Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 X4
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and kids and I are looking to move somewhere warmer, and smaller, and more affordable, but still with a livable wage, we have an influx of californians that have moved to Idaho and driven the house prices through the roof here! I am a journeyman electrician and she is In medical billing, our average home price here is now around 300k for something small, we are looking at texas and Alabama pretty heavily, we definitely need a decent wage vs cost of living as that is our primary motive is to end up better off financially, and the warmer weather and southern culture is just a huge bonus to us! We are very Pro 2nd amendment so we want to to lean more towards being a red state, good hunting and fishing and riding is also a plus, im looking for input from some of our southern friends on a state I may have over looked or info on the states I've listed!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Come on down. I'm in Missouri. We are a divided State. Basically it's St Louis, Kansas City, and Columbia and then the rest is a free State. Some don't consider us Southern but they are wrong. I'm in the Booheel and its funny when I go to St. Louis people ask if I'm from Texas or something (orginally I'm from Oklahoma but we have similar accents). I prefer to go the Memphis if I need to go to a city for something. The further South I go to any City, the people just seem friendlier (one of the reasons I perfer to go to Memphis vs St Louis). Alabama or Texas would be great places to live but the money is probably more in Texas. However, being an electrician may be very profitable near the Alabama coast due to Hurricanes.

·
Registered
2021 X4
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Come on down. I'm in Missouri. We are a divided State. Basically it's St Louis, Kansas City, and Columbia and then the rest is a free State. Some don't consider us Southern but they are wrong. I'm in the Booheel and its funny when I go to St. Louis people ask if I'm from Texas or something (orginally I'm from Oklahoma but we have similar accents). I prefer to go the Memphis if I need to go to a city for something. The further South I go to any City, the people just seem friendlier (one of the reasons I perfer to go to Memphis vs St Louis). Alabama or Texas would be great places to live but the money is probably more in Texas. However, being an electrician may be very profitable near the Alabama coast due to Hurricanes.
Yes I was thinking the same thing about being near the coast, but so far just looking online i don't think the pay in Alabama is going to cut it, im going to make some calls, because Alabama really fit the ticket for us in all other categories, but texas may be the choice, im going to look into Missouri too, maybe Tennessee.

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
101 Posts
So...I live in Utah. However, I have to put in my .02 for Missouri as pointed out by Rebel above.

If you hunt, like I do, it is getting harder and harder to hunt here in my own state. It now takes 3 years to get enough points to do the general deer hunt. Our elk hunts on premium land are more like once in a lifetime...maybe twice if you start young.
My brother and I started hunting in Missouri with a friend who lives there about 6 years ago. You buy your annual licenses over the counter (or really, online, with your phone even), and you can hunt EVERY year and it's cheap (for residents). We did a lease last year and are doing it again this year. We look forward to hunting in Missouri a lot more than we look forward to hunting in our own state of Utah! Hunting in Missouri reminds me of what hunting in Utah used to be like 30 years ago!
As far as living there...my buddy loves it. I love it when I'm there. Buddy lives in a little town called Lee's Summit.

...Southern Utah is nice also (as far as warmth goes...still have to put up with Utah hunting rules...). My kids live in St. George. It's warm there most of the time even in the winter. They invite us down all the time to go on rides. My youngest daughter lives in a new subdivision right on the Utah side of the Arizona/Utah border. They basically drive out into the desert from their backyard with their Can Am!

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
2021 RMax4 XT-R
27 Posts
I am SW Missouri (between Springfield and Joplin) , I am 30 minutes to roaring river trout fishing, one hour to Tablerock Lake, Stockton Lake, Bull Shoals, and Beaver lake. I am also one hour from tons of trails in Arkansas, some in Missouri and have access to several thousand acres of private. Deer, turkey, duck hunting is all abundant, lot of counties have unlimited bow doe tags. Outside of city limits, I have my own berm for shooting pistols and 100 yard rifle range, all neighbors shoot too in a subdivision of quarter to half million up homes... no snobs here. Daughter in law is nurse, many opportunities and went to work right out of school. I also think electricians are in decent demand... look it up. Also you can be in Dallas in 2.5 hours, Tulsa in 2 hours, KC MO for Chiefs or Royals game in 2.5 hours.

·
Registered
2021 RMax4 XT-R
27 Posts
JeffB, you gotta come ride with me over at Cloud 9 in Caulfield sometime.
Read about that place couple times, members only so assume you can take a guest, looks cool, have to hit ya up sometime and try it out. We road Buffalo Ranch last year and broke the new RMax4 in on Mills Creek (that was more technical than expected), only did 20 miles on 3 hours taking it easy but still skinned up every wheel... wife said, well, that's why we bought it :) We both fell in love with our trip to Taylor Park Colorado last year, phenomenal place to see and ride. Arizona around lake havasu is on the list this year too.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Yep, we can take guests. I used to live in Cassville so I know about the lakes and streams. They are beautiful over there. I have a friend wanting me to ride Chadwick sometime but didn't know if UTVs were legal there.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I was born and raised in Nashville. Don't come here. Unless you want to live in a big busy expensive metropolis now. Started really going downhill when the Titans got here. That is the perspective of a semi-retired building industry professional wanting a little more piece and quiet, and not get a weekly offer to buy my house. We have more tower cranes than we used to have tall buildings, they call it progress! However, depending on where and how often you recreate, then the middle Tennesse area may suit your desires, not real winter cold anymore and it is plenty hot and steamy in the summer. Can be within 4- 5 hours drive of major Off-road parks in Tennessee, Missouri, Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky, Alabama and Georgia. A couple more hours gets you North Carolina and West Virginia. Not much riding in west TN unless it's mud. Hunting is unknown to me. If Off-road is a large factor then check out Rider Planet website as it lists most Off road areas and maybe gives you spots on the map. If I was moving I would be looking at somewhere in the Tennessee Valley. Not a whole lot of big city areas but it is where I would recreate. And a few growing towns. Check out Huntsville, AL. Or Bowling Green, KY.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Come on down to Tennessee, we'd be glad to have ye! :)

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I grew up in Louisiana & middle Tennessee and then lived 15 years in Northwest Georgia right on the Alabama Tennessee line. The humidity in these southern states is bad for about 2-3 months a year. It's not a dry heat: its a wet heat. I'm just 300 miles away now in North Carolina and its a huge difference. It gets hot here but the humidity is not as high and we always seem to have a steady breeze. Texas I've been to for work and its hot, but the humidity is lower.

I like our east coast riding of mud and hills and rocks and creek crossings and going all up and down hills through trees. I've worked in Nevada, California, Texas, Arizona... I like the way the East Coast terrain is.

·
Registered
2021 X4
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I grew up in Louisiana & middle Tennessee and then lived 15 years in Northwest Georgia right on the Alabama Tennessee line. The humidity in these southern states is bad for about 2-3 months a year. It's not a dry heat: its a wet heat. I'm just 300 miles away now in North Carolina and its a huge difference. It gets hot here but the humidity is not as high and we always seem to have a steady breeze. Texas I've been to for work and its hot, but the humidity is lower.

I like our east coast riding of mud and hills and rocks and creek crossings and going all up and down hills through trees. I've worked in Nevada, California, Texas, Arizona... I like the way the East Coast terrain is.
That east coast terrain is what i seem to love, every time I see a movie I point at it and tell my wife "see thats where I want to live" I just did that last night and the movie was filmed in Kentucky, I just like the lush hilly terrain with creeks, I want to live in about a population of 20 to 30k people, small enough to have privacy and be relaxing, but big enough to have jobs and a walmart lol.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It would be hard for me to trade anything for the types of riding we have around here!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Well you might want to say "Super Walmart" instead of Walmart as we have the smaller Walmarts in very small towns here. I think they will put a Dollar General anywhere there's 200 houses, its crazy. I do enjoy having a Dollar General every 5 miles. Have fun with your planning, life is what you make it. I applaud you for looking. I have moved hundreds of miles to improve my quality of life three times, and I have found where I will live until I die.

·
Registered
2021 X4
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well you might want to say "Super Walmart" instead of Walmart as we have the smaller Walmarts in very small towns here. I think they will put a Dollar General anywhere there's 200 houses, its crazy. I do enjoy having a Dollar General every 5 miles. Have fun with your planning, life is what you make it. I applaud you for looking. I have moved hundreds of miles to improve my quality of life three times, and I have found where I will live until I die.
Thats what I'm after, I don't want to waste time settling on well enough when my dream location could be out there, its just finding that perfect place that fits exactly what I'm looking for! I don't know if that place exists though...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Central NC puts you 3-4 hours from some NC or SC beaches and 3hrs from WV riding in the men’s. It’s hard to beat!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I left NC for WV. I couldn’t be happier! If I want to go get burger, make a right out of my driveway with the Wolverine. If I want to go to Dairy Queen make a left with the Wolverine. Either way leads to miles of good riding. I can ride old county roads for miles, all types of terrain. Great riding from my door step.
The good, hunting, fishing and anything outdoors related. WV is a constitutional carry state.
It is not uncommon to see many ATVUTV out riding. You can register and legally ride into town.
The bad, our public education sucks, the roads are full of pot holes and opioid pandemic.
A Union Electrician job is not that hard to find and believe you would not have trouble finding good stable employment. I don’t know about the medical field.
I am also biased to WV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts