Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new Wolver, while it was being gone over with the salesman I got to looking at the Viking siting about a foot to the left of it in a row I noticed that it had the exact same tires on it same height I mean identical except one little thing. they were 25's and mine was 26's so what is up the same tire with different labeling but the same tire? I asked the sales man about it and he hung his head. They say these tires are optimizes for Yamaha I guess manipulating tire markings is how they do this, not to mention the fronts are 2 ply as marked on the carcass and the rears are 4 ply . I really thought I was buying a machine with the same Maxxis 2.0 that are 6 ply. kind of bummed about this type of less than up front marketing.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Fortunately because of this forum I learned about the 2 ply fronts and 4 ply rears before purchasing mine. Was disappointed in Yamaha for cheesing out on the tires, but... I've never bought any vehicle or OHV based on the tires it had. Have been carrying a spare expecting to use it, but 4 days in Moab on aired down tires and a few trips rock crawling in Colorado Mountains havent hurt mine yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Fortunately because of this forum I learned about the 2 ply fronts and 4 ply rears before purchasing mine. Was disappointed in Yamaha for cheesing out on the tires, but... I've never bought any vehicle or OHV based on the tires it had. Have been carrying a spare expecting to use it, but 4 days in Moab on aired down tires and a few trips rock crawling in Colorado Mountains havent hurt mine yet.
Their being 2/4 ply doesn't really bother me as much as their selling a 25" inch tire that is obviously labeled to deceive. I have ran factory 2ply rubber with out issue on a couple of machines, though I do plan to replace them with something a little more robust . Seeing how we are on the subject I am considering some type of radial in a tire that is in the 26-27 range and of the all terrain /slick trail type. Just thought I would see what you folks are running / recommend.
Noload, what part of Co was you in recently, I was in CO elk hunting recently near Pagosa Springs and Ouray and I was really wishing I had a SXS to hit the trails instead of the 4 legged mule I was hunting from.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I replaced them with maxis bighorn after first ride but I'm going to try Sidona ripsaws. The machine should of had better tires on it.

Reactions: noload

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Their being 2/4 ply doesn't really bother me as much as their selling a 25" inch tire that is obviously labeled to deceive. I have ran factory 2ply rubber with out issue on a couple of machines, though I do plan to replace them with something a little more robust . Seeing how we are on the subject I am considering some type of radial in a tire that is in the 26-27 range and of the all terrain /slick trail type. Just thought I would see what you folks are running / recommend.
Noload, what part of Co was you in recently, I was in CO elk hunting recently near Pagosa Springs and Ouray and I was really wishing I had a SXS to hit the trails instead of the 4 legged mule I was hunting from.

Before the snows came we rode some of the trails above Central City and The Empire Loop/ Bill Moore trails then Utah 3 weeks ago. I had the stock tires on mine and "Overload" had upgraded to the Ripsaws before we went, didnt notice any traction difference on the slickrock he had an advantage on a muddy side hill though.
My tires measured 26" WITHOUT the weight of the machine on them.
How'd you do on the elk?

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
1st Wolverine; Sodona Ripsaws
2nd Wolverine OEM tires

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before the snows came we rode some of the trails above Central City and The Empire Loop/ Bill Moore trails then Utah 3 weeks ago. I had the stock tires on mine and "Overload" had upgraded to the Ripsaws before we went, didnt notice any traction difference on the slickrock he had an advantage on a muddy side hill though.
My tires measured 26" WITHOUT the weight of the machine on them.
How'd you do on the elk?
I did not Kill , saw some legal bulls about 600yds with no way to steady my shot I passed ,other than that I saw about 20 cows and spikes.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Thats about how we did in the black powder season.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you get a tire that will outlast your machine huh!
I here ya , I am a big fan of the original Big Horn Radial and if I rode in more rocky terrain it would be my first choice . I may go ahead and get a set any way, The pluses to the Big horn are hard to ignore. It is that when it gets wet in Louisiana a tire must clean out with out having to spin the hell out of them, I'm not in to swapping wheels and tires for every ride so I will find a compromise.

·
Super Moderator
504 Posts
So you get a tire that will outlast your machine huh!
HaHa. I have been riding Po's for 20 years and for our large group the Yamaha's haven't proven to be an advantage in that area. In fact most of the group have switched to the less desirable (according to you) Polaris vehicles. I go more by personal experience than I do by what Yamaha forum members have to say about how much better their vehicles are than the competition. If it ain't broke why fix it, and our Polaris's ain't broke.

·
Super Moderator
504 Posts
I still have my eye on a Wolverine though, but that video didn't help any. Those things sound like a lawn mower. Are they that obnoxious with the stock muffler or do those two have fart cans on them?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HaHa. I have been riding Po's for 20 years and for our large group the Yamaha's haven't proven to be an advantage in that area. In fact most of the group have switched to the less desirable (according to you) Polaris vehicles. I go more by personal experience than I do by what Yamaha forum members have to say about how much better their vehicles are than the competition. If it ain't broke why fix it, and our Polaris's ain't broke.
I have owned 4 Polaris atv's over the year, some have been good others not so much 1st one a 1998 (bought new)400 sportsman 2 stroke it was great for 3 months then it caught fire and a total loss. 2nd one was 2007 500 sportsman was a reliable machine though I kept it out of the mud it only went to the shop once with a fuel injector issue in the 1k mikes I owned it . The 3rd was a 2012 RZR800 it was trouble free excluding me rolling it , it was sold for something more utilitarian which was the 4th a 2014 Polaris a midsize 570 it was less than stellar , throttle position sensor twice and after the second axle I had enough , . so I bought a 2015 Honda foreman and after 6 weeks it was stolen at my house . The insurance payed it off so after mulling it over I tried a new Can-am 500 outlander L that the rear diff went out the first day I negotiated my money back on a Wolv I have just purchase. , my point in this rambling they all have their fair share of problems. I like the performance of the Polaris machines but I have had my share of hell from them. I have had four Yamaha machines though they are not s fast as the Polaris machines the reliablility has been great with only minor issues .

·
Super Moderator
504 Posts
I have owned 4 Polaris atv's over the year, some have been good others not so much 1st one a 1998 (bought new)400 sportsman 2 stroke it was great for 3 months then it caught fire and a total loss. 2nd one was 2007 500 sportsman was a reliable machine though I kept it out of the mud it only went to the shop once with a fuel injector issue in the 1k mikes I owned it . The 3rd was a 2012 RZR800 it was trouble free excluding me rolling it , it was sold for something more utilitarian which was the 4th a 2014 Polaris a midsize 570 it was less than stellar , throttle position sensor twice and after the second axle I had enough , . so I bought a 2015 Honda foreman and after 6 weeks it was stolen at my house . The insurance payed it off so after mulling it over I tried a new Can-am 500 outlander L that the rear diff went out the first day I negotiated my money back on a Wolv I have just purchase. , my point in this rambling they all have their fair share of problems. I like the performance of the Polaris machines but I have had my share of hell from them. I have had four Yamaha machines though they are not s fast as the Polaris machines the reliablility has been great with only minor issues .
Personal experience means a lot. If my experience with Po had been different I would have jumped ship a long time ago. Might anyway.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've never owned a Popo personally, but my aunts experience soured me on them. She bought a brand new sportsman 500 right around the same time I bought my new 07 Rancher. She did a lot of trail riding, but it was easy cruising around not the mud hole blasting hauling ass I did. I guarantee I put my Honda through more the first month I owned it than she ever did that Polaris the whole time she owned it. Other than routine maintenance, all I did to mine was change one front wheel bearing in 8 years. She had hers for maybe 5 years and the 4 wheel drive went out twice and she had to replace at least 2 stators because they kept dying. That right there made my mind up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just like to give you a hard time since your on a Yamaha forum telling us how bad Yamaha is and how great Polaris is!

·
Super Moderator
504 Posts
I just like to give you a hard time since your on a Yamaha forum telling us how bad Yamaha is and how great Polaris is!
I try to be unbiased and truthful. The O E bighorns on Po's that I have checked are the real thing. I don't know how to sugarcoat that. That is not the case with some of the Yamaha's and Can Am's, and I don't know for sure about Honda..

I looked at that video 10 times and I guess those Wolverines don't sound the worst I have heard but a little more deep sound with less volume would make them sound better. Does it void the warranty if you change the muffler to an after market?

If Yamaha had put a twin and tilt wheel and turf mode in the Wolverine I would have bought one months ago. That is still keeping me from making the move. But they have the price down there really good at Abernathy's at $1000 off plus a free $1000 in Yamaha accessories. But first thing I would do is take those crappy cheap tires off and put some real ones on. I have real 2.0's on on beadlocks my little Po and they work really good and ride great and have been leak free, but they do wear pretty quick.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I try to be unbiased and truthful. The O E bighorns on Po's that I have checked are the real thing. I don't know how to sugarcoat that. That is not the case with some of the Yamaha's and Can Am's, and I don't know for sure about Honda..

I looked at that video 10 times and I guess those Wolverines don't sound the worst I have heard but a little more deep sound with less volume would make them sound better. Does it void the warranty if you change the muffler to an after market?

If Yamaha had put a twin and tilt wheel and turf mode in the Wolverine I would have bought one months ago. That is still keeping me from making the move. But they have the price down there really good at Abernathy's at $1000 off plus a free $1000 in Yamaha accessories. But first thing I would do is take those crappy cheap tires off and put some real ones on. I have real 2.0's on on beadlocks my little Po and they work really good and ride great and have been leak free, but they do wear pretty quick.
The stock sound is less than...pleasant, shall we say. But it sounds pretty good with my HMF full exhaust on it. As for warranty, let me put it this way, the sales manager that I purchased from asked me if I found an aftermarket exhaust yet, and if not he could recommend one. This was while I was signing papers...This is how I came to have my machine at HMF for 3 weeks lol. I am not worried about warranty. From my experience, most offroad machines the guys will cut you some slack, and just try to feel you out to see if you truly abused it and were responsible for the damage. In other words, he is not going to deny a warranty that the engine blew up if a reputable aftermarket exhaust and controller were put on. BUT, your experience may differ, it all depends on the dealer.

As for the tires...I feel like this has been beaten to death by now. My opinion may differ here, but I could honestly give a shit what tires come on it from the factory. I can't think of a single 4 wheeled machine that I have owned, all of my trucks and cars included, that has kept the stock tires on it more than a month. Factory tires are put on to save the company cost, to make the ride soft and pleasant, and to keep road noise to a minimum. They are also usually constructed lighter to save fuel and increase perceived performance. This is a general rule across the board, and obviously exceptions occur on highly specialized performance machines. For example, you are not going to see a Mustang Shelby GT-500 roll off the lot on some continental all seasons...more like some eagle F1's, or some Nitto NT-05's, etc. I have come to accept that stock tires serve one purpose to me...to load the machine on the trailer to get it home. But, this is just me, I suppose others opinions are different. I have learned my lesson, and will not run anything less than an 8ply on a SxS.

My 2Cents...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just what are you fellas running for rubber that is getting your seal of approval and what is letting you down, size ,brand ,with or with out a lift, terrain you ride. I do not need to be dis-mounting and selling tires if I can help it. Im looking for all terrain that will tolerate some black top and not just give up the goose on a wet trail.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts