Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Wolverine x4 Hunter Edition
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my x4 stock tires with tusk terrabite's 27x9-12 front and 27x11-12 rears. The installer filled them to 30-32 psi so I dropped the pressure to factory specs 16 psi rear and 15 psi front, installed them, didn't test drive, and the machine has set still in my garage for 8 days. I was able to take it for spin today and right off the bat I noticed a pretty bad tire hop. I drove around on pavement for 7 miles miles or so and the hop diminished some but was still very noticeable at slow speeds. I hope being winter and the tires being cold they may have developed a flat spot from setting and not a defect The hop feels like it's in only one tire. Any ideas or input is appreciated!

·
Registered
19 Posts
heavy ply tires hold there shape for a mile or so They will get round after a while

·
Registered
19 Posts
Love my terrabites 5lbs to 30lbs

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heavy ply tires hold there shape for a mile or so They will get round after a while
Hope so, but I drove at least 7 miles and could still feel a hop at a slow speed. Temp was about 35 degrees when I went yesterday afternoon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just put the same tires on my machine.
When the tires were installed, is the yellow dot on the tire at the valve stem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: davydo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just put the same tires on my machine.
When the tires were installed, is the yellow dot on the tire at the valve stem?

Not sure I know what you mean about a yellow dot? Could you explain?

·
Registered
42 Posts
On the sidewall of the tire there will be a yellow dot, about the size of a dime, only one one side. This represents the lightest side of the tire, the valve stem is the heaviest, that’s why they should be aligned.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure I know what you mean about a yellow dot? Could you explain?
Never mind I just researched and found out what you meant. I’ll take a look.
On the sidewall of the tire there will be a yellow dot, about the size of a dime, only one one side. This represents the lightest side of the tire, the valve stem is the heaviest, that’s why they should be aligned.

Ahhhh, 10-4 I’ll check and see thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
No problem, I hope that is what your issue is

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
42 Posts
No, that looks like the quality control mark
Like this

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like this

Nothing like that on either tire on the outer side, maybe they put on the inside I'll have to look. Thanks!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Tire manufacturers recommend the correct positioning of the red and yellow dots with respect to certain “landmarks” on both steel and alloy wheels. These dots can be used to mount tires for optimum initial balance and minimum ride disturbance – where the dots go depends on which dots – and which wheels you have.
If the tire has a red dot, the yellow dot is ignored! The red dot is then lined up with either the “low point dimple” (on steel wheels) or next to the valve stem on alloy wheels. Regardless of the type of wheel, if there is no red dot, the yellow dot is positioned next to the valve stem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Tire manufacturers recommend the correct positioning of the red and yellow dots with respect to certain “landmarks” on both steel and alloy wheels. These dots can be used to mount tires for optimum initial balance and minimum ride disturbance – where the dots go depends on which dots – and which wheels you have.
If the tire has a red dot, the yellow dot is ignored! The red dot is then lined up with either the “low point dimple” (on steel wheels) or next to the valve stem on alloy wheels. Regardless of the type of wheel, if there is no red dot, the yellow dot is positioned next to the valve stem.
Would it be possible my installer installed the tires with these color dots on the inner side walls? I see no red or yellow dots anywhere’s on the outer side walls.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The dots are placed by manufacturers, but not all manufacturers use them. They are for balancing.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Most atv/utv tires don't have the dots.

Jack it up to where the tire just clears the ground and spin them to see if they are round.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I hope you get it figured out! I’m planning on a set of these come spring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most atv/utv tires don't have the dots.

Jack it up to where the tire just clears the ground and spin them to see if they are round.
I have jacked up right now to take the weight off since it'll be sitting a few days, I'm out of town, I'll check in a few days. Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hope you get it figured out! I’m planning on a set of these come spring.
Me too, love the ride vs stock except that slow speed 5-15 mph bounce! Ugh!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like this

I have yellow dots on all four tires didntsee any red ones. The shop installed them toward the inside. Neither dot lines up with the valve stem, but the fronts are 180 degrees opposite the valve stem and the rears are both 90 degrees off the valve stems. Seems to me they purposely installed them that way. Is it possible or did they mess up regardless?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts