Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha's had a few high profile issues with the last couple models:
-10cent drain clip leading to hydro-locked and ruined engines
-Poor engine assembly quality-control leading to dropped valves and ruined engines
-RMax's developing driveline issues

Honda
-Transmission issues

Polaris
-&$%^#Page is too large to be displayed or memory limitation error&%&*(&

Kawasaki
-KRX had bushing issues that were quickly addressed
-Poor finish in the door panelling pinches underside of the arm(pretty minor)

Canam
-
Can't say I've heard much other than they don't seem too worried about refinement as you often hear of heat and engine noise complaints in all their models

Personally, I don't like to rake a company over the coals for trying to release new and better products then potentially running into issues, such as what appears to be the case with the RMax driveline. To me it's more important how the company treats the people with these issues, and how they resolve the issue going forward.
That being said, other things like the drain clip issue in the X4 is inexcusable and the poor decision making process that leads to those decisions need to be identified and snuffed out immediately by the company.

What about Honda, have they addressed their transmission issues in recent models, or is that still dragging on?

What are everyone's thoughts, please add in other big known issues and comparisons. Number of occurrences is obviously a big factor also.
We're more familiar with Yamaha's, so we could nitpick them a bit easier/more unfairly.

To my knowledge, Kawasaki's launch of the KRX seems to have gone pretty well compared to failed drivelines and transmissions, or do they have bigger issues that I'm missing.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
"What about Honda, have they addressed their transmission issues in recent models, or is that still dragging on? "

I've asked that as well but haven't got a clear answer. I want to like Honda but I don't know.

On Yamaha's driveline issue, We are still out on how many are affected. I thought one person had theirs at the dealer but don't remember if it was fixed yet and what the exact problem was.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Can am models and the KRX are doing good. We put 350 miles on our 2019 X2 and in laws pioneer 700 at HMT. No problems with them.

Reactions: Paul65 and Dan

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,002 Posts
Yamaha's had a few high profile issues with the last couple models:
-10cent drain clip leading to hydro-locked and ruined engines
-Poor engine assembly quality-control leading to dropped valves and ruined engines
-RMax's developing driveline issues

Honda
-Transmission issues

Polaris
-&$%^#Page is too large to be displayed or memory limitation error&%&*(&

Kawasaki
-KRX had bushing issues that were quickly addressed
-Poor finish in the door panelling pinches underside of the arm(pretty minor)

Canam
-
Can't say I've heard much other than they don't seem too worried about refinement as you often hear of heat and engine noise complaints in all their models

Personally, I don't like to rake a company over the coals for trying to release new and better products then potentially running into issues, such as what appears to be the case with the RMax driveline. To me it's more important how the company treats the people with these issues, and how they resolve the issue going forward.
That being said, other things like the drain clip issue in the X4 is inexcusable and the poor decision making process that leads to those decisions need to be identified and snuffed out immediately by the company.

What about Honda, have they addressed their transmission issues in recent models, or is that still dragging on?

What are everyone's thoughts, please add in other big known issues and comparisons. Number of occurrences is obviously a big factor also.
We're more familiar with Yamaha's, so we could nitpick them a bit easier/more unfairly.

To my knowledge, Kawasaki's launch of the KRX seems to have gone pretty well compared to failed drivelines and transmissions, or do they have bigger issues that I'm missing.
I suggest you frequent the other model's FB and forum pages more thoroughly. There are WAY more issues with the KRX than what you listed and you didn't even mention the #1 issue the KRX was famous for. We should have a qualifier for those issue as well. Are we going to consider 1 instance of a valid defect, 10, 20.......1%, 5%.......what? There's engineering folly, manufacturing defects, human error, etc. I put engineering folly at #1 in weight as far as to how bad a model is. Manufacturing defects #2, and human error last.

I'm really motivated to lock this up because it smells very trollish, but I'm gonna play for a little bit and see if you can come back with some more informed data.

·
Vendor
401 Posts
Honestly, they all have issues here and there. I know Polaris gets beat up more than the rest, but the failure % per units sold is about the same as any other manufacturer's % per unit sold. They just sell more machines, like 10 to 1 or more, compared to most other manufacturer's. Recalls are a good thing. It means the big guys are taking responsibility for issues. I just had a recall on my Westinghouse Generator, and I thanked the poor girl on the phone. She cried after I thanked her because she'd been yelled at for weeks from end customers complaining about the recall. I told her, "I work in an industry where recalls are common and good for the industry as a whole."

Another thing that is often forgotten is that these manufacturers aren't necessarily making all the parts for the machines. Most are sourced from different specialized manufacturers, and just assembled at the Popo, Yammy, Can-AM, Honda, Kawie facilities. The big guys get the blame, but I'm sure they are dropping the hammer on whoever is producing the bad bearings, bad clutch, bad trans gears, etc...

From my experience, reliability often depends on basic maintence. Or better yet, your right foot...and that bottle of whiskey in the cooler.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't agree more, if we want the manufacturers to develop and improve their products, we need to accept that recalls and engineering issues are part of the process. If you want to completely protect yourself from that, look at a more mature proven model to mitigate the risk of the unknown.

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
731 Posts
This thread does have a troll smell to it.

Started around the same time the OP made this comment in another thread...

""""I guess worth adding to this thread is the developing RMax driveline issues. All of a sudden the Honda transmission maybe isn't THAT bad lol. ""'

I'm all for discussing about problems if they have merit.
But going from thread to thread gets annoying and kinda freaks out possible new owners. There's nothing positive to come from it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suggest you frequent the other model's FB and forum pages more thoroughly. There are WAY more issues with the KRX than what you listed and you didn't even mention the #1 issue the KRX was famous for. We should have a qualifier for those issue as well. Are we going to consider 1 instance of a valid defect, 10, 20.......1%, 5%.......what? There's engineering folly, manufacturing defects, human error, etc. I put engineering folly at #1 in weight as far as to how bad a model is. Manufacturing defects #2, and human error last.

I'm really motivated to lock this up because it smells very trollish, but I'm gonna play for a little bit and see if you can come back with some more informed data.
IMO if you buy a machine and it has the potential to leave you stranded or cost you thousands because of a known manufacturing defect(such as people paying out of their own pocket to get their Talon's repaired), then it's a big issue... and absolutely, it needs to be more than a 1 off case, legit reported issues that we all know are happening, although it would be interesting to hear about it regardless?

I am completely aware my list is incomplete and ill informed, as stated I'm confident the list will grow and change, that was simply very low hanging fruit to start the thread, and by no means a decisive overview of the industry. It should not be interpreted that way.

To be honest I just thought it would be neat to assemble a thread of common failures and issues amongst different machines. You can delete this if you want, it will not offend or upset me. Or if you just thought I was trolling but see where I'm coming from now, please feel free to carry on and lambaste the KRX lol, it sounds like you have some very shareable/interesting data.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Reactions: SuperATV

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,002 Posts
IMO if you buy a machine and it has the potential to leave you stranded or cost you thousands because of a known manufacturing defect(such as people paying out of their own pocket to get their Talon's repaired), then it's a big issue... and absolutely, it needs to be more than a 1 off case, legit reported issues that we all know are happening, although it would be interesting to hear about it regardless?

I am completely aware my list is incomplete and ill informed, as stated I'm confident the list will grow and change, that was simply very low hanging fruit to start the thread, and by no means a decisive overview of the industry. It should not be interpreted that way.

To be honest I just thought it would be neat to assemble a thread of common failures and issues amongst different machines. You can delete this if you want, it will not offend or upset me. Or if you just thought I was trolling but see where I'm coming from now, please feel free to carry on and lambaste the KRX lol, it sounds like you have some very shareable/interesting data.
I'm going to leave researching the list of KRX issues to you. They're not hard to find. Come back with the list and we'll absolve you of your trolliness ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to leave researching the list of KRX issues to you. They're not hard to find. Come back with the list and we'll absolve you of your trolliness ;)
Lol, was it this one, looks like Jraoffroad was grinding his brand new machine
The steering knuckle is an issue. Poor design and will probably see a recall. Lucky it takes 10 minutes with a grinder to fix the issue before it becomes a problem. Sucks on a new machine,but my Wolverine met my grinder and welder within the first 6 months.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
This thread does have a troll smell to it.

Started around the same time the OP made this comment in another thread...

""""I guess worth adding to this thread is the developing RMax driveline issues. All of a sudden the Honda transmission maybe isn't THAT bad lol. ""'

I'm all for discussing about problems if they have merit.
But going from thread to thread gets annoying and kinda freaks out possible new owners. There's nothing positive to come from it.

Come on guys, I don't think a guy bought a Yamaha Wolverine, joined 5 months ago and posted 230+ so he could troll this site. Not everything on here about Yamaha can be positive. If it was would you even believe it was real experience?

There is plenty positive to come from getting these issues out in the open. Yamaha see's this stuff and know consumers are having issues, people ask their dealers who asked their reps and it gets back Yamaha. Probably more than one 850 engine was saved from people knowing about that clip and maybe a few were warrantied because it a publicly know issue. What can come from hiding the issue?

SATV is correct that if we could see numbers from all makes the failure rate would probably much closer than we all like to think. The issue is we dont see the numbers. It can make a very small issue percentage wise seem major. The KRX knuckle issue that Massive loves to bring up was the KRX's biggest issue. It affected less .5% of units I have been told, and Kawi is still upgrading them for if you ask.

EDIT, thought of 1 more.
KRX issue's.
Knuckle cracking at ball joint during suspension travel. Only effected early 2020's and pretty easy to avoid.
One way bearing. They got a bad batch early on.
Under torqued clutch spring cover bolts. Caught early, most corrected before leaving dealer.
Rear axles not seated correctly in diff. Most caught before leaving dealer.
Front drive shaft splines twisting off. If you upgrade the shaft, the front diff input fails. Seems to take some miles to fatigue the splines. 35's and tunes help speed the failure along. Good news is the input is a cheap and easy repair if you dont have a winch mounted in the stock location. It makes a nicer fuse than axle shafts.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,002 Posts
Come on guys, I don't think a guy bought a Yamaha Wolverine, joined 5 months ago and posted 230+ so he could troll this site. Not everything on here about Yamaha can be positive. If it was would you even believe it was real experience?

There is plenty positive to come from getting these issues out in the open. Yamaha see's this stuff and know consumers are having issues, people ask their dealers who asked their reps and it gets back Yamaha. Probably more than one 850 engine was saved from people knowing about that clip and maybe a few were warrantied because it a publicly know issue. What can come from hiding the issue?

SATV is correct that if we could see numbers from all makes the failure rate would probably much closer than we all like to think. The issue is we dont see the numbers. It can make a very small issue percentage wise seem major. The KRX knuckle issue that Massive loves to bring up was the KRX's biggest issue. It affected less .5% of units I have been told, and Kawi is still upgrading them for if you ask.

KRX issue's.
Knuckle cracking at ball joint during suspension travel. Only effected early 2020's and pretty easy to avoid.
Under torqued clutch spring cover bolts. Caught early, most corrected before leaving dealer.
You ruined it JRA! His homework was to find them himself! There are more issues though. Clutches are wearing out prematurely, fuel tank issue, drive shafts breaking at the yoke, door bushings, heat, noise.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You ruined it JRA! His homework was to find them himself! There are more issues though. Clutches are wearing out prematurely, fuel tank issue, drive shafts breaking at the yoke, door bushings, heat, noise.
I'm a slow typer. I was working on that way before your post. 😁

There is something more with the clutch weight wear. It's pretty rare and inconsistent. Kawi is replacing any with issues. There is no tank issue, shitty gauge, shitty vent, same as Yamaha. I did forget the driveshaft, edited OP. The door bushing is not a problem with bushings, but hinge tolerance. Someone made a shiny brass bushing and now everyone needs it. If you have that issue a washer will fix it or if you want to get real fancy a thicker bronze bushing for a buck at the hardware store. Don't forget there is thread on here bitching about Rmax door alignment also. Heat and noise are not an issue. I'm not real sure were you keep getting that one, I haven't seen it mentioned other than by people that put front and rear windows then wonder why it's hot. It is cooler and quieter than the YXZ(first gen), Gen 1 Wolverine and Can am X3. Those are the only machines I have enough summer ride time in to state that as fact.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Honestly i still feel slighted at the new redesigned 708 with 30% better gas mileage that ended up a bait and switch for a completely non yamaha engine Lol. If anyone had known this out of the gate theyd still be sitting at discount on the showroom floor.

this type of thing is what you expect from offbrands and bargain basement imports. Questionable engine, tanked our resell value and orphaned us for aftermarket.

Not at all what I would expect from an A list manufacturer, definitely they all have issues, but this 708 fiasco was downright dishonest and poor decisions on all fronts.

im shopping for a new rig for spring but really at a loss as to where to spend my money For reliable and long ownership

Frisky

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well here’s one for the Polaris 21 turbo models with the new clutch had a recall because the bore holes used for balancing the clutch assembly were miss drilled causing them to crack or explode. Just got mine replaced about 3 weeks ago. As for the fire issues I think a lot of those are probably from electrical accessories being installed wrong and in some cases extra fuel containers leaking

·
Registered
728 Posts
This post isn't as "on-topic" as it perhaps could be but something I ask you each to consider with a broader perspective on our sport. When the Rmax came out, there was A LOT of people saying it was too expensive and this topic has been hashed out in other threads. However, as we demand Yamaha/Kawasaki/Polaris/Can Am reliability, it doesn't come for free with the performance increases that they are trying to bring to the market.

I know we're all very enthusiastic participants in this sport and most on this forum are very passionate about Yamaha. The reality is that the Amerian consumer has demanded higher performance machines that cost more money to make. To make a higher performance machine, a lot of money has to be spent by the manufacturer and margins are thinner for the dealer. That cost is passed on as best it can be to the point where the cost drives people to something else (perhaps other brands). The reality is that the American public "says" they want to pay for quality but when the rubber meets the road (trail), we all b!tch about how expensive or how poorly designed something is and that it costs us more money. It's no different than the Amazon/Walmart "race to the bottom" pricing on basic necessities to live that drive out small business. Overall, I think @SuperATV is on point. Nothing technically advanced comes to market without issues. Staying in business is about making money and if we want quality products with the reliability we expect, then we need to evaluate by spending our $$$$$ where we think it counts.

I just had a conversation with a dealer today about trading my machine. I flat out told that I want him to stay in business and that I know he needs to make money. Followed by "What works for you? Here's what I want. Let's make a deal." The reality is we're all in some form of a partnership whether we want to admit it or not. We work together to make sure the headaches go away and that it costs money to play.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,002 Posts
I'm a slow typer. I was working on that way before your post. 😁

There is something more with the clutch weight wear. It's pretty rare and inconsistent. Kawi is replacing any with issues. There is no tank issue, shitty gauge, shitty vent, same as Yamaha. I did forget the driveshaft, edited OP. The door bushing is not a problem with bushings, but hinge tolerance. Someone made a shiny brass bushing and now everyone needs it. If you have that issue a washer will fix it or if you want to get real fancy a thicker bronze bushing for a buck at the hardware store. Don't forget there is thread on here bitching about Rmax door alignment also. Heat and noise are not an issue. I'm not real sure were you keep getting that one, I haven't seen it mentioned other than by people that put front and rear windows then wonder why it's hot. It is cooler and quieter than the YXZ(first gen), Gen 1 Wolverine and Can am X3. Those are the only machines I have enough summer ride time in to state that as fact.
Yamaha doesn't have venting issues on the X series and know how to design a gas tank without a hump, throwing off the gas gauge (those are two issues and the first has plagued Kawasaki since the Teryx). According to VForce John, the premature wear problem isn't random or rare but inevitable until it's fixed. That's why he's not offering clutching yet. How many bitched about the door alignment issue and how easily is that fixed? I have front windshield and rear screen and have ZERO heat problems. Majority of RMAX owners will tell you they don't have a heat problem. On my FB group I have former KRX owners who jumped to the RMAX and compared to the RMAX the KRX heat and noise are a problem.

Once again, I place engineering folly much higher on the SNAFU scale than manufacturing defects and human error on the assembly line. Most of Kawasaki's problems are engineering-related and most of Yamaha's problems are some idiot on the assembly line.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

EDIT, thought of 1 more.
KRX issue's.
Front drive shaft splines twisting off. If you upgrade the shaft, the front diff input fails. Seems to take some miles to fatigue the splines. 35's and tunes help speed the failure along. Good news is the input is a cheap and easy repair if you dont have a winch mounted in the stock location. It makes a nicer fuse than axle shafts.
Well here’s one for the Polaris 21 turbo models with the new clutch had a recall because the bore holes used for balancing the clutch assembly were miss drilled causing them to crack or explode. Just got mine replaced about 3 weeks ago. As for the fire issues I think a lot of those are probably from electrical accessories being installed wrong and in some cases extra fuel containers leaking
Thanks for the shares, this is the kind of stuff I was curious to see about. Just straight up what's out there and going on. Mostly in other brands to be honest, this is the "Vs the competition section", and we know our machines pretty well already.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts