Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Maxxis 2.0 or not

18K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  Rockit401 
#1 ·
I just picked up my new Wolver, while it was being gone over with the salesman I got to looking at the Viking siting about a foot to the left of it in a row I noticed that it had the exact same tires on it same height I mean identical except one little thing. they were 25's and mine was 26's so what is up the same tire with different labeling but the same tire? I asked the sales man about it and he hung his head. They say these tires are optimizes for Yamaha I guess manipulating tire markings is how they do this, not to mention the fronts are 2 ply as marked on the carcass and the rears are 4 ply . I really thought I was buying a machine with the same Maxxis 2.0 that are 6 ply. kind of bummed about this type of less than up front marketing.

#3 ·
Fortunately because of this forum I learned about the 2 ply fronts and 4 ply rears before purchasing mine. Was disappointed in Yamaha for cheesing out on the tires, but... I've never bought any vehicle or OHV based on the tires it had. Have been carrying a spare expecting to use it, but 4 days in Moab on aired down tires and a few trips rock crawling in Colorado Mountains havent hurt mine yet.

#4 · (Edited)
Their being 2/4 ply doesn't really bother me as much as their selling a 25" inch tire that is obviously labeled to deceive. I have ran factory 2ply rubber with out issue on a couple of machines, though I do plan to replace them with something a little more robust . Seeing how we are on the subject I am considering some type of radial in a tire that is in the 26-27 range and of the all terrain /slick trail type. Just thought I would see what you folks are running / recommend.
Noload, what part of Co was you in recently, I was in CO elk hunting recently near Pagosa Springs and Ouray and I was really wishing I had a SXS to hit the trails instead of the 4 legged mule I was hunting from.

#5 ·
I replaced them with maxis bighorn after first ride but I'm going to try Sidona ripsaws. The machine should of had better tires on it.

Reactions: noload
#16 ·
I've never owned a Popo personally, but my aunts experience soured me on them. She bought a brand new sportsman 500 right around the same time I bought my new 07 Rancher. She did a lot of trail riding, but it was easy cruising around not the mud hole blasting hauling ass I did. I guarantee I put my Honda through more the first month I owned it than she ever did that Polaris the whole time she owned it. Other than routine maintenance, all I did to mine was change one front wheel bearing in 8 years. She had hers for maybe 5 years and the 4 wheel drive went out twice and she had to replace at least 2 stators because they kept dying. That right there made my mind up.

#20 ·
Just what are you fellas running for rubber that is getting your seal of approval and what is letting you down, size ,brand ,with or with out a lift, terrain you ride. I do not need to be dis-mounting and selling tires if I can help it. Im looking for all terrain that will tolerate some black top and not just give up the goose on a wet trail.

#21 ·
I've run original 6ply Bighorns on everything I've owned since 2007 and had great results. Ran 25s on my old Honda and have 26s on the Wolvie. As far as terrain I ride, my area has a little bit of everything. Hills, rocks, creek bottoms, mud, hard pack, and even some road riding. The Bighorns ride smooth on hard surfaces, and get pretty good grip in the mud for an all purpose tire. The set I had on my Rancher still had over half the original tread depth after 8 years on there (not sure the mileage because the bike didn't have an odometer). Until they let me down, I'll keep buying them.

Reactions: Rockit401
#25 ·
Big horns 2.0s are not optimized for Yamaha. Not optimized for CanAm. They are a throw away tire to cut costs. They ride nice for demo purposes but have no business being on any off road machine.

I had a commander then a maverick and they both came with the 2.0s. I was so frustrated with the tires that I contacted Maxxis. The support rep said that they don't recommend the bighorn 2.0s on any machine over 500cc.

If my next machine comes with the 2.0s, I am going to negotiate new tires at the time of purchase.

Here is a direct quote from 2012 when I emailed Maxxis

"Thank you for contacting Maxxis International.

The Bighorn 2.0 is a "lighter" version of the original Bighorn, saving 1-3 pounds depending on the size. The weight is saved through the narrower tread bars on the tire. The Bighorn 2.0 is recommended for use on machines 500cc and below."

#26 · (Edited)
Maybe so in 2012, but the 'real' bighorn 2's have the pressure ratings on the sidewall for sxs's, both the ATV ratings up to 7 pounds and the NHS ratings up to 12 pounds or higher. Maybe they still don't recommend them but they are rated for it.

The bh 2's that come on the Commander that I looked at are not the same as the 'real' bh 2's. They are lower ply. Kinda like Yamaha's fake bh's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.