Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ok

I've heard great things about belt sleeves with weights…. Then I've heard about exhaust tips and a power commander.

I'm confused on all this…… Does it really work? Do you recommend doing both for your machine? JBS vs Hunterworks who makes better parts?

Will doing this accessory possibly ruin your machine?

How hard is this to do and should you just pay someone to do it?

GIVE ME INFO on WHAT you recommend doing…. All the specific details, pics or anything you want to give…. THANKs for helping me make a decision…..

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
I like the Hunterworks combo (I've owned both on my rhino) and it is the least expensive. You get 16% lower gearing and greaseless system which is much easier to clean. I literally hose mine out to clean it. The powercommander is a piggy back fuel controller which brings your lean stock mapping up to a 12.9 afr and improves throttle response, especially off idle. Hunterworks per-programs the powercommander with maps and settings of my own design and raises the rev limiter for additional speed. It's pretty simple to install, I suggest you watch HW's videos first and Todd is always a phone call away.

http://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/25-hunterworks/599-new-best-machined-sheave-released.html

·
Vendor
771 Posts
ok ok

I've heard great things about belt sleeves with weights…. Then I've heard about exhaust tips and a power commander.

I'm confused on all this…… Does it really work? Do you recommend doing both for your machine? JBS vs Hunterworks who makes better parts?

GIVE ME INFO on WHAT you recommend doing…. All the specific details, pics or anything you want to give…. THANKs for helping me make a decision…..
What specific question do you have?

To answer it simply, yes they work both items. Work very well I might add!!! LOL

Todd

·
Vendor
771 Posts
ok ok

I will answer the questions you have asked

yes it really works

Who's is better? Mine of course!!! LOL Watch our explanation video on our site. But this particular subject is a highly debated so I will leave it there

No chance of it ruining anything, got over 4000 of these out there. Only sheave ever had a issue at all is on a Viking, never any on wolverines or rhinos

Anyone can do it, no special tools required, install videos on our site. I can do one in under a hour

And just hit the link tinken posted for all the info you can stand, tech articles and videos

No need for both unless you want it. The main selling point to the power commander is cooler exhaust temps and helps some peoples stalling issues plus a tad more top speed

Wet clutch slug kit not mentioned but it is a no brainer

Todd

·
Vendor
771 Posts
I would definitely speak with James at JBS before making your decision. You owe it to yourself. Hunterworks would not be my choice for a number of reasons, but I will not go into detail. Not gonna go down that path. As far as pricing again call James. You will see why once you speak with him. He does extensive trail testing on his products.
Would you mind telling us all why you would not go with us? Specific reasons, like what is wrong with ours in your opinion. I know you have never owned one of ours and you certainly have not had the present Wolverine sheaves.

Just trying to figure out why ours would not be your choice and you said you have several reason.

No one who actually has one says anything negative at all, all reviews on here have been positive.

Not being ugly, just would like to hear why without anyone getting personal, just details of why

Thanks,
Todd

·
Vendor
771 Posts
If I would answer that question it would be deleted. I will say there are differences in the sheaves and both probably an improvement over the stock. One thing very important to me is the person I am buying the product from. A smart consumer would speak with you and James both and make their own decisions. A smart man once told me to never ask a question that you might not like the answer to.
I agree about talking to both.

Your answer would not get deleted, when you get personal or stir the pot that is what gets deleted by admin

You just said you would not buy one from us and I asked why. If it is you don't like me personally just say so, but again you have not bought a sheave from me so you would not know that.

I can't please everyone, your personality and JBS might be a fit and ours may not but that has nothing to do with the product.

Debate is good

So when a guy on a forum asks about the sheaves, he probably does not care about the person just yet, he wants to know about the product that is all.

This guy might think I am the best thing since sliced bread who knows but if you try and shoot him down on our stuff because your and my personality do not mix or our history on these forums then you are simply taking food out of my sons mouth by turning him off of us based on personality conflict.

Now if you think it is one is actually better than other, debate that leave the personal stuff out.

Todd

·
Banned
420 Posts
Who bashed. And you are correct I did not answer. It would be deleted. Todd even knows that.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Would you mind telling us all why you would not go with us? Specific reasons, like what is wrong with ours in your opinion. I know you have never owned one of ours and you certainly have not had the present Wolverine sheaves.

Just trying to figure out why ours would not be your choice and you said you have several reason.

No one who actually has one says anything negative at all, all reviews on here have been positive.

Not being ugly, just would like to hear why without anyone getting personal, just details of why

Thanks,
Todd
Would somebody please highlight where I bashed or disrespected someone . I simply suggested he might want to speak with James then make his own decision. Appeantly that might have offended someone.

·
Banned
420 Posts
But you didn't answer shit.He's asking.If your gonna bash a product you could at least answer him.
I HAVE bashed Todd ( not so much his product ) in the past. It got me banned. Not taking the bait.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Well BDD, you did state you had some reasons you picked JBS over HW kit. I'm interested in what is the best bang for the buck in any kit. Would be helpful to everyone to have your opinion on which kit is better and why you think so. It isn't bashing to state some facts.

My main reason for picking the HW kit was the grease less setup. I do a lot of water riding and one little slip in the wrong hole could swamp the cvt pretty easy. Or if it gets a leak somehow.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Can't tell you how good Todd's is or isn't. Never owned one. Just know they are different ( roller/weight styles, grease/ greaseless ). My choice was JBS and everybody will make thier choice for thier reasons. It's ok to have options. By speaking to both the buyer will be able to decide which one will work best for them. Not gonna bash Todd or his products. Been there done that.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Here's my thoughts on the sheave debate. It's a sheave you can only do so much to one and that's it. Now both have differences in how they they go about doing that. I don't think you will ever see an honest side by side comparison between the two, but I think if you did the performance differences would be very minor.

How each go about accomplishing their sheave is different HW and JBS both use different weights. HW's sheave is greaseless, JBS's still uses grease in it's weights. JBS still uses the plastic washers for the spring in the secondary, where HW uses the metal slippery washers. I personally feel the metal slippery washers are a better design, I can't see how the plastic ones don't bind up and how they could ever slip as good as the metal ones. I think the JBS setup is about $100 more than the HW one, but lets be honest on a $14,000 machine are you going to skimp on a $100 on a performance part because of that? So to me that's basically a wash.

Obviously both of these guys are very knowledgeable and make a good product, as they have been around for a long time and sell a lot of product.

I don't know either one of them personally, just what I've seen of them online and through youtube video's. On here Todd does a really good job of answering everyone's questions as best as he can. From what I gather James isn't allowed on here because HW is a supporting vendor, so he can't really offer his input on here.

In all honesty one of my major deciding factors in choosing the HW setup for me was the input Todd gives on here and I didn't really care how James went about representing his product from the little bit I've seen online. On a recent FB post in one of the wolverine groups someone asked for some input on sheaves and they basically responded saying that HW's sheave was junk and they make the best, no explanation of why or anything. To me good marketing is not attacking your competition. Once again I don't know them at JBS, maybe they aren't like this in person its just the impression I got from them.

So my advice talk to both of them and make your own decision.

And one more thing do yourself a favor if you do a sheave kit just spend the $25 and buy a new cam plate. Take the stock sheave off, throw it in a box and put the new cam plate in the new sheave. I can't figure out why they wouldn't just offer a new cam plate with their sheave kit?

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
Another one of the physical differences between round and OD weights is that overdrive weights are taller, 2mm to be exact. That means that in the starting position, the camplate will be 2mm closer with round rolls. 2mm is the same as 2mm of shims and that is pretty significant in the low end take off. OD weights allow you to maximize your top end without the need to cut the outer sheave, but since Hunterworks does it included in the price, the sheaves can reach the same top speed. So you get better bottom end with the HW sheave and the same fast top end.

Also, the Hunterworks sheave is not just greaseless, it has an extreme pressure coating that is worked into the metal. This eliminates the slip-stick you would normally have with the DrPulley polymer weight set.

You can always drop OD weights into your Hunterworks sheave, Hunterworks invented them. But you cannot drop round into the JBS sheave as you will loose your top end.

The Hunterworks sheave is the better sheave and its cheaper.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's kinda like comparing a ford and a Chevy truck. Both guys have good sheaves that do about the same thing. I would call each guy up and buy from the one you like dealing with the best.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Like I said.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought my sheave, spring, wet clutch slug from JBS because that is who I have dealt with in the past and know what to expect from their products and support. With that being said I think that if the dealer isn't able to adjust my fuel to fix my stalling issues then I will be buying a PC5 from Hunterworks because he has a good price on it and has a map already for just this issue. My dealer was able to fix my buddies Kodiak 700 stalling issue and it runs a ton better now so I am hoping for the same.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Here's my thoughts
I don't know either one of them personally, just what I've seen of them online and through youtube video's. On here Todd does a really good job of answering everyone's questions as best as he can. From what I gather James isn't allowed on here because HW is a supporting vendor, so he can't really offer his input on here.
Thank you for your honest opinion. I do want to clear one thing up.

JBS is banned from all forums owned by this company from his actions several years ago, Three of us were warned, two of us complied one did not.

If you look on one of his videos, on the table he works on, it says F*** Doug Siddens, he is the guy at the forum company who banned him from all of them.

So anyone who sells anything sheaves or not can be a vendor here. If I don't follow their rules, I get banned too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts