Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would 27x10x14 on all corners be ok?
would it be too much wear and tear on the machine?

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Really depends on the weight of the tires. Some can get really heavy but plenty of people run heavier tires. Just remember that any change in tire size can cause more wear and tear. I'm running 28X9X14 front and 28X11X14 rear Mega Mayhems for the mud. Put stock tires back on if it's dry. There's a noticeable acceleration difference with the bigger tires too.

·
Registered
388 Posts
That would depend on many things. 1) How hard you drive it with the bigger tires. 2) How much heavier the new tires will be. 3) How much taller the new tires will be. IMO you can up grade in a tire on the wolverine but i wouldn't go crazy in size and weight or you can rob power and even cause premature wear and tear. It's more difficult for the machine to turn a taller, big lugged tire than it is for it to turn the light weight all terrain tire that it comes with. Many on here have upgraded with no problem but i believe they consider tire weight and how tall the tire is before they buy it. There is another thread on here i believe that says a lot about the subject. Again IMO the size tires you have chosen seems fairly conservative.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What do y'all think about the EFX Motoclaw 8 ply radial tires on STI HD6 matte black rims?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do mostly in the woods trail riding.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Just by looking around it would appear the Motoclaws are fairly heavy and stiff. You would lose some ride comfort and a good bit of acceleration.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I thought about those tires but I read that they are really stiff. They are heavy too, you will notice power loss.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been looking at running the efx motomax's in a 27×10-14s on all 4 corners. There websites says weight is 29.5 lbs a tire, where motoclaws are 37.6 lbs a tire in the same size..course motomaxs are 6 ply and motoclaws are 8ply..I like motoclaws but was thinking thats a lot of weight.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I am running the Roctane XD. They are 8 ply rated. A little heavy and a little stiff but I air them down to get the ride quality back. The Roctanes are 26.6 lbs for 26x9x12 and 3 lbs heavier for the 27s. If you are worried about ride, just air them down a bit. I can't see why any company uses the Bighorn 2.0 on any SXS. It's worth the small power loss going to a better tire. I called Maxxis a while back because my commander came with the bighorn 2.0s and they were very puncture prone. The Maxxis rep said they don't even recommend using the bighorn 2.0s on any machine larger than a 500. Look into the STI Roctanes or ITP blackwaters. They are both using newer technology and are able to keep the weight down. Roctane tread patters is quite similar to the original Bighorns so its a great all around tire.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've been looking at running the efx motomax's in a 27×10-14s on all 4 corners. There websites says weight is 29.5 lbs a tire, where motoclaws are 37.6 lbs a tire in the same size..course motomaxs are 6 ply and motoclaws are 8ply..I like motoclaws but was thinking thats a lot of weight.
Shouldn't notice much if any performance loss.. Plus you'll gain traction in more area.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was looking at the roctane xd 28/10. They are about 34 lbs. not worried about acceleration. Ill trade dependability and ground clearance for speed. Tried to look up the stock tire weight, couldn't find it.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
I'll second the notion that the BH 2.0's should not be on a SXS. They are basically balloon tires, junk that belongs on a small bore atv at best. As what what tires you SHOULD run on your Wolverine, I think a lot depends how far you ride from civilization, and how rough the terrain is. I have already learned the hard way that heavy machines and 6 ply tires don't jive with my style of riding. I pulled my Zilla's off my wife's grizz and threw em on the wolverine. Hardly any power loss, and holy traction batman! The ride was great, nice and smooth. It was wonderful, for about two hours until I tore a nasty gash in the sidewall. Luckily I was close to camp and limped it back. After that I didn't take the bike out until I put 8-ply tires on. I am running ITP Blackwaters, 28-10-12 all around. They are definitely a heavy tire, but it's worth it for the ability to not be stranded. They have pretty damn good traction in all terrain types, and clean well in mud. I love going fast, but I am willing to sacrifice the speed for stronger tires and more ground clearance.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have the Sedona ripsaws on my Sportsman 400 HO. Pretty good all terrain tire, rides a bit rough on paved roads. One thing I will add is I ripped off a valve stem on a rear tire. I was in a bottom marsh area about a 1/4 mile from the SUV and trailer. With no air in the tire, I made it back through mud, sand and a rather steep 75 foot hill.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts