Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Wolverine RMAX4 LE
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted these is a another thread, but this may be better for progress tracking and hopefully help others question some of the same accessories. I know that I always look to forums for info, so I'll to provide some as well.

Here's the machine when she showed up on the dealership floor... (Hat's Off Motorsports, Bellevue, NE).

And loading it up...these pics suck because I wasn't about to climb snow banks for a better profile picture. ha-ha!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The windshield was the first thing to get thrown on. It's the OEM Yamaha glass windshield with the wiper/washer. It's fits different than others because it's designed to work with their hard cab. I think Yamaha missed an opportunity here and they should have made it work with the soft top as well. But...had to have an electric wiper and the washer was a sweet bonus. I had the SuperATV flip-up on my Honda and as much as I like the airflow, I was not impressed with the build quality at all. Not to say it's not great for some folks, but I simply didn't care for the plexiglass, or how it bowed, the lower 8 inches that was always dirty, and the means or raising and lowering it. I know some folks love them...I just wasn't one of them. After dealing with the plexiglass in rain and mud, I really wanted to have glass.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I opted to add the rear speakers...Not sure if it'll be worth it or not. After driving it around the sub, I feel you still have to crank it loud to really hear it. We'll see...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For additional lighting, I went with two light bars. On my Pioneer I had a lot of PODs...probably too many. I had 4 Rigid Ind driving lights, and two floods for the front and 45º out lighting. They were all mounted high...hood and above. If it was clear out, and no one was in front of me, I could see a fly on a bears ass 1/2 mile away. The problem was...there was often someone in front of me and my lights blinded them through the mirrors. Or, it was raining/snowing/dusty and the bright white light reflected off of everything and actually made it harder to see when they were on.

I dug into what the racing folks do, and they all said that they mounted their spots/floods up high for long range/high speed and amber spots down low to cut through the dust/rain/snow. There's some science behind it...something about electromagnetic radiation waves, and the longer/shallower light waves don't reflect as much. Something like that..I figured it worked for racers, so it should work in this application.

I went with a Rigid Ind 20" E-Series Pro light bar up top that is a flood/spot combo. Mostly because I liked how the Yamaha factory light bar looked up there. I just wasn't going to give them what they wanted for the limited output that light had. I found this one on clearance and it was $100 less, and offers much more light. For the low-mounted light, I ordered a Rigid Ind 6" E-Series Pro light bar in amber.....what I got was a white LED spot. Ugh...I found that out after I had snipped the harness to start wiring it through the relay. So, just ordered a amber lens cover for it. I hope that it has the same effect as an amber LED. I'm not exactly sure of the difference there, performance wise.

I wrapped up the wiring with some Blue/Red backlit switches from OTRATTW. And since the bumper light covered my visibility for the winch drum, I altered the center cover to allow me to monitor it a little better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, previous to the RMAX, we had a smaller toy hauler and the Pioneer 1000-5. I wasn't really a big fan of either. The toy hauler required more maintenance and upkeep than I cared for...and really too much for how little we got to use it. The Pioneer....simply wasn't the right machine. So, both got sold with our recent move to Nebraska. The RMAX and this trailer were their replacements. I had it out the other day just to play around with balancing the trailer, and ensuring that I still had room to throw the dirt bike on the front, and my camping gear and generators behind the machine. I ordered up some wheel bonnets, so I've got to mount the tie downs on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw these things in a X4 and fell in love. When I found out that our "off road child seat" wouldn't fit properly in the RMAX, I totally jumped on the opportunity to "convince" the wife that this would be better because it has a lower mounted harness for our little one, and then room for two nieces/nephews.

·
Registered
724 Posts
That's great looking machine and set-up! I'm eager to hear your thoughts on the stereo sound. Your light set up looks great. Hope you're happy with it. Just called the dealer and committed to the Rmax 4 LE today. Can't wait to start the break-in.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Great thread, I'll be following along! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: michdave

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I opted to add the rear speakers...Not sure if it'll be worth it or not. After driving it around the sub, I feel you still have to crank it loud to really hear it. We'll see...
View attachment 91159
So cool to see the rear speakers installed. Did you get to listen to the radio at all before installing them? As to tell the difference. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Your RMAX is lookin' good man!

·
Registered
157 Posts
MichDave, check out the front seat from utvma. i have that also along with the back seat. Not sure how old your kids are but my 2 1/2 now three year old loves it in the front middle seat. i also feel much safer with her right next to me from getting hit with any branches stick. They also have a bump seat for $70 that helps put the young kids are the right seat height for the seatbelt. works great for my 6 year old girl. PS, nice ride!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's great looking machine and set-up! I'm eager to hear your thoughts on the stereo sound. Your light set up looks great. Hope you're happy with it. Just called the dealer and committed to the Rmax 4 LE today. Can't wait to start the break-in.
Great thread, I'll be following along! Thanks for sharing!
So cool to see the rear speakers installed. Did you get to listen to the radio at all before installing them? As to tell the difference. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Your RMAX is lookin' good man!

Thanks everyone.

The front speakers weren't horrible, but it was very obvious the sound was coming from a speaker behind your leg...if that makes sense. Adding the rear speakers really just evened it out. I really have to play around with the equalizer a bit because the speakers don't seem to produce much lower sound waves.

I had an Infinity Kappa 4100 amplified sound bar in the Pioneer (same one as the JBL UB4100 Stadium sounder. That thing was incredibly clear with awesome sound. Again...not so much lows...just incredibly clear. The problem was if you mounted in the very rear of the machine, you were blasting it so loud to hear it up front that the rear passengers were felt like they were front stage at the concert. I mounted it in the center, facing forward, and although we could hear it great up front, rear passengers could barely hear it. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough room (because it's pretty darn big) mount it in the center firing down.

I think the sound bar sound quality was better, but I won't know until I really play around with the equalizers. What is better is now there's sound in the front and rear. What's bad...this machine is sort of loud compared to the Pioneer. Mostly because (I think) the CVT requires more RPMs so the engine is always revved a bit higher in this thing. I've only ridden it around our sub and frankly, I felt I had to turn the volume up too loud to hear the music clearly. I didn't want to piss any of the neighbors so I didn't keep it cranked up very long. I'll try and play around with it a bit more later on this week.

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MichDave, check out the front seat from utvma. i have that also along with the back seat. Not sure how old your kids are but my 2 1/2 now three year old loves it in the front middle seat. i also feel much safer with her right next to me from getting hit with any branches stick. They also have a bump seat for $70 that helps put the young kids are the right seat height for the seatbelt. works great for my 6 year old girl. PS, nice ride!
My daughter is tall for a 2 yr old! I didn't get a chance to strap her in the seat yesterday to test her fit so I'll try today. Having her in the center was what I was hoping for, and a big motivator for the bench seat. The wife is still wanting to strap the child seat in there but I'd really like to forgo doing that. I'll try strapping her in today and see how she fits.

Reactions: Mad Dog_037

·
Registered
249 Posts
What kept the car seat from fitting in the original seats in the back? We have an extra small 3 year old needs a car seat to ride properly. I haven't had a chance to swing by a dealership and test fit an extra seat yet. Not to mention i didn't want to possibly scratch a rig that i wasn't intending on purchasing

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What kept the car seat from fitting in the original seats in the back? We have an extra small 3 year old needs a car seat to ride properly. I haven't had a chance to swing by a dealership and test fit an extra seat yet. Not to mention i didn't want to possibly scratch a rig that i wasn't intending on purchasing
The car seat we had for it had cup holders on either side of the child’s legs. It made the seat too wide the fit in the factory seat without it sitting on a bad angle. That, and the seats are dished out more than an actual automobile seat, so it didn’t sit in the seat in a way that I’d be confident that it would slide, regardless of how tight I made the straps.

I’m sure I could have bought a different car seat that would have fit better...but it was “spend $200 on an additional car seat -vs- put $200 towards a cool accessory”. Haha.

I figured she’d grow out of the car seat in the next year. But with the bench seat, I’ll always be able to fit 3 kids in back.

At least that’s how I’m justifying it to myself! Haha.

I’d take your seat in there and test fit it. Tell them that your child riding safe and comfortable is a deciding factory. Let them set it in there if that makes them more comfortable. I think that’s a pretty reasonable request if you’re on the fence about ready to spend that much money on a machine

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here is my 2 1/2 year old in front middle seat from utvma and six year old in back on the booster seat from utvma with the rear bench seat from utvma. Maybe this helps. She was more secure in the front seat than being in the car seat mounted to back seat. The booster seat in the back got the harness to the correct height for her.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
978 Posts
That"s awesome, what little cutie pies!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dude!! That looks awesome. I do like that..a lot. I’ll throw her in the rear today.
Just measured her and she’s about 37-38 inches tall. She’s in the 99.5% percentile for her age. 😳. Ha-ha.

The best part of the Pioneer was having her in the front between us. Especially when she fell asleep and mom and hold her head. Haha.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts