Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys and gals. This is going to be long so you might want to skip to the end if you want to read the TL;DR portion.

I am in the process of selling my 2007 Honda Rincon and my wife's 2009 Honda Recon and plan on replacing them with some type of SXS. I haven't fully decided though, on what I want to get.

No one company seems to offer exactly what I want. I would really like to buy another Honda as mine have never caused me a bit of trouble. But I don't like the offerings that Honda has. I absolutely love driving my wife's Recon around. It is so much fun to shift through the gears and I like that it has plenty of engine braking. (I live on a very steep hill)

I don't care about high speed and I think that a large amount of horsepower is detrimental to the longevity of components in a SXS weight vehicle. The WWII Jeep only made ~60HP and it weighed ~2,500 lbs.:rolleyes:

What I have looked at:

The P1000 is too big and expensive.

The P700 has then same engine and a slightly lower geared transmission than my Rincon, which is one of the things I don't like about my Rincon. I hate that my Rincon will only engine brake down to around 8 MPH. That is still too fast for me and I don't like how tall the gears are in it. I realize the P700 is lower geared but I still don't think it is low enough geared.

The P500 has a really cool transmission that I like but I just don't like the rest of the machine. When I went up to Abernathy's to look at it and I asked a friend of brother that works there to see one, he looked at me really funny but had one brought out anyway, and while I was test driving it, he told my brother to "Please don't let him buy that". I actually liked some of the features on it but there were lots more about it that I didn't like. I really liked the paddle shifters and the manual transmission. I don't like the interior size, I don't like the lack of a bed, I don't like the exposed radiator and I don't like the way I sit in it.

I also checked out the Wolverine while I was there. I drove it around the parking lot and I liked more about it than I did the P500. I really liked the interior, I liked the fact it comes with a roof and I like the protection the radiator has and I like the air intake positions/battery location. I still would rather have a manual transmission though.

I don't really like the YZX1000R as it is set up right now. I live in West TN and all of my SXS usage would either be riding trails in the area and some "farm" usage on some property I own and of course around the house. So a pure sport SXS isn't really something I am 100% interested in. Plus the it is getting out of the price range that I am comfortable with.

I also drove around a Polaris Ranger in the parking lot. I didn't like it at all. My brother used to have a Polaris 500 Sportsman (never any really issues) and a 2008 Rzr 800 that stayed in Abernathy's shop as much as it did in his garage. I don't like the way their 4WD works. I don't like the free-wheeling going downhill unless you keep in the gas. I am just not that much of a Polaris fan.

TL;DR

Nothing out there suits me right now, what do you think the possibility is that Yamaha will create a Sport/Utility (Recreational in Yamaha speak) that has a manual transmission with low gearing? Ideally a Wolverine with a Honda Pioneer 500 style transmission.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cvt is better for hill climbing, you're always in the right gear.
I agree, but it is less "fun". I took both my Rincon and my wife's Recon out on Sunday after I mowed the yard and drove them around behind the house and to look around the lake. I had WAY more fun on the Recon than I did the Rincon. I pretty much made a pass down the road with the Rincon and up/down the hill and put the Rincon back up and spent the rest of the time playing on the Recon.

I do realize, though, that the manual shifter would be more work. I have had to chase/roundup the neighbors horses 3 different times on my ATVs on very hilly terrain. Once with the Recon and 2X with the Rincon. It was MUCH easier to do on the Rincon. All I had to do was avoid getting kicked in the face, with the Recon I had to shift, hold a rope AND avoid getting kicked in the face.

But the rest of the time, it sure is fun to shift up and down.

I really haven't had a CVT before other than driving my brother's RZR quite a bit on the farm. I do know that I really don't want a RZR and that I need something with a bigger and more useful "bed" than the RZR does.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Like Tinken said, you'll always be in the right gear, and may rarely even use the brake.

My uncle has the pioneer 1000 w. the manual transmission. Even in auto, when at speed and you let off the pedal, the thing jerks you forward at every down shift. I was shocked. Thing sucks in my opinion.

I've used mine for more work than I anticipated, the only downside imo is the smaller bed. The upside is you can haul a 16-18ft trailer no problem. Had to use my 16ft trailer to take a bunch of crawfish traps out to our hole, and didn't really even notice it was back there as far as power was concerned.

Also, just for fun, my uncle and I put them side by side to drag race (I believe the P1000 hits 63), anyways on GO... he accidentally put it in reverse. Smoked his ass :cool: :cool::cool:

Wolverine climbs STEEP no problem. Don't know what grade I was on the other day, but it was prob 60+ degree climb straight up. Same day, cornered a few raccoons between the mississippi levee and the river. They were darting around like crazy. I'd just turn the wheel, hit the gas. Wolvie was doing 180's on the spot, and was on the ****'s ass before it knew what was going on. He couldn't get away. Finally stopped as I pulled up to it... we just stared at each other, before he took off into the water. That was the most fun I've had on this thing yet.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well you said you sold both quads... you had an auto for the wife for a reason. I have had a lot of fun in the passenger seat on ours. SXS is new to me but the wife driving and me helping with the GPS and taking in the woods has been fun for both of us. Had it been a manual it would likely be less fun for her and she would not be as eager to get out on the thing as she currently is.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well you said you sold both quads... you had an auto for the wife for a reason. I have had a lot of fun in the passenger seat on ours. SXS is new to me but the wife driving and me helping with the GPS and taking in the woods has been fun for both of us. Had it been a manual it would likely be less fun for her and she would not be as eager to get out on the thing as she currently is.

Just food for thought.
Actually my wife's ATV is the Recon with the electric shift. She likes the shifting too. My Rincon is the Automatic 3 speed transmission. She hates driving it, she says it is too big and she likes the shifting.

The only thing she doesn't like about shifting the Recont is getting it to go into reverse. You have to do contortions to get into reverse on the Recon. Hold a button and a brake and shift all at the same time.

I haven't sold either one yet. I just put them up for sale at work this morning. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have buddies that have an 2015 RZR 1000 and another that has 2013 ranger 800. My smokes there asses on every outing. Whether it is hill climbing. Mud , rocks or. And the best is fast narrow trails in the desert. The only thing the RZR can kill me at is in the massive sand dunes. With his HP. But my suspension on the wolvei can keep up with the RzR all day. And most time out maneuver the RzR. And the other thing is that they always have threat gut feeling knowing it's a Polaris and you never know when is going to just leave you broke down in the middle of no where. They both now are thinking of just getting a wolvie. And the Yamaha CVT is best in the business. Do your home work. I did mine for three months. Before I decided. In my opinion. The only reason for a pure sport. Would be I spend most of my time in the sand dunes. But sand dunning is very expensive with the toll it takes on any machine. But then again shifting was not a main focus of mine. Top quality was and all day comfort.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Like Tinken said, you'll always be in the right gear, and may rarely even use the brake.

My uncle has the pioneer 1000 w. the manual transmission. Even in auto, when at speed and you let off the pedal, the thing jerks you forward at every down shift. I was shocked. Thing sucks in my opinion.

I've used mine for more work than I anticipated, the only downside imo is the smaller bed. The upside is you can haul a 16-18ft trailer no problem. Had to use my 16ft trailer to take a bunch of crawfish traps out to our hole, and didn't really even notice it was back there as far as power was concerned.

Also, just for fun, my uncle and I put them side by side to drag race (I believe the P1000 hits 63), anyways on GO... he accidentally put it in reverse. Smoked his ass :cool: :cool::cool:

Wolverine climbs STEEP no problem. Don't know what grade I was on the other day, but it was prob 60+ degree climb straight up. Same day, cornered a few raccoons between the mississippi levee and the river. They were darting around like crazy. I'd just turn the wheel, hit the gas. Wolvie was doing 180's on the spot, and was on the ****'s ass before it knew what was going on. He couldn't get away. Finally stopped as I pulled up to it... we just stared at each other, before he took off into the water. That was the most fun I've had on this thing yet.
the Honda 1000 sucks???.. that's strong words, I have drove it and Yamaha is not even in the same class as that honda, which its not in the same price range either;),

Polaris rangers are some great machines, we have owned 5 over the years with no problems, I think the rzrs have a few problems
they knock Polaris on here, but Polaris is the #1 selling sxs in the country, has been for the last several years.
I own the wolverine now , and love it also, its geared low, pulls like a billy goat, very agile on the trails, I would like to see one
with the 5 speed manual in it too to keep the motor from screaming so hard, I like to deer hunt so a 5speed would keep it idled down and quite
we have had a recon too and you are right they are just fun little machines to ride, and will go anywhere

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like there is no ideal machine for you. If I were you, get the honda p500. Its cheap and has the manual transmission you want. Once you own it for a few months, you can sell it if you end up not having fun on it, or keep it if you it end up enjoying it.

I personally dont think Yamaha will come out with a wolverine type SXS with a manual trans. But that is me 100% guessing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like there is no ideal machine for you. If I were you, get the honda p500. Its cheap and has the manual transmission you want. Once you own it for a few months, you can sell it if you end up not having fun on it, or keep it if you it end up enjoying it.

I personally dont think Yamaha will come out with a wolverine type SXS with a manual trans. But that is me 100% guessing.
I actually thought about doing that. Even after I drove it and didn't really like it. But when I priced what it would take to get it to the level of what you get from the factory on a Wolverine and it was actually slightly more expensive.

ie. Full skid plate, some type of a bed, hard top, and a front bumper to protect the radiator. I completely left out the winch (current Yamaha promotion) and extra storage (the Honda has no storage).

Combine that with the fact that I really don't like the suspension and the cab is very uncomfortable with me (Left leg and right leg aren't even possible to put in the same area), so I kind of scratched it off completely.

I was just kind of hoping that Yammi might step up with a Wolverine/YZX hybrid or even a Viking/YZX hybrid.

In doing more research, the Pioneer 1000 has some of the things that I would like but it is $3,500 +tax more for the EPS model with the paddle shifters and I would still have to add in at least a hard top and there are lots and lots of complaints about the seat heat. At my latitude seat heat is way more of a disadvantage than an advantage.

From a financial standpoint that is getting close to the point of my being able to buy the Wolverine and the P500 both.

Thanks for responding though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Crow Hunter i am doing the same exercice as you. I just sold my 2012 Rhino and i still have a 09 Grizzly that i am keeping...So far my first choice is the SE wolverine.. I have tried the honda P5 1000 and i was disapointed with the results. Seating to utlilty for me , did not like the effect of the transmission, suspension felt girly and it is more expensive.. i won't consider Canam or polaris since i agree about the negative aspects of the 2 marks.. The Teryx seem OK but heat cab and noise are very important to me. As for the wolverine it fit almost all my needs. i am concerned about the noise and the CVT whine but from what i am reading in this forum its looks OK.. i am also concerned about the power.. i am not a fan of high speed but i don't want to feel that at 40 mph to 50 mph the motor is feeling to be roaring out the bike. So far in this forum opinions are divergent so i have schedule i test drive to see for myself..i wil lbe done by the 8 june and i will wait until to see if yamaha will surpised me

·
Registered
157 Posts
The rumor is a sportier viking possibly but that is just based on a silhouette picture.. with that being said the 2016 Teryx has some upgrades from the prior years so that may be something to go get into as well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Exactly my experience as well! After years of taking her around on the back of motorcycles, I finally get sit in the passenger seat, play with the GPS, and take in the sights without watching the road. She says she's even ready to take it out by herself.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you decide to go with the Wolverine, I can assure you that you won't be disappointed at all. Great machine!

Reactions: atkbike

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Follow up with new question.

I took my wife and my brother around SXS shopping today. I went to the local dealer that I have been trying to make a deal with on a used Honda P1000 EPS. While I was there, I test drove it with my wife, along with a '16 Teryx LE. They actually have a very small test track out behind the dealer with some small little hills and such. It has some very small whoops and such to let you test the articulation.

It was cloudy, around 72 deg F with no wind and the air was pretty damp from the rain all night.

We drove the Teryx first. It did not have a front window or back window but it did have a top. It was not as loud as I was expecting it to be. I didn't like the seating in it as much as I did the Pioneer, even though they were bucket seats and softer. I drove it for around 10 minutes in High and Low range. I don't think we ever got above 10 MPH but I could tell if we did, it would have gotten much louder from how it was "winding up" as we drove. It was noticeably louder in Low versus High range. It did drive a little stiff and I felt like I was sitting up too high, but it wasn't too bad. I had been expecting it to be so loud my wife and I couldn't talk and to be hot. It wasn't. So my answer to the dealer when I got back was "Hmm, not bad, not bad at all."

Then, with a gleam in my eye I asked if I could try out the Pioneer P1000 EPS....

Well, I hate to say this but the P1000 did not live up to my expectations.

This unit has both the folding front windscreen and the hard back and top on it. My wife and I got in it and cranked it up. Immediately there was an extremely loud piercing whine. My wife looked at me and said, "I really don't like that". Then I proceeded to back it out and drive down the parking lot to the test track. It got worse once we started in motion, to the point of being distracting. I said it is just the gears, maybe it will have a better sound in low range so I stopped and swapped it down. It got worse, much worse. My wife told me to change it back or she was going to get out. So we proceeded to put it through the course. I was extremely surprised at how truly bad the ride was over the articulation compared to the Teryx.:confused: I went back over it several times and my wife asked "Why are you going back over that, it is really rough, much worse than the other one". I told her that I thought it was my imagination because it wasn't supposed to be like this. Then she said, "Can we go back? This isn't fun." and I told her that I wanted to try the manual shifter first. So I stopped it and put it into manual mode and drove it around some of the smaller hills but stayed away from the articulation humps per my wife's request. It was kind of neat to upshift but I never got to downshift because it did that for me. I would push it up into second while I was going up the little hill and as I let off the accelerator going down the back side of the hill, it dropped down to 1st gear. I assume because I let off the gas and the RPMs dropped. It wasn't as much fun as I had hoped. :(

My wife asked "How much longer are you going to fool with this?" I told her I would head back. As we went around the corner towards the dealership my wife said "Feel how hot this is!" and there was a surprisingly large flow of very warm air coming up from between the seats. She said "That might be nice in the winter but not now". I am sure it was because of the hard back panel and the front wind screen but it was quite noticeable even though we were only going about 10 MPH and we had been driving for less than 10 minutes. Unfortunately , the Pioneer did not get the Mrs. Crow Hunter seal of approval...

Needless to say. Today was kind of a disappointing day.

On a good note relating to the P1000, this unit had about 50 miles on it and I did not notice any hint of clutch slipping. The shifting was very firm almost to the point of being annoying with a noticeable clanking shift. I really liked the seats though and the ride height was just about perfect. The Teryx is taller than I like and the Wolverine is lower than I like. I also wound up liking the gas pedal and brake position while driving though I didn't while sitting on the lot.

Afterwards, we drove up to Abernathy's so my wife could try out a Wolverine. We finally got to try it out and unfortunately it started sprinkling rain while we were driving it. So my wife pressed the eject button and went back inside. Because you can only really drive it around the parking lot there, we really didn't get to test it out compared to the Teryx. My wife said that she would rather try them both out. She is not 100% sure which one she likes better but she didn't see anything glaringly wrong with the Wolverine (like she did the Honda).

She does keep coming back to the fact that the Teryx has more onboard storage than the Wolverine. She really wants us to take the dogs with us to ride along the beach on the MS river some times and she wants to have room to have both of them in the bed and still take along water and potentially food and all my other stuff. Tow strap and air pump and folding shovel and tire plugs and a folding saw and she is not sure that we would have room for all of that. She doesn't think that we could get the cargo carrier and still carry the dogs, and I believe that she is right. I do think that we could work around that though with some type of a cargo bag system or something like the Moose bag I have on my Rincon that I put all that in now. But she has stated that she doesn't know if that is worth $2,500 between the Wolverine and the Teryx.

I actually found that I liked the doors on the Teryx better than the Wolverine and while I couldn't really tell a difference between the noise level on the Wolverine and the Teryx (both were equally loud), I did notice the Wolverine was louder "higher" almost behind my head while the Teryx noise was much "lower", more to the side and down. I also found the Teryx's vibration to be less noticeable than the Wolverine. The Wolverine felt noticeably "thumpy" while the Teryx had a constant hum very similar to my John Deere lawn mower which is also a Kawi twin cylinder, IIRC. There are some things that I really like about the Teryx. Mostly the extra storage capacity, the fact that it has been out longer, comes with a 3 year warranty and I drive by the dealer on my way to and from work every day. I don't like the price difference though and I don't like that it doesn't have full skids and I don't think that their CVT is as nice as the Yamaha and on paper the suspension is much better on the Wolverine but I was impressed with the Teryx Fox Podium 2.0 at the test track. The humps weren't really that tall though. Just railroad ties with gravel piled over and around them.

So, has anyone here had a Teryx LE and if so, why did you switch to a Wolverine?

I am probably going to try and hit them one more time.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
My son-in-law,daughter have a 2014 Teryx4. They have had no problems with it is a capable machine, we liked the painted finish, the solidness of the doors, 800 V twin, better lighting, true 6 ply BH 2.0s and the look.
But...... my wife said her priority was something that had a nice ride, and I wanted good flex in the suspension for better rock crawling and I liked the upswept skid plate, the frame flares, Yamahas CVTs reputation, and the roominess, so.... went with the Wolverine and are very happy with it. The son-in- law recently drove ours and then started spring shopping for his, said the ride is night and day different, and that the Teryx is more "jarring", he also said that even though he has a bigger motor, he felt that in slow trail riding the Teryx has nothing on the Wolverine in the low end torque department. His is better since he unhooked the sway bar, but still not as nice as the Wolverine. You're right though, the Teryx has superior storage. I can say that if I needed a 4 seater, there would be a T4 in the garage right now.

Reactions: Crow Hunter

·
Registered
388 Posts
i was in the same boat as you shopping for a s x s. I test drive a teryx also. Good machine just felt too big. I felt like there was no perfect machine for me but not many things are perfect. Anyways I went and got a wolverine and have been pleased with it for what I do. When looked at as a whole it does many things well. As far as inside storage it scores well imo. I would like to see Yamaha make like a hybrid between the Viking and Wolverine with the same cvt and most importantly a twin cylinder while most of us probably don't need a twin it would be cool imo. One with good storage and ride like the wolvie. But, with Polaris and Can am not being an option for you and with what's available right now for buyers I don't think you could go wrong with a wolverine or a teryx they are both quality machines imo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My biggest thing is the ride quality. I sometimes have sciatica and I know that a rough ride can sometimes set it off. When I get too carried away on my wife's Recon (virtually no suspension, just a straight axle and a spring) this can happen. So ride comfort is most important. I wish I could try out a Wolverine on the same course as I did the Teryx. Reading specs and reviews I was extremely surprised by what I found on the Pioneer and the Teryx. I was expecting the Teryx to be the one that rode like a tractor but it was the Pioneer instead. Even though, on paper and in reviews the Pioneer was supposed to be better.

I was also kind of turned off by the thumper. Which is odd because that is the only thing that I am used to with my Rincon and Recon. I found the Teryx to be more pleasant but I bet it will be quite a bit louder. It wasn't the power, I didn't have anywhere to actually test that. It was the vibration. Pulsing versus humming. But I think that I could get over that if the suspension is noticeably different.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.