Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry a lot of stuff and always looking for more storage. I see a lot of the PoPo guys using the Rigid stackable tool boxes for storage and kind of liked the idea so I bought these. I also picked up one of the Ozark Trail 26 quart coolers from Wally World for 35 bucks on closeout.

I have the OEM crossover storage box and couldn't find a way to make them work so I scrapped the idea. While at Lowes last week I found the Craftsman flavor of the stackable boxes that was a bit smaller than the Rigid. My preference was to have them located forward to get the cooler away from the muffler heat but couldn't make that work either. So this is what i came up with.

The purpose built pallet gets the cooler up off of the bed and provided the extra needed space to fit them side by side. It is attached at 3 bed mounting points, one in the front and 2 in the back. The whole thing slides thru the tail gate opening for easy removal when not on an extended ride although the cooler needs to be slid back to get to the front bolt. As you can see it is really tight but works for me. I use the lower box for tools and the taller box is for day use items like sandwiches and snacks, extra clothing, personal items or whatever. The Yamaha box contains all of the not so frequently used items, my recovery gear, rain suits, air compressor etc. with a lot of room to spare.

I fabbed up some hold-down brackets for the cooler to attach some turnbuckles to. There just wasn't enough room to get in any kind of strap. The lower box is bolted down to the pallet with some very large fender washers and the top box snaps in place to the lower one. It's close but you can still get to the bungees that hold the Yami box lid.

The Rigid box is a much higher quality and more robust than the Craftsman but it just wouldn't work for me. There's not much weight in the upper box and the lower box is secured against the pallet. Time will tell how well it holds up but it looks like it will be okay. I think the 2 pieces were about 60 bucks and I already had the lumber. A treated 2X4, one 8 foot 5/4 board and a handful of 2 inch deck screws is all that's needed. I used 3 6mm screws to attach to the bed but there's probably other ways to do it.

These coolers don't have a great reputation for holding ice so I might add some 1.5" foam insulation between the pallet and the the bed. It does have a good seal on the lid that will keep the dust off of the contents... for 35 bucks it was worth a shot. Now it's time to get out and test it.

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
awesome idea, looks like it will work just fine. I've been trying to figure out some kind of storage box also, might have to break down and buy the yamaha box, out last trip i just used some duffle bags with the contents inside plastic bags.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I love my Milwaukee Packout ! Now they offer a stand alone base that Ill be able to mount in the bed. as well as the Packout cooler.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, those are nice but more spendy than the Craftsman or Rigid so I didn't check the Packout's footprint. They do have a bunch of cool accessories that mate together the others don't offer.

Mike

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Nice ideas, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I like this idea, I was looking at those RIGID tool cases before (cause I like orange!!), but its a struggle with the X4, as the back seat limits the depth of the tool box at the height of the top of tail gate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
$35!!??!!??
I just paid $86 for the same cooler on the 27th.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Same deal around here except white were $40.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.