Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
what camera are you using for your rides? I want to video tape some of my rides, but the gopro i have fills up the memory card so stinking quick, and it doesn't have a battery i can swap out for a new. So if the weather is cold my battery dies in like an hour

·
Administrator
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
what camera are you using for your rides? I want to video tape some of my rides, but the gopro i have fills up the memory card so stinking quick, and it doesn't have a battery i can swap out for a new. So if the weather is cold my battery dies in like an hour
It's no longer sold. It was an HD Runcam, but they do sell newer models. I run either this or Mobius. You can't run the GoPros off USB power cable?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm reading up on these cameras.. i like the low profile of them, but i'm curious as to where the footage is stored? Do they have internal memory?

·
Administrator
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I'm reading up on these cameras.. i like the low profile of them, but i'm curious as to where the footage is stored? Do they have internal memory?
No internal memory. External SD card. They're not water proof like Go Pro.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No internal memory. External SD card. They're not water proof like Go Pro.
i was originally looking at the super small ones and couldn't find where they went, then i saw the normal sized camera and how they have SD cards lol. Those things are pretty cool. What do you run for power, since it only appears the batteries last like 3-4 hours max

·
Administrator
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
i was originally looking at the super small ones and couldn't find where they went, then i saw the normal sized camera and how they have SD cards lol. Those things are pretty cool. What do you run for power, since it only appears the batteries last like 3-4 hours max
I've always run my cameras off USB power from the 12V outlet with a USB adapter. Now with the RMAX LE it's pretty easy as there's a USB port in cab and then the stereo has a charging USB port that I used to power the cam I put in the wheel well. I may relocate to bumper for when I venture into rock crawling.

·
Administrator
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
No pool noodle? Do you think you'll get much dust in there without it?
I plan on buying a pool noodle for the bottom but have nothing on hand right now.

·
Administrator
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Massive's cheapie heater installed on the RMAX with much better results due to having a much better platform to work with. Here's my X4 version for reference: MassiveOverkill's cheapie heater setup

The RMAX is much easier to implement this as the framing and structure behind the radiator is much easier to box off. First thing (well first thing I tackled) is making side block off pieces from plastic. This was pretty easy to make from simple measurements of each side that I had to block off and the front holes are symmetrical.

I tore half my RMAX apart to both drill the heater duct holes from the back side as well as to run the wiring for my turn signals (that's another post). Turns out you really don't have to do it from the back side (I was hoping there would be a drill bit mark to center off of, but as it turns out, I didn't do half bad just eyeballing the pre-marked outline Yamaha graciously put there, which you can still see the outline from the front.

The inner circles are for the OEM Yamaha heater ducts. I'm using vents from Vintage Air, which are 2.5" OD.

I picked up some 2.5" OD PVC pipe and had some spare 2.5" flexible air duct hose left over from my X4 project. I'll trim to length later but as per my video, I may leave them extended for now.

It would be much prettier flush mounted but with it extended on each side, I can direct both to a single passenger if need be vs if it's flush mounted, the fascia blocks you from doing this. As a secondary thought, I may buy some additional air duct and make the louver removable so you can hook the extra section of duct on and then route the other end into your jacket. I know it sounds corny but why heat up the whole cab if you want to concentrate heat to your body core?

You'll need a piece of flexible air duct between 2 pieces of PVC for the driver side. Zip tying to the brake line and the Master Cylinder cover which is removed for this pic will help keep it from rubbing on the steering wheel shaft.

Passenger side makes a nice long straight shot and then you need some flexible duct at the end

Next I had to make center section which I used rubber matt for to block off the floor and back of the 'radiator box'. I cut out sections to go around the ducts. Larger cutout is for the passenger side as the radiator hose is beside the duct and moves it more inward.

Center block off piece in place. Seen from passenger side

·
Administrator
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
As seen from driver side

Steering knuckle is unimpeded

Driver side panel installed with zip ties on front and the master cylinder guard secures the back

Master cylinder guard reinstalled

Look at driver side guard installed from passenger side view

Passenger side guard installed. the back is sort of held in place by the former cooing fan factor zip tie. If for some reason temps spike I can easily open the back part of this guard for emergency cooling

As the video shows, I'm easily getting 90F + temps from the ducts after 1 mile of running. The RMAX engine puts out a lot more power and as a result gets up to temperature much quicker than the X2/X4. Perfect for cheapie heater's needs. 15 MPH is all you need to start feeling warm air and obviously faster speeds really force air through the ducts. If you're going slow, the fan will kick on a lot more than the X2/X4 did/does simply from the added heat output of the RMAX's engine. I could have sealed off the front gaps between those uprights and radiator but I think it's boxed off enough to do what I need to do and not risk overheating.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,622 Posts
How cold does it get there. I no longer see a location and memory not so good.

·
Administrator
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Winters range anywhere in the teens up to the higher 30's. We rarely see below zero temps.

135 F at the duct with it at 40 F outside and engine fan kicking on. Was able to get 140 F doing 35 MPH with engine at 191:

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,622 Posts
I believe you'll need to open the window.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,622 Posts
I am out on the trail here with snow as long is its not enough for sleds to be on it. I find only when there is a good cross wind I feel it cold. Not unbearable by a long shot. A chill cuts through my jacket. Front wind is virtually nothing with my my short windshield and visor part down if and only if I feel I need it.

I bough a seat heated pad last year and its fabulous. My butt and back can get very warm with it. Its fine you can put the heating in but without some control. I can see you hanging out the side on the trail trying to cool down. Otherwise frightening the wild life stripping out their!!! LOL

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,622 Posts
PS: Wife might like it though. Grin...

Reactions: wolvymanx4
101 - 120 of 123 Posts