Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete newbie here, please bear with my lack of Auto/Mechanical knowledge

I have a 2021 R SPEC @4500 miles, it was used by an Alaska Denali tour atv company and only did one season of work. However I was not able to obtain a service record, so Im guessing at worst there has been ZERO maintenance on the Clutch/Belt/CVT and at best, it may have been serviced around the suggested 3k or less.

I am worried to take it on a trail before I check into the CVT Clutch area, it was extremely dirty when I serviced the fluids and washed it upon dealership delivery.

I have read the stickys up top, but i am confused about what actual Parts I should purchase, I dont mind spending a little more to replace a part that might not be compromised in the good fortune that it may not give me issues until a new service mile is achieved.

I know it might be hard to say what needs to be replaced without even entering the Clutch housing, but what would be the most likely and easy to replace items in the clutch from say like Partzilla.com Yamaha Side by Side 2021 OEM Parts Diagram for CLUTCH | Partzilla.com

Will i need new primary and secondary sheaves, new Cam? Bearings?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Complete newbie here, please bear with my lack of Auto/Mechanical knowledge

I have a 2021 R SPEC @4500 miles, it was used by an Alaska Denali tour atv company and only did one season of work. However I was not able to obtain a service record, so Im guessing at worst there has been ZERO maintenance on the Clutch/Belt/CVT and at best, it may have been serviced around the suggested 3k or less.

I am worried to take it on a trail before I check into the CVT Clutch area, it was extremely dirty when I serviced the fluids and washed it upon dealership delivery.

I have read the stickys up top, but i am confused about what actual Parts I should purchase, I dont mind spending a little more to replace a part that might not be compromised in the good fortune that it may not give me issues until a new service mile is achieved.

I know it might be hard to say what needs to be replaced without even entering the Clutch housing, but what would be the most likely and easy to replace items in the clutch from say like Partzilla.com Yamaha Side by Side 2021 OEM Parts Diagram for CLUTCH | Partzilla.com

Will i need new primary and secondary sheaves, new Cam? Bearings?
Order all the seals for sure for the primary and secondary and new cam plate sliders. The cam plate will be fine.
The primary should be fine but order new roller weights.
The secondary may have some mild wear in the face but should go longer but definitely inspect the faces with a straight edge to document how hollowed out they may or may not be for the future.
There won’t likely be any bearings needing to be replaced but checking the function of them by by hand turning them needs to be done while it’s apart.
Personally I’d get a belt too. It may be fine but I’d just change it and keep the old one for an emergency spare if ever needed.
I recommend getting roller weights from UTV engineering. Maybe read some of the info in the CVT section on clutching and decide if you want to use lighter weights. If it has larger than stock size tires or you plan on changing to larger tires put 18s in it. Get the cam plate sliders from UTV Engineering as well and enough Tinkseal to do the job and use the Tinkseal In both the primary and secondary instead of what the service manual says.
It’s really hard to imagine that it didn’t have at least one sheave service done already if it’s functioning well at 4500 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
18- UTV Engineering
20- UTV Engineering

Items I would replace listed above.
UTV Engineering for those specific items as Budro mentioned.
I would also get a couple jars of Tinkseal from UTV Engineering or a quality alternative.
Don't forget a spring compressor for the Secondary Sheave, not sure who sells them now, but there are a couple sites.

You may also want to browse my thread 'Need Alternative to Ultramatic Grease' thread here for more information that may help make that journey easier. Link

Reactions: Ron505 and Budro2

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Thank you all for the help! Here’s a photo I got does it change your mind seeing all this rust, yikes! View attachment 103603
That is normal.
Just humidity and condensation alone rusts that outer surface. Doesn’t mean that it was swamped with water. Has nothing to do with the sliding components inside that are greased and sealed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol I can’t get the last 10mm at the 6 o clock bottom right to remove the belt cover. I do t have an appropriate extension for my 3/8, if they only had the ridge of plastic out of the way I could have this taken apart……maybe a finger length extension… off to Napa

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
If I recall, a 1-1/16" socket fits also. I'd get a impact socket myself.
My chrome one was busted so I went ahead and ordered the 27mm too.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Even tho it is not very old, it would not hurt to get a new case gasket which is at the seam of the two halves and keeps water and dirt out of the CVT. I can't tell from pic what shape it's in but they used not to be too much lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok hopefully Saturday it’s delivered and I can service the primary, lube and reinstall. I may wait a week until secondary parts arrive before before worrying about that since you all say they don’t wear as fast. Soon it’s time to drive this expensive paper weight in my parking lot!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Am I going to need special tools to hold the sheave on the left while using an impact tool on the right side and vice versa when loosening/tightening or can I use some ******* engineering like a 2x4 or some Home Depot tools

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Am I going to need special tools to hold the sheave on the left while using an impact tool on the right side and vice versa when loosening/tightening or can I use some *** engineering like a 2x4 or some Home Depot tools
You can just hold the sheave you are tightening with your hand while using the impact.

·
Registered
621 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The impact gun ryobi cordless and 27 deep are not removing the primary….I don’t want to strip or break anything and it’s my first time using it. I have it counter clockwise any advice guys?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts