Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have researched the heck about utv's and since I mostly hunt and fish the Wolverine seemed to be my best option. I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and found it very informative so I bought an r-spec. Now the bad news. Just loaded the rig on the trailer and looking forward to my first trail ride tomorrow with some atv buddies. Just for the hell of it, I decided to check the fluid levels on the machine even though it has 40 kms. on it. (yes I'm Canadian ) To my surprise the engine oil is a milky green. Not good. Any one out there with this issue ? No response from my dealer but it is Thursday before the long weekend. Thanks for listening

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a friend that has a Viking and he had white grease on dipstick , he was told that they put a grease in crankshaft during assembly and that was what he was seeing ! He changed oil twice and it cleared up! I realize this is not the same motor but throwing a thought out there!

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
They do also put some lube in the dip stick tube. But you said you saw green? Is the coolant level low? If its going into the crank you think it would be

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
There has been another with this same problem. Turned out to be the vent line from the water pump was pinched. This made the coolant flow back into the oil seal on the water pump. I would take it in for warranty before it can damage anything else.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feed back. I've cancelled my first ride, probably a good idea. The coolant level in the canister is about one inch above the low mark with the engine cold. Normal?. I do hope it is the dip tube grease and not the worst case scenario. The dealer has not replied to my e-mails or phone calls yet but it is a holiday today. They are open tomorrow so hopefully I'll know more then. I'll post the dealers response and the end result asap.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
My coolant level is sitting about 1" above also from the factory. Almost everyone has had their level drop after a ride or two, so some dropping is normal I'd say. Milky green oil is not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Received an e-mail from the dealer that reads. "It's condensation. The oil turns milky when the machine doesn't have time to get hot. it sometimes happens with units we park outside. We start them just to move them in and out and shut them off. Once the machine gets hot the oil will get back to its normal color. There will be no damage to the engine." I know its under warranty but it still worries me. Any one familiar with this explanation? The dealer will change the oil for me tomorrow. I think I'll take a sample first and find a place to have it tested. Yea, maybe I'm just paranoid.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
If it's coolant you should be able to smell it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, returned from the dealer this a.m. They changed all the fluids and apologised for not doing this service when I p/u the unit. Anyway they assured me that the cause of the discolored oil is from sitting at the dealership. Ok, just for laughs, I pulled the dip stick on 3 other Wolverines they have on display and go figure, all had green oil. So the service goes on record and hopefully no issues in the future. I did mention a previous post that referred to a vent tube from the water pump being pinched which he checked. He did say that these machines are a new to the Yamaha line up so any info. from the consumer is appreciated. I shall carry on and enjoy. Once again, thank you all for your support.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I drive mine to work everyday in the cold( 1 Mile each way ). My oil always has condensation on the dip stick. Gives me a excuse to get out of the house and take it for a cruise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally, my first ride

Took a friend up to Harrison Lake and hooked with another two guys for a days ride. One guy in an 800 rzr, the other in a can am commander and me and my young friend in the Wolverine. My young friend is the guy that laughed at me when I bought the Wolverine saying "you older guys like the side by sides." By days end a number of things came to light. First, the Wolverine was a blast. It handled the trails and hill climbs as advertised. The best part was winching the can am out of the snow. My favorite part was the ride home when my young friend called his wife and told her to sell the 700 grizzly, we're buying a Wolverine. Old guy my a**. The green crank case oil cleared up just like the dealer said it would. Really happy about that too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts