Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I have a 2008 Rhino 450 that has gone everywhere, done everything (work and play) since the day we bought without a single issue...ever. Crazy reliable, so far beyond my Polaris ATV it is not even funny. We have put after market EPS on it, fender flares, SE piggyback shocks and original Bighorn tires. It really is a great machine.

It looks to me like the wolverine is the next gen of the Rhino, with improvements in every area. Next weekend we are headed to the black hills to rent one for a day and see how it compares. Unfortunately, the rental units are base models without EPS or piggybacks, but I figure there is still a lot of value to driving one around for a day before I drop $12k on one.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the 2 will compare and if we will be happy should we trade in the rhino for a R spec EPS version? Is the reliability there or do we need to wait another year or two?

Our principal use now is recreation and since SD closed all their 50 inch trails a few years back and MN opened all theirs up to full size wide UTVs a person really needs a 60 inch wide machine to continue enjoying the off road sport in this part of the country. (I was all ready to buy a Grizzly 700 this week when I suddenly realized, "if I buy it, where would I ride it?")

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wolvarine ride is an all out Cadillac. Compared to the rhino. I like the wolvie even better than the razor 1000. Plus you still have the Yamaha quality. And peace of mind. Mine has been flaw less since I bought it new in January. And now has 250 miles on it. And it's very torquie. Can damn near climb any thing. It is really no comparison to the rhino. And I had a 08 700 rhino for 4 years.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I know you said you upgraded to piggybacks on your rhino so there may be a little difference, but my dad has an 09 700 all stock and there's no comparison. Last year he had to replace all 4 wheel bearings and I helped him get it back together once they were all pressed in. Once we got done, we went on a ride and about 200 yards down the trail I looked at him and said that my Wolvie had me spoiled. That short of time and I already realized how much harsher the ride in the rhino was.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a Wolverine and my husband is still riding an 07 660 Rhino with the piggyback shocks. We put the EPS on it last year too. His fan quit running on the Rhino last weekend so we had to leave it at the trailer and both took turns driving the Wolvie. He says the ride is much smoother and less tippy feeling than the Rhino because of the wider stance. The only drawback with it being wider is it is harder to squeeze through some smaller areas. Neither has a great turning radius.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
The Wolverine has major improvements in all area's over the old Rhino's. Power, suspension, comfort. Have over 200 hours on the Wolverine and it's still perfect. No rattles or suspension squeaks unlike my buddies RZR. We bought them the same week and his is a rattle trap with 1/2 the miles/time on it. I've greased the Zerks 3 times since I got it last year and never bothered to remove the other suspension joints to grease them. The bushings/bearings/seals are just top notch.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called the rental place today and was extremely surprised to learn their units ARE the R spec models with EPS. I immediately booked a full day in one for my dad and I. We will be in the Rhino for 2 days and the Wolverine for 1 in all in the same location, so should be a GREAT test.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
You will love the Wolverine. Not to get too far off topic, but where in Black Hills are you riding / staying. We have been thinking about going there, but was not sure if all the snow had melted and everything would be open. I know they get the Shenook (how ever you spell it) winds and probably melt out way ahead of Wyoming.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well we are here! To answer BJniceguy we are staying at
Spring Creek Inn -- Black Hills South Dakota
Great rates, clean well maintained facilities, friendly staff just a couple miles from downtown hill city.

Went for a quick 2 hour ride tonight just to get in the zone. Tommorrow will be all day in the Rhino and all day in the Wolverine the next day. Rhino has original BH 25 inch tires with highlifter tire sealant in each, sport resi shocks just back from service and rebuild, machine is fresh from lube, oil, filter at dealer last week with a new parking brake. The rental wolverine units will all be stock R spec, so should be a great test.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spent the day in the Wolverine....short version, even though the rental had 5000 miles on it and lots of abuse, it exceeded our pristine Rhino 450 in every way. I will have a detailed write up after I get home. How good is it? We called the rental people from the trail and reserved it for tomorrow as well. I will not be pulling my Rhino out here again (800 miles round trip) I will just rent theirs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My comments are based on Rhino vs Wolverine, not to compare against any other SxS product as I have no experience with those items.

The rental unit was a 2015 with 5000 miles of heavy rental use....still it impressed vs our 2008 rhino 450 with 1700 easy miles, extended wheel flares, piggyback shocks, after market EPS.

Bullets:

1. Shifter is much more fluid and easy to use...which means you use low when you should because it is easy to do so.
2. Door latches, so much easier to use and intuitive. 5000 miles and they still worked like new on the first try every time.
3. Door hinges...spring loaded metal rather than rubber straps that constantly break.
4. Power is plenty for trail riding, steep climbs and getting up to speed quickly on the highway going from trail to trail.
5. Seats far more comfortable and ergonomic.
6. Longer wheelbase "beats you up" less...better ride over the long haul.
7. More room and places to put your feet, especially as a passenger.
8. Suspension more plush, works very well on high speed and low speed bumps.
9. Storage is excellent...cab is much easier to "live in" for all day rides.
10. Seat belts lock and release easier.
11. Glove box is even bigger.
12. Far easier to see over the hood and avoid obstacles.
13. Parking brake level is SO much better and easier to use.
14. More tie downs in back...very helpful.
15. Center console storage and arm rest...excellent change.
16. Not as loud.
17. Smooth easy acceleration...you are at 30 mph without realizing it.
18. Torque forever in low gear.
19. MUCH better selector of 4x4 means you use it more often.
20. New grab handle rocks.
21. At the end of the first day I did not realize I did not have power steering until the owner told me.
(That said, at the end of day 2 I determined I would never buy one without EPS...lots of hard technical trails give you a work out.)
22. So much more shoulder and hip room.

It is like they sat down and went through every criticism of the Rhino they had ever heard and fixed it. I can't believe how well put together this abused and used machine was...and this was the FIRST YEAR of production for the model I was driving! WOW. There is simply nothing in the UTV/ATV world built like a Yamaha.

If I was in the market for a recreational SxS I would drop 10k on this in a heartbeat. For work the Rhino has the larger bed and dump box...so we are going to keep it for working around the acreage which is 90% of its use. However, I have decided I will never haul it back out here for trail riding again...just going to rent the wolverine. The experience is that much better and the cost of the gas to pull it out and back is over 50% of the rental cost. It is a no brainier.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
tkuss...a grizzly? Not understanding.
In your first post you say you were set on a Yamaha grizzly but then realized there is no place to ride them and needed a 60" wide UTV to take advantage of all the trails. I was under the impression a ATV can ride any trail a UTV can. Glad to hear your having a great time on the wolverine. Im new to the UTV scene, recently bought a Wolverine. Have only put 10 miles on it so far and cant wait to get out again! They sure seem to be great machines!

·
Premium Member
52 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We are back here in the hills for 3 days of riding. Have a rental Rspec with the resi shocks and EPS. Over 5000 miles on it, Crap tires...STILL 20 seconds in this machine and it blows away the rhino for ride quality, comfort, room, quietness of motor, door latches, parking brake, shifter, 4x4 selector. Not kidding, this machine is amazing. What a huge step forward...oh and compared to our carb 450 rhino, this thing feels like a rocket!

All these impressions from driving it 1000 ft from the rental lot to our cabin. Can't wait to hit the trails tomorrow. WOW!

BTW...I hear another new Yamaha SxS will be released next month...what will they come up with next?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.