Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the knob to locked differential the engine sounds like it's going to stall (engine starts to run rough), I'll quickly turn back to 4wd and it runs normal. I never kept it in locked differential position expecting it to stall the engine.
Is this "normal"?

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Yes.
4wd on the fly, but diff lock needs time to engage the clutch dog so the system needs to be unloaded.
Stop, select diff lock, turn the wheel back & forth a little and it should engage.
It's in the owners manual.
You may have to do the throttle blip thing sometimes to roll a little so nothing is on a bind.
Search the forum, plenty of post here on it.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,462 Posts
Are the front diffs the same as 1st gen. I don't have what I'd call a delay in mine. It takes a few seconds for the actuator to move and its in. Although I am not loading it up when doing it. Same with 2 to 4WD.

If you're still it may depend on where it is when it stopped and if it can engage without moving a bit. IMO being in a straight going posture is key, once wheels turn or not riding straight is a new ball game. Its the same thing when I'd engage 4WD in my Jeep and other SUV, align for straight driving even at speed and engage, done!!!

Reactions: Itinerant1

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
On the X machines, the 4wd will engage on the fly, but you need to let off the gas pedal after you switch back to 2wd. This can all be done while moving.
The 4wd Diff Lock, needs to be stopped to allow lock engagement of the clutch dog.
As per the manual, IIRC, you might have to turn the wheel back & forth a little to help the engagement. This may be due to alignment and/or load on the system.

As many have mentioned, bumping the throttle to move the machine aids in the alignment/load upon the system to allow quicker engagement.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Reactions: Itinerant1

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Yamaha also has a very similar video as this one, but with another narrator.
I think it's from 2017 IIRC.
You Gen 1 guys should've been all over this......slackers.....LOL :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Correction, it's from 2013

2017 Video

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,462 Posts
I was and saw the video or similar a long time ago.

Refresher....

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Same for me Tripplec.
I thought we had a clutch pack but it turns out it's a friction disc; spring plate and washer plate.
In the first video from 13', they even call it a 'clutch pack', but it's not a series of similar plates like many other packs.
Friction disc will be the term I use from now on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks. I'll give it a try and just let it do its thing and the engine should stop it rough running after it engages.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Yes the engine is acting like that because it's not engaged and preventing user error from damage.
Once it's engaged, you will have full power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts