Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Vendor
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride yesterday in my Wolverine after work. Has our coated sheave, 18 gr weights, gold spring and wet clutch slug kit.

Had some sound attenuating ear buds in listening to music as I went, really just went for a ride but started noticing something different

I had removed the power commander from it, as the one I was testing was not the actual unit that will come on the wolverine, the harness was too short.

Anyway what I noticed was it was really easy to get to 57mph, that is where my limiter is hitting now, yeah it is only 2mph gain but that is not my point. I was able to do that so easily and hold it just over half throttle. Once I get the right PCV I will put it back on and get what I was getting in testing, 58-60

With the stock clutching in there it would labor to get there and stay.

So I starting playing with it and really noticed throttle response was crisper with this set up as well.

Not sure if it was in my mind or not but just seemed smoother too, hopefully that was the coating we are using in the sheaves.

Did some high speed runs on a curvy and hilly dirt road near here I used to take my racing XP 900 on and I really had a good time. Had my 25gal sprayer in the rear so I couldn't get too wild but it was fun none the less

The more I drive this machine the more I like, I really think we are going to keep this one to use around here and hunt on. Our 08 rhino is getting long in the tooth and this is so much better to ride.

Just thought I would share my own feedback

Todd

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Went out for a test run and didn't floor it. Wanted to break the belt in. Even at 3/4 throttle it was holding 55 but seemed like the rev limiter was kicking in. Take off is so much improved.. no more herky jerky at very low speeds IE.. Like when loading it on a trailer. It comes on smooth and doesn't release. Shifts up and down very smooth too. Going up a small hill around 30 and could tell it was downshifting and it was smooth.

In low it went up to 38 easily and cruised nicely at 30. Mostly use low on all the trails here since not many long straights. Still need more break in time so I didn't do any full throttle takeoffs. It did respond faster and have more acceleration at part throttle.

Overall, I think it'll work out well and I like the improvement.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Just for giggles.. here's a before and after shot of the ride height at rest. Not really sure about the top since I didn't the marker test. Can really tell it's riding higher on the secondary (the wheel on the left). Been out playing alittle more.. man it does have good takeoff. Spins like crazy in 2wd. Before I really had to lay on it to get some good sideways fishtail action. Now, it's just a blip of the throttle. Looks like I'll be using 4wd a lot more on the trails :D

Before.jpg After.jpg

·
Vendor
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see you are using the gates belt, good belt. I have not put this belt on my wolverine yet. You said you was hitting limiter at 55, mine is 57 and stock secondary spring stock belt I got if I remember right about 58 and then 60 with the PCV

I am really glad you like it, took a lot more time on this sheave than we did on the Viking the first time since we had it borrowed and own this one.

Todd

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
I'll be going with some bigger tires soon so went ahead with the gold spring install. Stock belt still looked brand new since it might of had 15 hours on it and clutch still looked new. Going out today to do some real testing. Yesterday was just breaking in the belt buy driving around here. Can't wait for CDI's and so forth to come out. That will really wake this thing up. I was doing 55 with only 3/4 throttle and felt like it was hitting the limiter but didn't want to push it with a new belt on.

·
Vendor
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know top speed is not that big of a deal but it should go a little faster than 55 before hitting limiter sounds like you have the same set up I do besides the belt

I hope by end of the month we can get the new Power Commander for this, I already have a fuel map I made for a stock machine ready to go.

Todd

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Well, I certainly did a lot of testing and the takeoff is awesome now. Buddy in a new XP900 was following and he said he would hear the motor, watch the backend squat and it just took off from him. So 0-40 is much improved. Lot of hill climbing here after sharp turns. Slow turn then gun it up the hill.. thing was pulling hard. Very responsive.. Love it.

Just for some fun, I did some drag racing with a non stock 350 Warrior and a built 450 TRX.. from 0-50 I had the warrior by a hair and from 0-40 was even with the 450 but after that the 450 took off pretty good from both of us. So acceleration is there :D Mainly what I wanted.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Made a little vid of the acceleration. Wish I would have done a before and after. It definitely hops up there much quicker. Especially when climbing hills. Right after I clicked off this vid it flipped to 56. I let off the throttle a little and it actually sped up. LOL

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Total was $418. Cheaper than a 1 little exhaust. LOL Was looking at the HMF and fuel controller but 500 bucks for an exhaust is a bit much not counting the 269 for the controller. Full FMF on my 4 wheeler was only 300ish.

Personally, I think the sheave/clutch mods gives more bang for the buck. Now if that pipe had a power commander with it, it may be a different story. Don't think a few hundred more RPM wouldn't hurt the DOHC motor at all but give a good improvement.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Update on the machine sheave after 150 miles of serious dust. Usually following and it's been really dusty here. I was too curious and had to see how the sheave looked after driving for hours and hours 5th in line of a convoy through super dusty trails yesterday. I'm talking barely seeing the person in front of you for hours. My wolfsnout mask was completely matted with dust. Noticed I was losing power half way through the day. Took the air filter out and it was just layers of solid dirt. Did a field cleaning with some gas and power returned.

After that, I had to see how super dusty riding would affect a greaseless system. There was no performance changes in the gearing the whole time. Shifting seemed very smooth.

I pop'd it open and it wasn't as much as I would have thought would be in there. I was kind of shocked. I figured everything would be packed with dirt. Rollers looked pretty good, could see where it was moving around to new areas to slide. Here's the results.

Some dust but nothing that couldn't just be blown out real quick.
IMG_20150719_171601_113.jpg

Close up of rollers.
IMG_20150719_171620_849.jpg

Cleaned up and no wear on plate.. just polished
IMG_20150719_173023_511.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
I like the greaseless set up, I mentioned to jbs about not using grease and they recommend using it. Maybe it has something to do with the different weights.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts