Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

New sheave and 28" Blackwater Evo's installed

12K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  FordTruckMan 
#1 ·
This is the way these rigs should have came from the factory. I had a JBS Extreme sheave with 16gr weights, gold spring, wet clutch slugs and 28x10x12 Blackwater Evo's installed yesterday and this thing is an absolute beast now. The dealer also used their YDT tool to add fuel to it to help with the stalling issue and so far it is working great. This thing has way more acceleration now than it did stock. I am completely happy with everything we installed and can't wait to get it out on the trail system once the weather gets a little better.

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome. Can't wait to get mine and get it installed. Tell more about the YDT tool and what they did. How was the sheave and slug install ? Did you do it ? I did mine on my rhino and will probably do mine on the Wolvy.

#4 ·
The wheels are the black Viking SE wheels. I had my dealer do the sheave install and they said it was more time consuming than the install on my Rhino because of not having a tilt bed on the Wolverine. The YDT just stands for Yamaha Diagnostic Tool. I don't know what all exactly it can change but he said he set my fuel to 35 whatever that means. Before when in the technical stuff as you came off of the throttle the rpms would drop below the set idle rpm and it would kind of stumble to get back up to idle and sometimes die. It does not do that now.

#5 ·
Thanks. Can't wait to do mine. Give us an update once you put her thru the paces. I know it's the low end grunt that is the biggest gain but let us know the top end.

#8 ·
Awesome to know these things can go to beast mode, if you really want them to

#10 ·
It will be Monday before I can get a good top speed, we have snow now on the ground and with two people and 50lbs of feed in the back 48mph was all that felt safe. If I put it in low and stab it from a stand still it will barely bump the rev limiter before it shifts up enough. I still think that I am going to buy a pc5 so I can raise the rev limiter a bit. It was 30 degrees today and I rode though some really slow rough creek boulders and didnt have any dying.

#22 ·
WOW. I don't know how I missed this thread. It isn't lack of HP that is limiting you at 49/50mph, it is the 16g OD weights. I had the same issue with 16g, hit the revi limiter on the bottom end too, went up to 17g and it got little better. Went to 18g and the rev limiter issue went away, and my top speed was up to 55-56mph. I have the same exact tires as you, and used to have the same sheave setup. I have a set of 17g weights if you want them, I won't be needing them anymore. Checkout this thread.
http://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/12-wolverine-engine-drivetrain/4529-sheave-comparison.html

#17 ·
Yes, I slugged my clutch.

I did buy it all through my dealer who got all the parts through JBS and they installed it.

So I paid $1400 for everything listed below installed along with full service and front/rear diff fluid changed.
JBS Extreme sheave w/ 16gr weights
Gold spring
wet clutch slugs
28x10x12 Blackwater evo's all around
counteract balancing beads for my trailer tires

#24 ·
I am very happy with my 16's. I would bet that on that video is the only time mine has been above 40mph. When we set this up I wanted more low end than top end and I wanted the rpm's to stay up to give me the best throttle response in the speeds I ride the most in. We went a couple of weekends ago and did about 40 miles of up and down trails and I couldn't be happier with how my setup worked. I only used low a handful of times through the super technical stuff and some mud holes and never felt like I was putting any undo pressure on my wet clutch like I did on my Rhino. At some point I will add exhaust and a Dynatek Fusion with Dynatune and hopefully really wake this thing up.

#25 ·
Well then that is all that matters. If you are happy with hitting the rev limiter and losing top end in order to gain the great throttle response down low, then there is no problem. However, if you ever upgrade your exhaust and add the fuel and ignition controller you mentioned, you may want to consider 17g weights. With 17g weights, mine acted like yours does with 16g weights. However, with 16g on mine, the rev limiter came real fast when you went WOT from a dead stop, due to my added power from the controller and exhaust. Of course, if you have the wet clutch slugged that would help prevent hitting the rev limiter so easily. Mine was not slugged back when I had the 16g in there. All you can do is try it and see. And then tell everyone how it does lol. After all, that's what these forums are for!

This message was sent from my phone and may contain errors.

#26 ·
I just noticed you had the HMF Optimizer on yours so you didn't have the ability to raise the rev limiter. I am hoping that the Fusion will allow me to raise my rev limiter like the PC5 does so I don't have to worry about it. When I say it bumps the rev limiter now it's literally maybe cutting it out like once or maybe twice. It's so fast you have to be paying attention to the exhaust note to notice it and if you are the one driving you don't notice it.

I would have already bought a PC5 but I really didn't like the last one I had. I have ran PC3's and PC5's on my Raptors with no issues but the PC5 on my Stryker I wanted to rip off and throw it in the trash. I am hoping that the Fusion turns out to be as good as I think it will be.

#27 ·
Interesting, I have had very good luck with the PCV on my raptor as well. The only reason I don't have one on the wolvy is because they weren't available for it when I got my exhaust. OH and FWIW, Dynojet, who makes the PCV, has owned Dynatek since 2004. They are very similar devices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.