Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,497 Posts
For the most part up here in Ontario the trails are either converted Rail bed and/or snowmobile trails with some purely ATV though the thicker rougher terrain which isn't used for other machines. Most of the later won't handle a 60" SxS fitting between maple or pine trees. Also actual width of the trail aren't near wide enough and 6 -8ft trail width is more the norm. Hence when another machine is approaching (and plenty are coming the other way toward me) at least one has to pull over into the bush in between the big trees as there are plenty. Many timed due fast drivers you're making this transition of slowing down and biting the bush pretty fast and hope not to drop into a bush hidden gorge or hit a tree (they don't move or loose to anyone taking them on).

Hence for most of Ontario trails and forested areas you're going to likely have problems unless you vetted it in advance and/or see the section is much wider than norm as a logging road would be. It all depends and going into the unknown without acceptable passage does not make for a good experience should you have to back up if you can some distance as well as turning around. Then KRX's are Loonnnggg.... and turning them around in the bush would require 40 acres to turn that rig around. LOL

I've attacked some angles going onto the trail almost parallel at a good angle and the feeling is not as unnerving in the Wolverine as it is in other machines narrower. It a great all round width and besides I do want a rear storage area as large as possible with good weight rating > 300lbs along with a cab & roof. The KRX minded me of the new class of snowmobiles decades ago like the new Legend from BRP and other skis w/suspension well exposed and minimal covering around the front and engine area essentially not body or cowling in front unlike the earlier ones which had a full wind block leg, thighs, upper body windshield

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,497 Posts
Why doesn't Yamaha merge the best of the Viking/Rhino into the wolverine. Twin engine included with slightly lower default High rage gearing us no flying. Reliability to get out to where and back is key. HP and high speed is not as you don't go when it don't run anymore!!!! Got it, HP needed to deliver torque and min speed for trails and/or tough almost stuck situations. They can provide a higher end sport version on much higher HP etc but as most sais 27" tire should be a default as well.

Reactions: Jraoffroad

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I agree with everything you said except the 27's. Anything new coming out needs at least 29's. 30's minimum on a 1000. Within the next 5 years I see 32's being the smallest tire to get around and 35-37 being the norm around here.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,497 Posts
I agree with everything you said except the 27's. Anything new coming out needs at least 29's. 30's minimum on a 1000. Within the next 5 years I see 32's being the smallest tire to get around and 35-37 being the norm around here.
Well, Can I say I was being conservative since I am running 27" HTR which are higher or taller than the norm and I find them quit adequate in height. I certain have a much better outlook on what to look into should I need another or new machine. Especially if I am screwed in getting my Subaru engine repaired as it should be by default. I'll see this week when I take it in. If Yamaha says NO, then said to say I am done with Yamaha. No trust in my purchasing $$$ for these oem not doing the right thing as its a documented problem. I'd be gone and also not ever recommend these to anyone especially with current issues in the newer models most are unware of.

Yeh, maybe nothing better. But I don't tollerate surprises like Yamaha has thrown out. It simple solution and no amount of millions of dollars in advertising is going to sway enlightened buyers.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
This is part of the reason I went Kawi. I didn't have a huge issue with it not being a Yamaha engine. Really pretty common these days. I did expect Yamaha reliability. I'm not sure we got that. The other thing I expected was the line to be around for 10+ years like yamaha has done in the past. If yamaha keeps doing major redesigns every 2-3 years I will never look at them again. Gen 1, 3 years. X2, 1 year. YXZ, 3 years. Yamaha was known for 10+ year runs of models. This is not the road to aftermarket support or machines you can still get parts for in 15 years.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I'd hold back on that judgement on the X2/X4 and take the opposite view. They addressed weak points in the shock mounts and improved the rear A-arms to enable larger tires.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I'd hold back on that judgement on the X2/X4 and take the opposite view. They addressed weak points in the shock mounts and improved the rear A-arms to enable larger tires.
Yes they did. But they did it in such a way that 2019 X2's will see nothing for aftermarket suspension. What out now is as good as it will get. Anything that is not interchangeable with the updated models will become hard to get.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
True that! I’m the proud Papa of a bastard, LOL

(With a Perfex 2” lift)

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,497 Posts
I am not looking but the Dropped valve and Fuel pump issues are crucial and should not be ignored. Unless you're getting both addressed out of the gate before taking delivery of said machine.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I found a Youtube channel that does a good job showing that the size of the KRX is not an issue and how capable it is in our tight coal country trails. He also does a good job showing the typical OH, PA and WV trails. I can't help who his sponsors are.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeKrYGaIgNa7xvKmC4aqLhQ

·
Super Moderator
495 Posts
I wouldn't classify those as tight trails.
They are actually roads with underbrush and limbs grown in on the sides.
The KRX will not physically fit on some of our trails.
66" is all that will go between the trees and we have sharp turns that even the shortest sxs's have to back up and do a double take to get around most of the time.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
66" is all that will go between the trees and we have sharp turns that even the shortest sxs's have to back up and do a double take to get around most of the time.
Agreed, I watched two of the videos and I kept waiting for the trees!

Reactions: TN_Max

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
They are not he tightest stuff for sure, but I think they show what most the wv outlaw trails and pa trails look like. The much tighter stuff is usually private land. Most of the trails in PA and WV are railbeds, old haul roads, old county roads or gaslines.

Reactions: Ghost23 and Paul65

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
They are not he tightest stuff for sure, but I think they show what most the wv outlaw trails and pa trails look like. The much tighter stuff is usually private land. Most of the trails in PA and WV are railbeds, old haul roads, old county roads or gaslines.
Very true! I knew what you meant.

On my local (private) trails I barely fit at 59” through extensive (1 mile +) sections.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I know guys that have tighter and rougher driveways.....lol. J/K
We had one for about 10 years before the new road went in. We stopped maintaining this drive about 6-8 years ago. Its was are only access from about 2000 until then.

Reactions: TN_Max and Paul65

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Only riding I have done in KY is Black mountain in the Zuk.

Reactions: atkbike and Paul65

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Ok, I watched a few more and most aren't all that tight. I only watched the mudhole one and skipped around a few others before posting that. Those are the type trails that in my experience damage the most stuff. Theres always a log, rock or stump just in the weeds waiting to rip something off.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,497 Posts
Ok, I watched a few more and most aren't all that tight. I only watched the mudhole one and skipped around a few others before posting that. Those are the type trails that in my experience damage the most stuff. Theres always a log, rock or stump just in the weeds waiting to rip something off.
Precisely, we've learned that from Snowmobiling for decades. The deep fluffy powered white snow can easily hide disasterous obstacles and some enough the gut the engine right out if you line up between the skis as the first instance I say too many decades ago to remember other than it was a Red Rupp Sled. Snow or grass, brush even you have go slow unless you'd been on the exact path know/remember 100%.

Reactions: Ghost23
181 - 200 of 203 Posts