1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thats the exact set-up i all most got. Winch and mount. You should be good to go. I have a 3000lb Warn with synthetic cable that i have used for 4 years on a grizzly and then put it on my wifes ranger when i sold the grizz. Worked it hard too. Pulled a lot of logs out for firewood with it. My son put a viper max on a rzr with good luck too so to try something different i ordered one too and a KFI mount plate. I hope i wont be sorry.

·
November WOTM Winner!
878 Posts
I had the 3500 with steel cable til I broke the cable (my fault). Now I switched over to synthetic and it seems a lot better

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the exact set up as you ordered but I bought the wireless remote kit as well. I was impatient and didn't wait for the bigger mount that you can get now. All my friends said I should have gone with a bigger winch. I don't regret it one bit. It has pulled me out of some serious crud. I don't really bury mine chest deep in mud though. I usually ride some muddy trails with the occasional hole someone tore up pretty bad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I believe KFI has a mount at about $50 and there winches are cheaper. I've never owned one but friends swear by them. Like I said I was impatient or I probably would have tried them out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The dealer threw in one when I bought my Wolverine. Not sure of the winch plate part number, but I assume it's the same one. Winch is identical except no synthetic rope. No issues with Warn. Never had. Used them on a few quads over the years. Durable and reliable. 20150626_163024.jpg 20150626_163030.jpg 20150626_162844.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
If your going big go big. Here is a 5000lb viper max wide spool for $278.99. Wide spools have 65' of line too.
Viper Max 5000lb UTV Widespool Winch with 65' of Steel Cable | eBay
These will fit wolverines on the KFI $50 mounts. 2 holes to drill is all. The holes to drill are not in the mount but the bumper flat base under the mount. Any winch loses 42% of pulling power if you dont pull off several feet of line. Your still pulling almost 3000lb right up to the bumper with this one. A 3500lb winch is only pulling 2030 lbs at the bumper.
http://cdn.shptrn.com/media/mfg/437...ostPeopleDontKnowAboutWinching.pdf?1289591024

·
Registered
347 Posts
My friend has had 2 vipers on his machines, both broke. 4500 lb broke in half, the 5000 lb one he has now seems geared to high, not sure what happened to it yet but it quit working on him a few weekends ago, thats two to many times its left him stranded. He's going to probably get a Warn after he figures the Viper 5000 out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have always liked warn the best and still use a 3000 lb warn on a ranger. Its done more work than you could imagine. However i have some friends that haven't been so lucky with Warns and have replaced them with vipers and no problems so far. Vipers , KFi, Superwinch, tractor supply and all the rest except Warn and Ramsey use permanent magnet motors. Warn/ramsey use series wound motors that dont heat up as fast on long pulls but pull lots more amps. The normal problem that most have with a permanent magnet motor winch like viper is not waiting on them. Owners manual says cool 1 minute between every 30 second pull. Every overheat adds to premature failure. Not saying that they messed up their own but a lot have destroyed good winches that wouldn't wait on them or pull all the line out before winching. Even with that said you can go to viper and superwinch forums and see lots of warns replaced with them that have failed too.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the replies. Went with the pro vantage 3500-S. I couldn't figure out if the winch comes with all the wiring but I will find out when it gets here.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. Went with the pro vantage 3500-S. I couldn't figure out if the winch comes with all the wiring but I will find out when it gets here.
My Warn 3000 came with all the wiring. Actually came with 2 different lengths of the power supply cables that worked great for me. I used the short set on a grizzly for 4 years then luckily found the long set i had saved in the box and used them to put the winch on a ranger that needed more length to get back to the battery.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just arrived in the mail yesterday. Looks like it has all the wiring I need.

Too bad the plate won't be here until next week.

I'll post pics when I get it on.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it installed. Super simple. The solenoid mounting tabs fit perfectly under the battery mounting straps so no need to worry about mounting it.

Yes. She is super clean. Haven't hit it hard... Yet...
IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG
IMG_1112.JPG

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts