Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Completely new to the SXS world, but after months of research and going back and forth on different makes and models and I decided upon the Yamaha Wolverine Rspec EPS. I live in Colorado and have a cabin in SE Wyoming. My wife and I plan on using the wolverine for our backcountry exploring/fishing/trail riding mobile. Ordered a horn and mirror in order to make it street legal in WY. Apart from that I think I am going to order a Wetsounds Stealth 6 soundbar, and that will be it. Plan on keeping it stock unless I see any reason to change anything once we get to riding it. Anything else most people do to these that I am overlooking? Cant wait to get out and explore the backcountry with this thing!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I considered every option, the new Polaris General is probably my most ideal machine. However its price and polaris's somewhat unreliable SXS reputation turned me off to it. However it was mostly the price. Just couldnt justify ~15K for a base model when I am completely new to the SXS world.

The machines I considered more seriously were the kawasaki teryx and the Honda pioneer 1000. I test rode the pioneer 1000. I really liked there seating options in the 5 person model. It looks like a great machine however it had a bit more "utility" oriented feel when I sat in it than I wanted. And while there DCT transmission worked and felt great on the test ride, I was scared of it breaking down a few years from now and costing me 1,000's to replace. While honda has been using that DCT for a few years in other applications, it was designed from the ground up for the pioneer 1000 and I didnt want to be the guinea pig for it. Again the price of the honda turned me off a bit, as well as its standard shocks. In the snowmobile world I know the difference a quality set of shocks can have on the ride, both short term and long term. So spending 15k+ on my ideal honda machine and still having basic shocks was a small turnoff for me. Power was great on the honda however. If I could get the pioneer 1000 with power steering for the price I got my Wolverine for, I would be on a Honda.

Finally considered the Teryx, as it is probably the wolverine's closest competitor. I did not test ride a teryx, but there is nothing bad I can say about them. From what I have heard they have a good reputation. I just didnt get the same excitement I got when I thought about owning a Teryx vs owning a wolverine.

For me I decided on the wolverine for a few reasons. First I got a fair price for it. 12,500$ OTD for a blue 2016 Wolverine Rspec w/ EPS and a 4 yr extended warranty. All ive read about the wolvie is that it rides great, somewhat comparable to more expensive models in the ride department. I liked its stock full underbody skidplate. Yamaha's sxs CVT's appear to be the best in the industry. Two things I wasnt sold on but got around was the power and the storage area in back. My ideal machine would have a bit bigger engine, and a tad bigger rear cargo area. But I figured not so much power would maybe be a good thing, less broken parts?, wont put myself in stupid situations, and easier/more controllable for my wife to drive. Finally its a Yamaha, and I respect Yamaha as I have only good things to say about the Yamaha power toys I have owned in the past.

Overall the wolverine was the best option for our needs I think.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wow similar to my experience the pioneer 1000 was too big for me now. I seriously considered a teryx and there have been refreshes on them (another in 2016) but the weight among a few other small things had me lean wolverine. They are great however it seems. For my needs and expected usage (trails, plowing, slow meandering through woods, some small obstacles) the Teryx and wolvie were the two that seems to fit best.

Good to hear you had the same set of choices. (Exactly the reason I stayed away from General).

Welcome!

·
Registered
207 Posts
You made the right decision. Yamaha is simply the best made. I researched for a month also. And the Yamaha wolvie beats out the rest at every bench mark. Now that Iv had mine for 4 months. It's been an amazing side by side and smokes my buddies Xp on just about every situation.

·
Registered
198 Posts
also consider a windshield, these things are cold in the winter without one, I too rode that Honda 1000-5 it was a beast, I would have bout it if the sticker wouldn't have been 17999;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome to the Wolverine. You will love it as much as the rest of us. Check out the build forum and you might see some mods that appeal to you.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Don't know what your street legal windshield requirements are in WY but the wind deflector is a great bang for the buck. It's amazing how much air it deflects up and over your face. I rode mine all winter here in Michigan in good comfort. Agree with previous post about the tires. This was my storage solution, fits real snug side to side, room for a spare tire front to back, fraction of the price of Yamah's box, $60 bucks I believe, Weathertite, Contico 3725 Contico 3725 long ride 1.jpg

Reactions: atkbike

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Coloradoan, what part of the state are you in?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tkuss & noload,

I am also from Colorado - Found this forum while searching for info on the Wolverine.

A friend has a Razor 4 passenger, my wife and I went out on a day trip this past fall and had a blast. I am trying to narrow down what UTV
I want. I really don't want a 4 passenger. I want something I can plow snow with. I am also tired of removing the mower deck, and then mounting a snow blower on a garden tractor. Also my wife needs to be able to plow snow if I am out of town for sometimes weeks at a time. I also want something to have fun with in the mountains. I might not be able to keep up with my friends Razor on a well groomed gravel road but in rougher terrain I should be able to hold my own. Since I am just getting into my research - I have a lot of questions - what dealers do you recommend in Colorado? I have a 6 x 12 foot trailer 3500 lb single axle that I hall my Motorcycle on (Suzuki M109R 1800) I think the trailer should be good. But what is the best way to secure the Wolverine? What do I need to do to the trailer? What else do I need to know?

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
We really considered the Teryx 4, and if I needed 4 seats that would have been the machine for us. The daughter, son-in-law have one and it does great for them and the grandsons.
I went with the Wolverine for; suspension travel, swept up undercarriage, rear wheel guards, superior ride comfort, Yamaha CVTs reputation, and the throttle position is more comfortable in the Wolverine,(for me) although I've heard Kawasaki has made changes to that.
I have followed them down steep hills and I have had to use my brakes to keep from running up on them(not by much though), dont know if the T4 is a little lower geared or the one way bearing holds it back at a little lower speed than the Wolverine. May not be the case now that I've done the clutch??
We did like the painted finish on the T4, 800cc twin, better lights, better doors, and the 6 ply tires, and mama liked the T4 syling better.
I was going to buy mine from the Chadron dealer in Neb, but Yamaha had a promo on that gave all purchasers in Colorado a Weatherby rifle, so I bought from Coyote Motor sports.
I do have to say that I am new to SXSs, been on ATVs since '84,we got one for comfort and I wanted something that gave me more confidence and security than riding double like we've been doing for many years. I wanted to do more stuff in Moab without the wife having to get off at every obstacle.
I will say say this thing impresses me every time we get it on the trail, it is so capable and solid, I cant help but be amazed at its effortless abilities to negotiate difficult terrain, and putting in a full day on rough trails doesnt leave be beat up and sore. I've disconnected my sway bar to give mine more flex for the riding we do.
We've only had it on a few trails here in Co, cant wait till we can get back to the high country, but we've been to Moab twice and are headed there again in a week or so.
I carry mine on a 6x11 ft trailer with a #3500 axle with 2 ratchet straps on the front and rear.
There are a lot of guys here on the forum that ride with other machines in their party and I'm sure they have good input as to how it runs with them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Completely new to the SXS world, but after months of research and going back and forth on different makes and models and I decided upon the Yamaha Wolverine Rspec EPS. I live in Colorado and have a cabin in SE Wyoming. My wife and I plan on using the wolverine for our backcountry exploring/fishing/trail riding mobile. Ordered a horn and mirror in order to make it street legal in WY. Apart from that I think I am going to order a Wetsounds Stealth 6 soundbar, and that will be it. Plan on keeping it stock unless I see any reason to change anything once we get to riding it. Anything else most people do to these that I am overlooking? Cant wait to get out and explore the backcountry with this thing!
I have a cabin in SE Wyoming too at Wold where are you located? There is a lot of good riding in the Snowies once the snow melts. We just brought our snowmobiles home last weekend but it seems that may have been to soon. I'm new to the Wolverines too, owned one for less than a month. I won a Viking in a sweepstakes and traded it for a Wolverine. I have had a Rhino since 2007 and have loved it and done a ton of mods to it, it's on tracks now. It the Wolverine is cut from the same cloth as the rhino you will be happy for years to come, my rhino has over 5000 miles and runs strong. Just keep the air filter clean, don't be shy about oil changes and keep and eye on the wheel bearings these are the main maintenance items on the rhino so I'm guessing the wolverine may be the same, or maybe not. You'll want a full windshield and a back to keep the weather off Half doors are also nice and I'll be looking for some soon. Congratulations on your purchase and let the fun begin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a cabin in Centennial WY. And live full time in Fort Collins.

I have bought my Rspec and two snowmobiles from Vickery Motorsports in denver and would highly recommend them. I have always payed ~1k less than msrp on all my new purchases, and you dont have to negotiate to get that price, at leas in my experiences. Have only dealt with there service department once and it was a great experience. I would highly recommend them.

I have a 5.5ft by 12ft aluminum utility trailer. I also strap the wolverine down with 4 tie downs, one to each corner of the trailer, i just find a good solid point on the wolvies frame to connect too.

I have no experience with side by sides yet, still have yet to get mine out. Im making it street legal in WY, need to install a few more parts than I can go it registered and fool around with it a bit. Still in no huge rush as it is still snowmobile season out here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts