Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

NEW!! Kawasaki Teryx KRX 1000

71K views 202 replies 41 participants last post by  Ghost23 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
By the numbers it should out perform them both and the RZR Xp 1000 in every way except a drag race. This is the 1st side by side designed that hasn’t disappointed me right out of the gate. It’s also got the most sex appeal. Just a little big for tight trails! They covered a lot of things others were lacking and kept the best of things that work well. It also has a huge line of accessories ready to go! Hopefully it will be as reliable as expected!

#3 ·
I know! my thoughts exactly, love that it still have the centrifugal clutch too!

Looking at the dash, it has built in CVT belt temp, that's the first I've ever seen on a stock side-by-side; snorkels from stock aren't too shabby either.

It's like Kawasaki actually listened to all the things people want and then added them!! really wondering how they hold up for reliability, but I put Kawasaki up there with Yamaha, my KLR650 has never failed me!

#4 · (Edited)
It's nice to see Kawasaki stepping up its game but this is no YXZ 1000 killer, far from it!

It has cast pistons and a wet sump oil system vs the YXZ 1000's dry sump and forged internals. Yamaha's rear radiator and air intake are industry-leading.

Topping out at 68 MPH at 9K+ RPM and it takes awhile to get there

It has more suspension travel than the YXZ, but it's also 68" wide vs the YXZ at 64"

It's 400 lbs heavier than the YXZ 1000 and its wet clutch system will rob probably 10% of it's rumored ~112 HP

It's 7" longer with a wheelbase of almost 9" longer, combined with a 4" wider track, I'm betting it's going to be less nimble than the YXZ 1000 in the tight technical stuff despite having about the same turning radius.

So it looks like a dune racer without the power to unseat the competition and we'll have to see how it does in the technical stuff.

I do like the instrument cluster and built-in CVT temp gauge.

No more 3 year warranty: 6 months now.

Great news for Kawasaki zealots loyal to the Teryx model\branding but at ~$20K, I think there are better options.

#7 ·
I think it’s a good entry machine for them in the sport side of things. I suspect they’ll build on it for the duners in HP numbers going ahead. I think it’s going to be a star in Moab. The extra wheel base should do nothing but help it and 33s will fit under it with no modifications. Sounds like they did a good job regarding air intake for engine and CVT. It’s a capable machine to go do about anything and it’s got leg room, storage hauling capacity along with nice rack options to haul some stuff with you. Very well rounded for the average person looking to do various things and not have to mod the hell out of it. I’d like to see them come out with something similar in a 64” by 90 version going ahead!

#8 ·
At least they're getting into the game, which is good for everyone from appeasing the Kawasaki fans as well as keep the other manufacturers from resting on their laurels.

#9 ·
I've been lurking on the Teryx Forums since yesterday. Several ofthose guys are crapping on it. Calling it nothing special & underwhelming. To each his own but i like it & so does my Teryx buddy. He just about had his wife talked into a Talon X & now he's not so sure. As far as hp, he sent me pics of a factory turbo option already in the works. Probably do like Honda & offer it after the initial release. 68" wide though. I know Rzr & Wildcat guys that are that wide get through the trees but 64 is better around here imo.

#12 ·
I like the looks of the KRX1000 a lot better then the Talon or YXZ. Should be a good one!

#13 ·
I agree Budro, this thing should ROCK in Moab,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IF they got the low range gearing right, and I'm guessing they did with the experience I've had riding with a Teryx T4, which has superior gearing to my Wolverine 708.

77 ft lbs torque, great ground clearance, superb suspension travel, 351 lbs bed cap, 31's on 15's, high air intake for water crossings,the 4x4 system that works best for me, 1.5 gallons more fuel on board than YXZ, my math says 272 Lbs more than YXZ, low range without rebuilding a transmission or changing flywheel wheels.
I dont need 10,500 rpm red line, I need low end torque, and I prefer regular doors as opposed to suicide, sure looks good to me on paper, anxious to sit in one and check out the "feel".
Hopefully dont have to modify the door opening, bolsters or seats to have easy access to the cockpit!
Wonder what its like to perform regular maintenance on?
Their release video shows a multi-dimensional machine that I'm sure isnt the absolute best at everything, but it looks like it will come pretty close to handling a variety of terrains rather well, (without, like you said Budro, "modifying the hell out of it") except for the trails with the 50" pinch gates, of course!
For me I wouldnt need lift kits that potentially overtax frame components and change the geometry, bigger tires that overload steering, brakes, and suspension components, wheel spacers that load bearings and suspension different than they were designed for, and best of all I wouldnt be screwing around with a clutch trying to find the right combo to get it to climb at 12,000+ feet of elevation,,,,,,,,,,,,,IF they got the low range right.

BUT,,,,,,,The big question from the wife is: does it ride as nice as the Wolverine???

#15 · (Edited)
I predict it will be hugely popular out west here. There’s a lot of trails that aren’t so narrow and tight to ride, lots of rock crawling places to go where I believe it will be possibly number 1 and plenty of open dune country as well. A turbo kit is already designed that is predicated to be released by the end of the rear for 175 HP and while that doesn’t take top seat it will be a top competitor. There is a long travel kit already available putting it at 72” wide with another 1.5” of wheel travel. I like the cage and the overall appearance. I’ve always preferred the RZR look and overall platform over anything out there but would never own one. I think Polaris finally just got beat on on looks and there winning platform but that will yet to be determined in real world comparisons. General maintenance was well thought out and looks to be very user friendly. I like the doors too. Full coverage, arm rests, solid, normal design. I can’t imagine this CVT being a belt blower and the CVT temp gage is going to be the new standard going forward for every manufacturer I’d bet. While I was excited about the Talon with no CVT it’s not yet proven and there have been some red flags already. Also from what I’m reading it has a whine that makes our gen 1 wolverine seem mild. I’ll take this true locking diff over I4wd any day and the Talons just Fugly. I’ve tried to like the appearance but I just can’t. It also sucks up dirt in the intake like nobody’s business, and why 28” donuts on a 100 Hp machine with little room in design to go bigger?
I can’t imagine them sticking with the old Teryx platform much longer with its extremely limited wheel travel in today’s world. I hope they build something a little smaller in the next couple years. No need to go bigger.

I don’t think your wife will have to worry about the ride LOL. You have my permission to go get one, I’ll meet you in Moab and go for a ride in it with you right up the Escalator!!!!!

I’m going to wait another year or 2 before stepping up. The Maverick sport X RC is also tickling my thoughts. 15” ground clearance with 30s. 33s fit with no modifications and has been tested that way at Johnson Valley king of hammers without belts slipping and still plenty low. 999cc, almost 15” of travel front and rear, 64” wide. I like there cargo and rack better than the Kawasaki too. It won’t be as good a crawler as the Kawi but would suit some of the places I go better and will still be extremely capable. Reviews are good on reliability in general so far but ill never buy the 1st model year of anything ever again!

#14 ·
I have owned and like Kawi’s a lot. I think it’s a great entry for them into the pure sport market and would consider one, if I couldn’t buy a new yxz for a few thousand less. I really wish they’d overhaul the regular and 4 seater teryx though. The X2/X4 is all that.

Reactions: Budro2
#16 ·
I personally think Polaris is still safe, get a 80mph machine for $14k to $18k depending where you buy it. Only thing I think this shines at is lower speed technical riding with the clutch system with the ability to have some faster trail fun.

A plain ole cheapest model XP 1000 will eat this machines lunch on anything faster, duning, fast trail riding like cross country racing style of riding which I I do when I can ride. Too heavy to be good at anything but the slower style of sport riding and it might be one of the best at the really slow stuff.

#17 ·
Oh don't ever rule out a green machine for lack of speed. History would tell you that this would be a mistake. I have owned, rode, and raced a ton of Kawi's, and I was never at a disadvantage because of a lack of speed (on versions that were built to be fast). Every machine out there has a strong and a weak point, and it will interesting to see what the kawasaki's weak point is. If this machine turns out to be slow in comparison, it will be a little disappointing to me, but like others have said speed isn't important to everyone.

#19 ·
I really like this Kawasaki but it is heavy and slow at 68 mph tops according to a video online, and it is slow to get there.
I have to go with Todd on the suspected performance from the information that is available right now.
But it is hard to believe that Kawasaki would release a slow one.

#23 ·
I know peak torque ratings can be vague for real world experience, but I cant help but think this will dig hard out of the corners with the torque it has.
Does this make sense or is my assumption wrong???

Does anyone know torque values for some of the other 1000cc engines out there?

#36 ·
It will certainly dig hard enough out of the corner for me. It’s performance will also be way beyond my needs. I’ll take a low geared 60 mph machine any day. Well done Kawasaki! It certainly applies to this potential buyer. There are already plenty of choices out there for the fast and furious. I for one am glad to see a brand break the mold and do something unlike the rest!

#25 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Polaris lists the XP 1000 at an "Estimated Dry Weight" of 1448lb, and Kawasaki list the KRX at 1863lb "curb weight" (difference of 415 lb) which by the definitions of curb weight I've found is a "vehicle with all fluids, as it sets on the curb" this may or may not include a full tank of fuel (which in this case could mean 60 lb just in gasoline). So I'm not sure what the weight difference truly is??

#30 ·
KRX 1000 Curb Weight 1896.3

YXZ 1000 Wet Weight: 1561

So 335 lbs

#37 ·
KT Performance is making a turbo for the KRX 1000 slated to be out by end of year Fisher off road just posted a video of a model " of the turbo" at the unveiling in Texas

#43 ·
James I’m curious why you think a machine that has zero trail time, has not been proven to be reliable, is all of a sudden more durable than YXZ? Do you own a Yxz? Have you driven a YXZ? I own a 2017 yxz ss model I have had ZERO issues with the machine. I also own a 2016 Wolverine no issues with it either. The only issues with a YXZ is (1) inexperience (2) don’t understand how to drive it. (3) Try do make it do something it was not designed to perform. The YXZ is a pure speed demon it was not designed for rock climbing, deep mudd, or slow trail riding. The 2016-2018 is pure speed machines dunes and desert riding or fast trails. If you rode 2 stroke dirt bikes then driving a YXZ is not a problem. But to say something is more durable without any trail time well is just #$$&$$. I like Kawasaki I have owned several but time will tell how durable it will be.

#40 ·
I agree nice looking machine. For sure wouldn't work for me in western Montana mountains. Some of the trails are tight. I also can get on most the 50" trails as well.

#41 ·
I'm more of a recreational trail rider and most of our trails have a 35 mph speed limit so this machine would offer all that I would need in most cases. There is lots of road riding you can do without this speed limitation in our state. To me, the Kawi really looks like a well-blended machine and could work great for a lot of people if they're willing to be honest with themselves and not succumb to peer pressure. However, the 68" width is a "no-go" here in MN with a 65" width restriction - it will have to be registered as an ORV rather than a UTV and that severely limits riding destinations. DNR has been ticketing for width this season and lots of people have been fined. We also have lots of 50" limited trails too so it makes me wonder why our home-state manufacturer build a 55" wide quad. I guess they plan on paying lobbyists to change our current restrictions.

#44 · (Edited)
Kawasaki appears to have truly done their homework in offering a one-size-fits-all machine aside from it's width. Many states have the 65" limit and we're still struggling with that in Maine because of some landowners. If width wasn't an issue, I would probably take this new Kawasaki over the Honda Talon. As others have stated, if riders could put peer pressure and pride aside, most would be truly happy with the KRX in stock form.

#45 ·
I was able to look at one at Bangor Motorsports this afternoon. It happened to be sitting right next to a Honda Talon X. It made the Talon seem like a bad joke. It's huge and it's components are extremely beefy. My 6' 280lb frame felt the ergonomics were spot on with plenty of legroom and sitting upright enough so you had good visibility. I was allowed to fire it up and even in a metal storage shed it wasn't overly loud at idle and yet sounded great. Holding a conversation at 30mph with helmets remains to be seen or heard. My two initial complaints are no center console for storage and arm rest. Sorry, a machine of this caliber and size should have at least a small one standard. The other complaint is the passenger grab bar could use a little refinement. It's going to be a serious rattle trap unless you wrap it in a piece of rubber from an inner-tube or something. I did walk away impressed with this new offering from Kawasaki.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.