Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

New tusk terrabite tire hop

20K views 54 replies 14 participants last post by  wanab 
#1 ·
I replaced my x4 stock tires with tusk terrabite's 27x9-12 front and 27x11-12 rears. The installer filled them to 30-32 psi so I dropped the pressure to factory specs 16 psi rear and 15 psi front, installed them, didn't test drive, and the machine has set still in my garage for 8 days. I was able to take it for spin today and right off the bat I noticed a pretty bad tire hop. I drove around on pavement for 7 miles miles or so and the hop diminished some but was still very noticeable at slow speeds. I hope being winter and the tires being cold they may have developed a flat spot from setting and not a defect The hop feels like it's in only one tire. Any ideas or input is appreciated!

#2 ·
heavy ply tires hold there shape for a mile or so They will get round after a while

#4 ·
Hope so, but I drove at least 7 miles and could still feel a hop at a slow speed. Temp was about 35 degrees when I went yesterday afternoon.

#3 ·
Love my terrabites 5lbs to 30lbs

#5 ·
I just put the same tires on my machine.
When the tires were installed, is the yellow dot on the tire at the valve stem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: davydo
#6 ·
Not sure I know what you mean about a yellow dot? Could you explain?

#7 ·
On the sidewall of the tire there will be a yellow dot, about the size of a dime, only one one side. This represents the lightest side of the tire, the valve stem is the heaviest, that’s why they should be aligned.

#10 ·
This?

#11 ·
No, that looks like the quality control mark
Like this

#12 ·
Nothing like that on either tire on the outer side, maybe they put on the inside I'll have to look. Thanks!

Reactions: Pyro
#13 ·
Tire manufacturers recommend the correct positioning of the red and yellow dots with respect to certain “landmarks” on both steel and alloy wheels. These dots can be used to mount tires for optimum initial balance and minimum ride disturbance – where the dots go depends on which dots – and which wheels you have.
If the tire has a red dot, the yellow dot is ignored! The red dot is then lined up with either the “low point dimple” (on steel wheels) or next to the valve stem on alloy wheels. Regardless of the type of wheel, if there is no red dot, the yellow dot is positioned next to the valve stem.

#14 · (Edited)
Would it be possible my installer installed the tires with these color dots on the inner side walls? I see no red or yellow dots anywhere’s on the outer side walls.

#16 ·
Most atv/utv tires don't have the dots.

Jack it up to where the tire just clears the ground and spin them to see if they are round.

#18 ·
I have jacked up right now to take the weight off since it'll be sitting a few days, I'm out of town, I'll check in a few days. Thanks!

#19 ·
Me too, love the ride vs stock except that slow speed 5-15 mph bounce! Ugh!

#21 ·
I would say they messed up, my opinion. The reason is the manufacturer recommends the yellow dot lining up with the valve stem.
Lightest spot of tire to the heaviest point of rim. I would ask whoever mounted them to align the yellow dots with valve stems.
I hope this solves your problem.

#23 ·
While I was on Google researching the Sedona rockabilly tires noted the yellow dot was placed opposite the valve stem. Is in line location specific to the tusk terrabites?

#25 ·
Specifically said opposite side of valve stem. It's on their website

Reactions: SKELLEY521
#27 ·
I sent a question off to rocky mt atv about the yellow dot on their terrabites and I'm gonna contact my installer tomorrow and see what they say.

Reactions: SKELLEY521
#28 ·
Rocky Mt Atv says line the yellow dot with the valve stem, my tire shop said that it wasn’t necessary with today’s modern tires and the compounds they use to make them but would do it for me if I bring them back. I took my machine off the stands I had it resting on for the past 5 days, filled them to 22 psi of air and went for a ride today and the bounce was pretty much non existent and the ride smooth. I’ll let it set full weight on them a few days and take her out again and see what happens.

#29 ·
Rocky is correct.
Tire shop is covering their ass with bullshit.
Tires will flat spot when they sit. Just have to get out and push them hard. Once they get good and warm, it will go away.

#30 ·
That’s great! Glad you got it squared away.
Now the fun will be finding the best air pressure for your riding style and terrain.
For me 15lb was horrible.
I am at 12lb and I am pleased.
Best of luck and hope you enjoy your terrabites

#31 ·
Besides the hassle of taking them off again, I will probably go ahead and take them back to the shop and have them put the dot where it’s recommended by you guys and the mfg. y’all think I should have them balanced since about 30% of my riding is on hardtop?

#32 ·
Nothing wrong with having balanced tires.
You can add tire balancing beads.

#33 ·
I am not sure, but I imagine the Yellow or Red dots may only be on DOT rated tires. Not too many off-road low mph tires have a balancing desire.
If you use beads make sure they are soft kind that do not degrade the inner tire coating. If you wear the inner coating off to the cord then the cord can leak to a compromised outer coating rubber void like at a plug or face skin. Some tires run at low pressure below manufacturer's recommendations will wear out the inner rubber coating, sometimes you can find rubber dust when you dismount a tire from rim.

#34 ·
Took um off and back to my tire shop, they took care of it without any charges, less than 30 minutes to do it. I agree the DOT rating could be the reason for the yellow dot, I haven’t taken it for a ride yet so not sure if that corrected my tire hop.

Reactions: ST3675
#35 ·
Well, I took her for ride around the neighborhood, about 3 miles total, still the initial hop at slow speeds, small vibration 20-25 mph, no big deal. Runnin 22 psi for now, but will drop down once I break the tires in with extended hardtop and trail riding hopefully in the next couple weeks as the weather warms up. I must admit that the yellow dots inline with the valve stems didn't make any noticeable difference. Like I said the yellow dots must a requirement to be a DOT certified tire. JMHO...

#36 ·
Did you try to jack it up a little and see if you a tire out of round? It's more common to get bad new tire then you think. Tire distributors hate shops that have road force balancers, they find a lot new car tires that are bad.

#37 ·

Yes, the passenger front seems to have a flat spot when I roll it by hand. I'd imagine it'll be impossible to get any warranty from Tusk, I'll shoot Rocky Mt Atv a email and see.

#38 ·
One of my 27 x 9 -12 Tusk Terrabites did have a defective flat spot in the tire. I purchased the set from Pure Off road, I contacted them, sent a video of the rolling wheel and they are sending me another tire free off charge! Recommend these guys!

#39 ·
I have been a tire guy in my other life for many many years. Mailman was a Michelin dealer, goodyear dealer, firestone dealer, blah blah blah and I grew up in the tire business. Any tires that are bias ply nylon in the casing, will develop flat spots as they sit in one place, overnight even, particularly in cold environments. It takes a while for the tire to warm up and get rid of that slap. Tire dealers will tell you that Radial Play tires won’t do that… Bullshit. If the casing has nylon cord in it, it’s going to slap until it warms up, does it matter whether it’s bias ply or radial ply.

#41 ·
I totally agree with you, but I had my x4 off the ground and no weight on the tires, 22 psi instead of the 12 - 14 psi I'd normally run, one of the 27 x 9 has a noticeable flat spot, the other tires are fine.

Reactions: Jraoffroad