Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This latest version is probably close to final. The only improvements would be using a larger collector say 3-4" reduced down to 2" for the ducts and maybe adding a squirrel cage fan. I started off with 1.5" ducting and vent outlets which didn't move a whole lot of air and I just ran the ducts to the radiator without a collector. This latest version, I used a piece of 2" PVC pipe to collect hot air coming off the radiator.

I cut a strip equal to 1/4 of the circumference of the pipe out for air to enter the 2" PVC pipe. Left about 1.5" on each end to secure the 2" ducting to with hose clamps. Initially I capped off one end as shown and then used a Y adapter to feed my 2 outlets but later reconfigured it so each end of the tube fed a 2" duct and removed the Y.

Driver side duct. I used that 1/4 piece I cut out as a guard to prevent the steering driveshaft from rubbing on the duct

Initially the other end was capped off

But then added another 2" duct for the passenger side

Little better shot of the air collector. I have it zip tied to the radiator shroud to keep the collector close and the opening positioned correctly. The zip tie doesn't interfere with he fan blade.

Vent ducts in cab. Simply close them all the way in the summer

In the video below you can't see the infrared thermometer's readout so I took a snapshot and adjusted the image settings so you can see the readout of 117 F. Couldn't do the same with the outside temp, which showed 28 F. Notice the snow melting as it hits the windshield.

I have maybe 50 bucks into this setup. I got the 2" ducts and hoses from Summit Racing:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/VTA-499193

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/VTA-318010

It's important to note that in the video above I DO NOT have my radiator blocked as I did previously. The air coming out of the ducts is nice and warm. For those looking for a budget solution, I feel it's worthwhile. No coolant plumbing or leaks to worry about or the headache of bleeding air on install or as regular maintenance. When the radiator cooling fan kicks in I'm willing to bet that the air coming out is actually hotter than what you would get via a dedicated heater core UNLESS your heater core uses a bypass valve.

The simplicity of this setup is that it's kind of acts like speed-sensitive steering, but for heat without the need for fancy tech. The air flow coming out at low speeds is low, but it's still warm because at lower speeds in the winter, your engine isn't putting out as much heat vs when the engine is at speed and putting out more heat. You also don't get the noise from aftermarket heater setups as we're either using vehicle speed to force air into the collector or the occasional radiator fan activating.

I no longer lift my engine cover with this latest version. The air collector really rams air through the ducting.

·
Registered
631 Posts
That's some fantastic Redneck Phillipino engineering right there! Nice work Massive!

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Instead of blocking the front of the radiator like I had been, I made a behind-the-radiator collector. With no active fan (other than the radiator fan), this works out better in forcing air through the ducts.

Works great! Melting snow on the windshield at 16 F with the inside cab fan blowing

·
Registered
227 Posts
Did you put defrost vents in? Or just the cab louvers?

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No need for defroster vents as my double fan simply takes the cab vent heat that rises and pushes that to the windshield. As a matter of fact, the fan by itself is enough to prevent fogging on the inside of the windshield.

Reactions: Godti

·
Registered
227 Posts
Awesome, good to know

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Registered
23 Posts
No need for defroster vents as my double fan simply takes the cab vent heat that rises and pushes that to the windshield. As a matter of fact, the fan by itself is enough to prevent fogging on the inside of the windshield.
Can you share the info for the cab fan? Interested in getting one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You must have a t or a y to split between the louvers? Is that behind the firewall? Do you have any pics of that?

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you share the info for the cab fan? Interested in getting one.
There's a ton of them on Amazon, just one example that looks like what I have: https://www.amazon.com/Taotuo-Electric-Rotatable-Circulator-Vehicles/dp/B07TT5SWHT/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=dual+auto+fan&qid=1585972239&sr=8-5

You must have a t or a y to split between the louvers? Is that behind the firewall? Do you have any pics of that?
In earlier versions I used a 'Y', but look at post #1 again. I have a picture of the passenger side initially capped off, but then the picture after shows another duct run for the passenger side. The red kitty litter air collector has one side disconnected as it can't be installed behind the radiator with both sides hooked up. The second duct has to be attached after you place it behind the radiator.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Awesome.

What about water? Like driving thru big puddles and mud holes?

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome.

Well, typically that happens in the spring/summer, where I have the vents closed off so it's not an issue, but rarely do I go through deep water, and if I do, it's at very low speed so it's not an issue for me.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Massive... It is brilliant!
By the way, computer fans are 12 v and come in all sizes. Northern Tool had a whole bin of them.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Registered
227 Posts
Awesome.

Well, typically that happens in the spring/summer, where I have the vents closed off so it's not an issue, but rarely do I go through deep water, and if I do, it's at very low speed so it's not an issue for me.
Yeah, but if water gets in the where does it go if you know what I mean

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, but if water gets in the where does it go if you know what I mean
It will fill the ducts, but then they'll just drain right back out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The collector is the low point?

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered