Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

Took apart the CVT and have a question.

There was grease all over the part where the CVT grabs the belt. The rest of the parts were caked with mud. It appears that the mud getting packed in the system may have forced grease out.

The parts were 100% packed with mud and I have scraped most of it out.

What do I need to do to make it right? I was thinking I just clean the dirt out and put it back together but what about the grease that appears to be in there for a reason?

See the attached pic. It should give a clear picture of what I am dealing with :):):) Belt seems good though.

THANKS!!!!

IMG_0179.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Do you own a pressure washer? If not, the local car wash might do LOL. But really, blast out the crap with high pressure water, then use a solvent to degrease all the aluminum, being careful not to damage the seals. If you want to go back to stock, reassemble everything with about a teaspoon of grease on each roller when you place them in the track. You should be using grease made for the job, which is sold by Yamaha, about 30$ a tub. Some people have used belray marine grease, and had good results, but I have never tried it. If you do not have the service manual downloaded, you should, it will give you all the details you need to do the job. The other option of course is to go greaseless, but that only solves the primary, you still need to clean your secondary and regrease it. That procedure is also in the service manual. If i were you, and selling it, I would do whatever was cheapest and still a valid fix; so probably back to stock.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you own a pressure washer? If not, the local car wash might do LOL. But really, blast out the crap with high pressure water, then use a solvent to degrease all the aluminum, being careful not to damage the seals. If you want to go back to stock, reassemble everything with about a teaspoon of grease on each roller when you place them in the track. You should be using grease made for the job, which is sold by Yamaha, about 30$ a tub. Some people have used belray marine grease, and had good results, but I have never tried it. If you do not have the service manual downloaded, you should, it will give you all the details you need to do the job. The other option of course is to go greaseless, but that only solves the primary, you still need to clean your secondary and regrease it. That procedure is also in the service manual. If i were you, and selling it, I would do whatever was cheapest and still a valid fix; so probably back to stock.
Yeah. Thanks for the help everyone. I got everything apart, cleaned it up with some hot water, simple green, then some gun scrubber spray. Going to get some Yamaha ultramatic grease and get it back to stock. The secondary looks pretty good so I am going to leave that alone.

This seems like a really terrible design. No wonder why people are going greaseless. The mud and soot combines with the grease and turns into an abrasive pudding like substance.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checking back in. Got everything apart, super clean. Regreased the weights with Yamaha Ultramatic grease and got it back together. I researched on how it comes apart and goes together and the point of everything.

I must be missing something though... When I am in neutral and I rev it a little bit, you literally can hear the weights banging around in there.

What gives?

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Checking back in. Got everything apart, super clean. Regreased the weights with Yamaha Ultramatic grease and got it back together. I researched on how it comes apart and goes together and the point of everything.

I must be missing something though... When I am in neutral and I rev it a little bit, you literally can hear the weights banging around in there.

What gives?
Wow. That doesn't sound good. How long do you think you ran it with the mud in it before you took it apart to clean? I can't believe you wore down the rollers to the point they are flopping around in there making noise...maybe something else is making noise?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. That doesn't sound good. How long do you think you ran it with the mud in it before you took it apart to clean? I can't believe you wore down the rollers to the point they are flopping around in there making noise...maybe something else is making noise?
It drove fine but the noise was a little concerning. I pulled it back apart and added more grease to the sides of the sheave and where the cam plate slides. It's back to normal. I know some people run without grease but I can't trade it in and pull it off the trailer with it going clack clack clack.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I feel better about the next owner having it cleaned and back to OEM specs.

·
Banned
4 Posts
It shouldnt get mud in there! Unless CVT cover is broke or it was buried in a 3ft mud hole! I guess if your doing extreme mudding it could eventually get slung into the CVT tubes somehow...

·
Administrator
2,188 Posts
It happens if you just get water in the cvt cover. Many of us use the Hunterworks greaseless cvt kit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts