Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
RMAX-4 LE
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I serviced the clutches this weekend at 1200 miles and 100 hours. Yeah, I tend to crawl around at slower speeds, and need to find time to ride more...

Found a nickle size rust-like spot inside the primary collar and on the same point on the shaft at the fixed face. And found the secondary fixed sheave was mottled. Any ideas what could be the cause? There has been no moisture in the case on my part and I've had no issues while riding. I may have sniffed up belt rubber once or twice after stopping which I assumed was normal even for an ultramatic. All else looked relatively normal to me. The spring cup had some small anomolies in the rubber at the base where the spring seats in the lip. The belt measured 38mm. I cleaned the sheaves with brake cleaner, replaced the spring cup with a new one, installed slippery washers and Tinkseal. Also went with 24 gram rollers and UTVE sliders in the primary.

Sports equipment Ball Helmet Tints and shades Wood
Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive design Wheel

The Zetek cleaning swabs were perfect for cleaning the grease out and applying Tinseal: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DX7N2B0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1#

· Registered
1,877 Posts
Good tip on the cleaning swabs. I'm an X2 but fluent on the forum so I'll step in front of Budro2 and ask that when posting pictures, don't do thumbnails. We all hate them. Just do full size pics.

Click the Insert Image button.
Rectangle Font Brand Logo Number

You will get this:
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Paper

Point it to your picture...

It ends up not being a thumbnail.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting

Reactions: Budro2

· Registered
RMAX-4 LE
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good tip on the cleaning swabs. I'm an X2 but fluent on the forum so I'll step in front of Budro2 and ask that when posting pictures, don't do thumbnails. We all hate them. Just do full size pics.
Done. The swab in the pic looks larger that it is. They fit perfectly in the roller channels.

Reactions: Budro2

· Premium Member
2021 Rmax4 LE.
550 Posts
I serviced the clutches this weekend at 1200 miles and 100 hours. Yeah, I tend to crawl around at slower speeds, and need to find time to ride more...

Found a nickle size rust-like spot inside the primary collar and on the same point on the shaft at the fixed face. And found the secondary fixed sheave was mottled. Any ideas what could be the cause? There has been no moisture in the case on my part and I've had no issues while riding. I may have sniffed up belt rubber once or twice after stopping which I assumed was normal even for an ultramatic. All else looked relatively normal to me. The spring cup had some small anomolies in the rubber at the base where the spring seats in the lip. The belt measured 38mm. I cleaned the sheaves with brake cleaner, replaced the spring cup with a new one, installed slippery washers and Tinkseal. Also went with 24 gram rollers and UTVE sliders in the primary.

View attachment 108961 View attachment 108962 View attachment 108963
I had a similar thing with my sheave surface. I posted pics in a post from about a year ago. It seems like it's not too uncommon and I don't think it will hurt anything. Mine almost looked like corrosion but not sure what caused it.

The Zetek cleaning swabs were perfect for cleaning the grease out and applying Tinseal: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DX7N2B0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1#

· Registered
RMAX-4 LE
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, for those that have pulled sheaves for maintenance, is this a normal look for the sheave face? And rust on the bolts, and rust on the primary shaft and collar, when it's only crawled through a foot of stream water once or twice?
Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood Rim

In any case, the performance over 100 miles this past weekend was great! The drive train was noticibly quieter after the maintenance, and the engine noise was significantly quieter with 24g rollers and a .5mm shim w/o a performance hit for my style of riding. Managed several 2 foot stream crossings and 12 inches of snow up at Crown King out by Horse Thief Lake.

· Rock Crawler
3,953 Posts
I have seen pics posted in the past of faces with similar defects. My Gen 1 had a couple very small holes, likes pits. Something in the casting process I suppose. Never have heard of any problems as a result.

Condensation within the CVT housing is a reality, due to the heating and cooling process, especially if there is humidity in the external air, thus the rust. Occasionally reports have been made of slipping belts due to moisture, when the machine hasn’t been in water at all. This is only temporary and spinning the sheaves in neutral to dry the belt resolves the problem. I suppose when we park the machine and the hot air slowly vents out, cool moist air is drawn in the opposite end at the same time?! Anyways, yes it’s normal to see a little rust inside there.
Sounds like you had a fun ride, a properly serviced CVT is a good feeling. Well done! (y) (y)

· Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
4,190 Posts
To add to Budro's comments: Just about every sheave I've personally seen has that mottling. Humidity is a big deal and the Black Hills of South Dakota normally is fairly dry, but we had a very wet year back when I had my 2018 X4 and there was surface rust over everything, especially the rivets in the secondary. If I wash my sheaves (with TS, I normally use a rag sprayed with cleaner on the sheave faces) I may place them next to my wood stove so they're completely dry and no lingering moisture stuck between the rivets and holes.

When I service my secondary after it's been treated with TS, it's so clean that cleanup is really easy. By the 3rd service, there's really not much metal wear so it's even cleaner than the 2nd service.

· Registered
RMAX-4 LE
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All good, then. Wasn't going to lose any sleep over it, but moisture as a cause in Phoenix seemed odd, even if most of my riding is in the mountains. I suspect it arrived new as is. Pretty satisfied with how it runs and performs right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts