Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there know of replacement wheels for a 16 wolverine,with the correct offsets? Looking for 6in fronts & 7.5in rears,or 7in fronts & 8in rears with the fact offsets,which is 4.5-4.75 in.In the aftermarkets,most are all 7in front&rear,I do not want all rims same width.Wasted money on a set of allum rhino wheels(should have read this forum first).They do bolt right on,offsets are wrong,about .5in in farther.Fronts hit the calipers,rears hit the brake line and the centers are way too shallow.So far,all I have found are expensive OMFs & hipers.Thought about Viking wheels.Thank you for any ideas...

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Anyone out there know of replacement wheels for a 16 wolverine,with the correct offsets? Looking for 6in fronts & 7.5in rears,or 7in fronts & 8in rears with the fact offsets,which is 4.5-4.75 in.In the aftermarkets,most are all 7in front&rear,I do not want all rims same width.Wasted money on a set of allum rhino wheels(should have read this forum first).They do bolt right on,offsets are wrong,about .5in in farther.Fronts hit the calipers,rears hit the brake line and the centers are way too shallow.So far,all I have found are expensive OMFs & hipers.Thought about Viking wheels.Thank you for any ideas...
Well you mention you would like 6" front and 7.5" rear, that is the stock size, so I am confused. Are you wanting to "uprgade" or replace a damaged wheel? Or are you looking for more strength? A different diameter? Here is what I can tell you...The vast majority of aftermarket wheels are 7" width, as you have found. The offset everyone seems to be selling for the wolverine is 5+2, which is just fine up front, but too shallow for the rear. I ordered 1" wheel spacers for the back to solve that problem. If all you are wanting is a stock replacement wheel, the wolverine wheel part numbers are the same as the viking part numbers, at least that's what the oem parts page I looked at showed me. Let us know what you are trying to accomplish and we can give you better guidance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply,I just wanted to get rid of the black stock wheels.Ended up installing SE rhino allum rims.The black wheels have 4.5 back spacing,rhino wheels have 5.25 back spacing,a difference of .75in.Used 1in spacers,works fine.You must use Viking spacers,they have 12mm studs,just like the wolverines.Rhinos & grizzlys have 10mm studs.Just bought it,don't have the funds for wheels & tires yet.When I do,will prob get 14in, 5+2s ft & 5+3s for the rear and 27in tires.Probally Hiper or OMF beadlocks.Tires,not sure.Bighorns,have very weak sidewalls and get holes in the tread too easy,thinking blackwaters,but they may be too heavy.Thank you again...

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Thank you for the reply,I just wanted to get rid of the black stock wheels.Ended up installing SE rhino allum rims.The black wheels have 4.5 back spacing,rhino wheels have 5.25 back spacing,a difference of .75in.Used 1in spacers,works fine.You must use Viking spacers,they have 12mm studs,just like the wolverines.Rhinos & grizzlys have 10mm studs.Just bought it,don't have the funds for wheels & tires yet.When I do,will prob get 14in, 5+2s ft & 5+3s for the rear and 27in tires.Probally Hiper or OMF beadlocks.Tires,not sure.Bighorns,have very weak sidewalls and get holes in the tread too easy,thinking blackwaters,but they may be too heavy.Thank you again...
I actually just got a set of blackwaters. They are definitely heavier than my Zillas were, but waaaaaaay tougher.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I actually just got a set of blackwaters. They are definitely heavier than my Zillas were, but waaaaaaay tougher.
Funny. I have lived in Ohio most of my life and its the only place I hear people refer to wheels as rims. Thats what I have always called them but I lived in IL for a bit and people thought it was weird.

Anyway.

How do you like the backwaters? These are the Blackwater Evolutions right? I see that they are not super heavy. How is the ride?

I usually run the Sedona Ripsaws but this tire caught my eye.

I have always been in the camp that if you run a tire that is too hard, you risk bending hardware instead of popping a tire. I had 14 plys on my Maverick, hit a rock and completely bent my tie rod. I would have rather patched a tire :)

Anyway let me know about the backwaters. Seem comperable to the rocktane but with a little nicer tread.

This is what you have, right?

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Funny. I have lived in Ohio most of my life and its the only place I hear people refer to wheels as rims. Thats what I have always called them but I lived in IL for a bit and people thought it was weird.

Anyway.

How do you like the backwaters? These are the Blackwater Evolutions right? I see that they are not super heavy. How is the ride?

I usually run the Sedona Ripsaws but this tire caught my eye.

I have always been in the camp that if you run a tire that is too hard, you risk bending hardware instead of popping a tire. I had 14 plys on my Maverick, hit a rock and completely bent my tie rod. I would have rather patched a tire :)

Anyway let me know about the backwaters. Seem comperable to the rocktane but with a little nicer tread.

This is what you have, right?
Ya those are the ones I have. I only just put them on. I am going to Hatfield on Thursday so I will have a good review for you after the weekend. I did take them on the road and they are no where near as smooth as my zillas were. The zillas were like floating on air lol. I actually have steering wheel shimmy at 55mph with them, even with the power steering. I really don't need to worry about that as I will never hit that on the trails but still. They are an 8ply radial and look promising for the type of riding I will do. I ride in western pa a lot and there are tons of rocks and hill climbs so tearing sidewalls is my main concern.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Have fun at Hatfield McCoy. Not going there again until Oct. Cant come fast enough!

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Odd

Just wondering if anyone had an update on the blackwaters? I am interested in them too.
Well, they puncture and tear resistant, I will say that. However, they wore far faster than I anticipated. I put a few hundred miles on them, and it looks like I put 500 on them. All the square edges are rounded off pretty bad, and the tread blocks ALL started to separate at the mold seam down the center of the tire. Not to the point of chunking off yet, but noticeable separation. I don't have a pic, nor can I take one, as my bike is at HMF right now. As for the driveability of the tire, it acts like an all terrain, but does OK in mud still. Not great, but OK. Pushes a little in hard turns. In gooey clay you better be in 4wd or you are going off the side of that mountain in a hurry. In coal wash....its like driving on asphalt. They dig like a SOB. Gravel is super loose, but that's to be expected. They do well on wet rocks though. I crossed quite a few rivers and creeks and went up a few square edges shelf rocks with no trouble at all. I still think at this point I would buy them again. Now, high speed they have a bit of tire shake to them. It is to the point of being unpleasant at times. But, again, these are off road tires, so with that in mind, its not as much of an issue. I will.update again in another few hundred miles.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks. That may still be my pick. I like those and the rocktanes. I think rocktanes have deeper tread but a lot of people say they dont seal good on the rim and are always flat or going flat. Also heard they had a bad batch so that may not be an issue now. It would be crap to come out to flats to start the day with tho. I have some Sadona Rip Saws on my wifes ranger and they are pretty mean tires. Its like following a tiller thru the woods.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I ordered the Blackwater Evolutions for my new Wolverine I bought last week. Along with 14 inch rims "wheels". It is still with the dealer waiting on parts to come in. Should be getting it next week.

I did alot of research into tires and my second choice was the STI Roctane XD Radial, and third was the EFX MotoClaw Radial.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wondering if YXZ rims will fit on a Wolverine.They are 4 on 110 bc,have 12mm studs,both the same as the Wolverine.But,cannot find the widths or backspacing of the YXZ anywhere.Have seen a few people with YXZs changing their rims&tires already,was a set on facebook for sale a couple of wks ago.

·
Banned
504 Posts
I do know all of the YXZ rims are the same offset, front and rear

Wondering if YXZ rims will fit on a Wolverine.They are 4 on 110 bc,have 12mm studs,both the same as the Wolverine.But,cannot find the widths or backspacing of the YXZ anywhere.Have seen a few people with YXZs changing their rims&tires already,was a set on facebook for sale a couple of wks ago.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same offset as a Wolverine? All I have found out so far,is the rears are wider than fronts,but do not know the widths,possibly 7s&8s.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Same offset front to back I believe. Have you checked over at YXZtalk yet? That forum seems to be pretty popular and some might know more about them.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Have posted the question twice,on there, over the past,no answer.
Ok. I've looked there from time to time just out of curiosity. I can tell you for sure that with a 7 inch wheel on all 4 corners a 5+2 offset works great because that's what I have and I know EpicWolverine is running a 4+3 and he hasn't reported any issues.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to YXZ talk,there was a person looking for a spare.Another responded ft or rear.First responded "I hadn't realized the wheels themselves were different widths. Front." From that,I thought they must be different widths,usually Yamaha installs wider wheels on the rear of their utvs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts