Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
If you look at other manufacturers trail editions, they are mostly lower gearing and some added accessories.
I have seen 2 KRX's here in WV.
Way to wide. She's a big girl with birth giving hips for sure....lol

Edit: I will say that the suspension set up is sweet. Whoever designed it knew what they were doing.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Today's new Kawasaki KRX release was just as disappointing as the last few Yamaha releases. No major changes, just a couple more colors and some preinstalled factory accessories. They really dropped the ball as they had enough interest to crash their site for two hours.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,206 Posts
Today's new Kawasaki KRX release was just as disappointing as the last few Yamaha releases. No major changes, just a couple more colors and some preinstalled factory accessories. They really dropped the ball as they had enough interest to crash their site for two hours.
I'm glad they're fixing all the issues but couldn't help but take a stab at the 'trail' version, which is still at 68". It comes with dual chainsaws, one at each side, a bulldozer plow up front, and a mirror that makes it look skinnier when you look into it. :D

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i'm glad they're fixing all the issues but couldn't help but take a stab at the 'trail' version, which is still at 68". It comes with dual chainsaws, one at each sid, a bulldozer plow up front, and a mirror that makes it look skinnier when you look into it. :d
lmao hahahahaha

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
So far with 350 miles of private and outlaw trails I've yet to find a place it wouldn't fit. Width wise it really don't feel much bigger than the Gen 1 Wolverine. The wheel base hurts much more in the tight trails. The short wheelbase is what makes the wolverine quicker in real tight stuff. The suspension does allow you catch pretty quick when you slow way down for tight corners.

Now if you get those chainsaw mounts figured out, I'll be first in line. I'd swear we trim a trail this year and the end you start with is overgrown by the time you finish the far end. In our trails they all come with dozer blades.

https://i.imgur.com/RMcATrI.mp4

·
Registered
905 Posts
When I saw the trail version I got a little excited. I thought it would be a 60-64” version but when I read the specs it’s 68” wide. It won’t work for me where I ride. I rub the fenders often with my Wolverine now. I may try a YXZ next but I’m waiting to see what’s coming from Yamaha for 2021. It’s nice to have competition.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
When I saw the trail version I got a little excited. I thought it would be a 60-60” version but when I read the specs it’s 68” wide. It won’t work for me where I ride. I rub the fenders often with my Wolverine now. I may try a YXZ next but I’m waiting to see what’s coming from Yamaha for 2021. It’s nice to have competitive.
Everyone did. If you look at the machine it looks like it was designed that way, like the Talon.

We ride with a few YXZ's. They are harder to get through tight stuff then the KRX.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Good vid of a KRX and a X2 at Uwharrie. I would have liked to see more of the X2 and some specs on it. Looks like 28's on the X2 but it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Time to say farewell. It's been fun and the Wolverine has amazed for what it can do given its specification. But, the KRX1000 is so much better for our Colorado trails. 450 mls in and I have no regrets. The KRX feel like the Wolverine on steroids. Pretty much the same controls, although nice to be able to select 4WD and Diff Lock on the fly. I used to watch mates in their RZR900's and 1,000's romp away on the steeps. Now they watch me. Word of warning, don't test one unless you're ready to buy.

Have fun and hope to see you on the trails.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,497 Posts
No danger as 60 inches is the max for me. Already 10 inch more than what I started out looking at which were all 50 inch. Now if they came out with a 60 inch chassis and had storage etc maybe on the next machine.
cheers

Reactions: TimBo

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,394 Posts
I saw a couple KRX's last week on the HMT. They were factory riders that travel around the country testing/driving/showing their machines! (I wish I had a job like that.) They stopped and chatted with us for quite a while. Very nice/knowledgeable/professional young guys. They looked like great machines, but everybody in our group felt that they were too large for trails we ride there and at home. One friend compared their size to a Jeep. Maybe there was some "New SXS Envy" involved...not sure. But those machines are BIG!!! Very cool looking machines in person though.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
First thought when I saw it... Mid/south West machine.
The size limits usage on the East coast and the guys out West say it needs more power because of weight.

A true Trail version 60-64 would sell good on the East. West Coast guys just need to go Turbo.

Again, the geometry of the suspension looks really good and I figure they are working out any issues.
I haven't followed their forums in a while though.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,497 Posts
Budro2 has pretty much summed it up speed and HP are not the key requirements. Are your trails OneWay? I need passing room for on comers and others on the trail. Storage is a must have and especially when gas range is needed for carrying more fuel. But has said they're listening, contrary to Yamaha who's got their heads in the sand. It certainly gives us that impression. Yamaha needs to revamp their quality control Quick IMO before more jump ship. Us in Canada its a $20,000 investment to get a new machine. We don't want to be broke down on a new machine not fixing faults they've over looked either. It just got to be right, reliable, and durable its not a lot to ask for what we pay.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Same motor, de-sized (minus 4 to 6" each way) with a little CVT work and it gets into the realm of consideration. For me, the Talon is an interesting dream with some different rear suspension and a belt. I basically like the Talon X, but scared of a $4 - 5000 transmission fix, which comes purely from a fear and no info. A belt/CVT gives me some comfort that it is a manageable item. I believe the wet clutch is sweet for driving but no real high horsepower cars are running it that I know of, and it remains to be seen how it will perform long-term on the heavier KRX. That thing is almost as heavy as the Miata I had 30 years ago. Now that's a thought, a small four cylinder and auto trans .....

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I wished this thing was narrower myself, but after putting a few hundred miles on it riding tight OH and PA trails it's not even a thought. The only time width would be an issue is for legal issues. It's 2 inches on each side at the tires the body is much narrower. The roof is under 4ft. How often are often are you going through anything that tight? After driving it anything narrower may become an issue with stability.
Gen 1 with 28's on the trailer behind the KRX.

The only size issue comes from the length. It's becoming less of an issue the more I get used to it but is the only time I see the size being a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Yep, sounds like it has become the new normal. Great pics!

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,497 Posts
Don't count the YXZ out of the game just yet!

Well I got a email form UTV Action New to subscribe. The New KRX 1000 was on the front cover but required a subscription to get. I went to the KRX website and looked at 2021 Special Edition.

OMG Well, don't know about you guy but MSRP - Plus taxes and other likely dealer charger it listed at $30,000 (round a its coffee money close)!!! I put money into a good newesh SUV before into a toy like that. None of these are worth that kind of money and few can afford that. Especially retired!! 68 inch still way to wide for here and me. 60 inch is max and is tight in many instances especially if you ride trails fast. trouble is just ahead, always!

I'm passing 500% on them

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Ya, the two new packages seem priced pretty high for what get. They also seem to hit you guys up north pretty hard on these things. When I bought mine it was within $500 of an X2 XTR at the same dealer. I think the KRX was the cheaper of the 2, but cant recall for sure. I just remember they where 500 apart at the time.

161 - 180 of 203 Posts