Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Hold the sheave so it doesn’t turn.
If it still doesnt brake loose then it’s a power issue.
A 20 volt cordless on the highest setting snaps those nuts loose no problem.
If it’s a power issue then the greater issue will be a lack of enough torque when you go back together.
If you know the battery is sufficiently charged and it’s still not doing it buy a Milwaukee or Dewalt 20 volt.

Reactions: urbangreyman

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It has to be a power issue.
A 20 volt cordless on the highest setting snaps those nuts loose no problem.
If it’s a power issue then the greater issue will be a lack of enough torque when you go back together.
If you know the battery is sufficiently charged and it’s still not doing it buy a Milwaukee or Dewalt 20 volt.
Ok off to the Lowe’s, it just does not seem to spin, it spins when not on the nut but nothing budged just see metal bits

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Ok off to the Lowe’s, it just does not seem to spin, it spins when not on the nut but nothing budged just see metal bits
Be sure to hold that sheave with the other hand. If the sheave turns then the nut has no chance to bust loose.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
If you are going to torque it back with a wrench then holding will be needed. I have made one out of an old Honda timing belt and a bar and I just cut off a tooth or two when I wrap it and it holds most all.
If you are seeing metal bits, check to make sure the socket is correct size.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Yes I did that, Home Depot only has a 18v Milwaukee but it’s torque is 1500 vs 500 on ryobi
My Ridgid 18V does a good job and is part of my system, but they are hard to find in the stores in my area.

Reactions: lusgi

·
Registered
3,262 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Cleaned up these so far, a little jagged edges where the weights come to stop on the lip of that disc. I will hit with a file very softly to get it polished smooth, most look good only one is kinda whoa. If the rest is looking good I have a chance to get Yama ultra matic grease from local hama dealer. Should I slap in the ultra grease and re assemble install and take it for a maximum of 20 mile trail ride or wait till the tinkseal and weights come Saturday. I’m jonesing to get it riding
Automotive tire Azure Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

White Blue Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim

Furniture Grey Automotive design Electric blue Tints and shades

Gear Bicycle part Font Rim Auto part

Blue Azure Textile Grey Hood

Azure Bicycle part Gas Electric blue Rim

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Face looks fine.
Collar and seal look like the grease was dry as hell. Yamalube sucks.
File cam plate if you like but not necessary. As you can see the weights aren’t traveling all the way the the sharp edge so they won’t get scalped.
I would Wait for the Tinkseal. It will be slick even if it became dry and it conditions the seals so they last longer, but it won’t be the end of the world if you gotta ride, Yamalube and old weights will continue on, another cycle. You will need some poly grease for the secondary if you go that route.
Secondary will likely have a slight dish in the face.

• Love

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yes I did that, Home Depot only has a 18v Milwaukee but it’s torque is 1500 vs 500 on ryobi
I use a pneumatic Ingersoll Rand impact and it breaks the nut loose without holding the sheave.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Face looks fine.
Collar and seal look like the grease was dry as hell. Yamalube sucks.
File cam plate if you like but not necessary. As you can see the weights aren’t traveling all the way the the sharp edge so they won’t get scalped.
I would Wait for the Tinkseal. It will be slick even if it became dry and it conditions the seals so they last longer, but it won’t be the end of the world if you gotta ride, Yamalube and old weights will continue on, another cycle. You will need some poly grease for the secondary if you go that route.
Secondary will likely have a slight dish in the face.

so I could technically be ok if lubed with Yama and reinstalled for a short days ride and then break down on Saturday rebuild with new parts? The seal did look slightly worn with an area of dried dust less than inch, the rest was thick black grease

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
so I could technically be ok if lubed with Yama and reinstalled for a short days ride and then break down on Saturday rebuild with new parts? The seal did look slightly worn with an area of dried dust less than inch, the rest was thick black grease
Yes, you could get by short time if the labor doesn’t bother you and the ride is important.
I would be concerned about the seal long term.
The black grease is normal at the time of service. It is slowly contaminated by dust over the cycle. Even Tinkseal which is pure white will be grey in color after a 100 miles or less.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yes, you could get by short time if the labor doesn’t bother you and the ride is important.
I would be concerned about the seal long term.
The black grease is normal at the time of service. It is slowly contaminated by dust over the cycle. Even Tinkseal which is pure white will be grey in color after a 100 miles or less.
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim

I’m about to install the little blocks, I can look online but what way do the little notches sit in the collar when installed, should you see them from top view or do the notches sit facing the weights inside

also how’s the line job look here I think it’s 90grams worth the Yama bottle says 127grams total with about a third remaining in bottle now

21 - 40 of 63 Posts