Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to hear from those who have ever been out riding alone, and had a catastrophic machine breakdown. Did you have to walkout? How far? Daytime, nightime? How'd you secure your machine that you left behind? How'd you get your machine back to home base?

Luckily, I've never had this happen to me, but I look forward to useful comments/suggestions in case I ever do breakdown.

·
Registered
2019 honda passport touring 07 grizz 660
114 Posts
Snowmobiling pull code snapped left it on the trail it was 15 degreees out had to get towed out prayed noone would take it walked 45 minutes out was cold as heck mxz670ho 97 sold it as soon as it got fixed never been snowmobiling again

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Interesting topic. So far I've been lucky. Swamped my X4 the second day I had it. Didn't let it die was about 2 miles from the house. When I got it home the skids were full of sand. The brake calipers were toast from the ties spinning.

2nd I was probably 5 miles from camp and broke a tie rod. Tied every thing together with a vise grip and mule tape. Ratchet strapped the the side with the broke tie rod up the best I could. Made it out of the woods.

3rd Broke a ball joint in the Rmax. Use the same mule tape I had from the X4 to to tied the a-arms together and made it out on the trail.

Been lucky and had tools to bandage things together. Probably damaged the machines some with the bandages but I didn't walk and was able to recover the machines without being towed. Highly recommend everyone carry some mule tape.

Wilcat and Polaris's that I had are similar secnerios but I was alwasy able to drive them out with a little r e d n e c k engineering. My RS1 I rolled multiple times down a hill. Broke all the plastics, bent a wheel and radius arm. Drove it out but it was wobbly. Lukily I was strapped in and had my cowboy hat on the keep my brains from splattering. I needed Advil the next day though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Interesting topic. So far I've been lucky. Swamped my X4 the second day I had it. Didn't let it die was about 2 miles from the house. When I got it home the skids were full of sand. The brake calipers were toast from the ties spinning.

2nd I was probably 5 miles from camp and broke a tie rod. Tied every thing together with a vise grip and mule tape. Ratchet strapped the the side with the broke tie rod up the best I could. Made it out of the woods.

3rd Broke a ball joint in the Rmax. Use the same mule tape I had from the X4 to to tied the a-arms together and made it out on the trail.

Been lucky and had tools to bandage things together. Probably damaged the machines some with the bandages but I didn't walk and was able to recover the machines without being towed. Highly recommend everyone carry some mule tape.

Wilcat and Polaris's that I had are similar secnerios but I was alwasy able to drive them out with a little r e d n e c k engineering. My RS1 I rolled multiple times down a hill. Broke all the plastics, bent a wheel and radius arm. Drove it out but it was wobbly. Lukily I was strapped in and had my cowboy hat on the keep my brains from splattering. I needed Advil the next day though.
So never go riding with you ? LOL

·
Registered
390 Posts
Closest I ever came was my 2001 Honda Foreman sprung a coolant leak and over heated. I was only a mile from home so drove it back anyway, had to cross a river which actually made the hot light go off.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Do tie rods typically snap in the middle somewhere or break at the ball joint? Is it common to carry a spare?

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,228 Posts
Don't wanna jinx myself so staying away from this thread. Hahaha😉

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Purchased first sxs 2020 Wolverine X4 with no spare. Ripped sidewall around 200 miles. I was able to pump it up and drive like heck for about 1/4 mile. Rinse and repeat for 3 miles. Purchased 2021 R4LE, at about 200 miles ripped sidewall with no spare. This time there were two holes. Two miles from rig. Inflating tire while plugging the two small holes with my fingers. Quickly (kinda) disconnecting the pump, running around to the drivers side, getting in and going 75 yards before I'm deflated. Took a while. Needless to say I have a spare.....and better tires. Luckily I wasn't far from the rig.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
About a mile last winter. Slid off the side of a trail in the snow and got stopped with the passenger side tires hanging on to the edge of the bank above a 30ft drop off. Snapped a winch cable trying to recover it and figured I better stop while I was ahead. 2AM -4 degrees, about a foot of snow up top and nearly to the bottom of the 1300 ft hill our camp sits on. Winched it out the next day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
About a mile last winter. Slid off the side of a trail in the snow and got stopped with the passenger side tires hanging on to the edge of the bank above a 30ft drop off. Snapped a winch cable trying to recover it and figured I better stop while I was ahead. 2AM -4 degrees, about a foot of snow up top and nearly to the bottom of the 1300 ft hill our camp sits on. Winched it out the next day.

Was beer involved?🙄😜😂😂

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Was beer involved?🙄😜😂😂
Don't go blaming the beer. It was probably the whiskey's fault.

Truth be told it was all driver err. Where you turn onto this trail it's about a buggy wide and down hill. The snow means the down hill side is closer than it looks and you could be a foot farther to the uphill side. If I would have stopped 15 foot sooner I could have backed out. I was still thinking it would hook and pull out right up until there was no chance of it. I did grab a beer for the walk out, but it was froze solid.

Found the dash cam of it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Long before SXS's we had snowmobiles. One time as kids we were about 20 miles from camp when I blew the motor. My buddy on the other sled goes back to get my dad. He had a mid 90's gmc jimmy and comes out with no tow strap but had a couple ratchet straps. First mistake. Well, we get the sled strapped up and made it about 50 feet before the strap broke and smashed out the back window of the jimmy. LOL Dad was not laughing out loud. Haha Another time my brother and I on separate sleds. I was leading and saw the wash out so I did a brake slide and gas around it. Just as I turned back around he went straight into it. He went ass over tea kettle over the handle bars. Busted a ski and f'd up the hood pretty good. We were able to limp it back to camp. Out of probably riding more than 10k miles on snowmobiles from about 12-18 years old we never had a break down or something we couldn't limp home.

·
Registered
2020 Wolverine X2 XT-R
30 Posts
Do any of you guys carry tree savers, snatch blocks and d-rings? We always do in our Jeeps. Think I may equip my X2 with them as well.

I spent the night in my old Baja bug in a hole back in '87. Two buddies with me. We woke up around 6am to our feet covered in water. The water came in about 10" deep inside. Finally go it out with a come along. We couldn't muster up the energy to get it out at 3am. I believe that was the last time that I ever went out solo.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Do any of you guys carry tree savers, snatch blocks and d-rings? We always do in our Jeeps. Think I may equip my X2 with them as well.

I spent the night in my old Baja bug in a hole back in '87. Two buddies with me. We woke up around 6am to our feet covered in water. The water came in about 10" deep inside. Finally go it out with a come along. We couldn't muster up the energy to get it out at 3am. I believe that was the last time that I ever went out solo.
5 or 6 D rings, 1 soft shackle, 2 snatch blocks, 1 recovery ring, 2 20x2 recovery straps, 1 1x10 tow strap/tree saver, 1 4x8 tree saver. Since that walk there is also a spare 50 ft winch line and a Fid for splicing.

Reactions: B52U
1 - 20 of 32 Posts