but I really think Darwin was on to something! 😇
Madcat, love how your think. . . .

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I’m immune to anything including COVID.
I eat with Farrier fingers everyday. There’s no telling what levels of bacteria this body has ingested in the last 30 years. I’ve even had foot trimmings come off the knife and hit me right back in the tonsils while talking to a customer.
All my youth life we filled used Clorox jugs through the garden hose every morning before going to the Mtn to log timber. Didn’t hurt any of us!

·
Registered
3,678 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Rmax4 LE.
538 Posts
Many of us have been avid outdoorsman for years. We know the pack it in pack it out mentality and being respectful to the environment and other users. The sxs has introduced lots of new people to the outdoors, many who are younger and ignorant. We all see the bad behavior and when it's brought to their attention the reply is often FU or worse. I hate to say it but many people drive their sxs's like they drive their cars. I was in a near miss head on collision on a blind turn with a young guy on an atv. He was doing about 40 mph on the wrong side of a graded dirt road. Luckily i had just enough room to avoid him. Where I live it is getting worse by the day. We avoid the popular crowded locations when we can. I liked the video and it illustrates that respectful folks need to collectively be more outspoken against the riff raff.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts