Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im a HUGE yamaha fan boy.. I've had them all my 24 riding years so far... sleds, bikes on and off, sport and utilty quads, watercraft a rhino....No real problems ever..

I bought a new 16 wolverine and a 16 grizzly a month ago. I simply love the Yamaha name, the quality... After all they are the largest manufacturer of engines, they build / design their own engines and components right? WRONG... at least with the 2016 wolverine and grizzly this isn't the case. ( just so happens to be the two I have and know of so far)
This new "708 DOHC motor" thats used in them is not even thoroughbred Yamaha... Its a joint design between yamaha and Robin and built by Subaru for Yamaha obviously. Does it mean its a pile, Id bet no.... Subaru is a good Japanese company also but not what I expected..
Lets move on to the running gear, the diffs ( front and rear ) are NOT built by by Yamaha... They are made by a company called Tuff Torq, you know, the company that makes those junk rear ends for the low end big box store lawn mowers and snow blowers for MTD and the low end John Deere line. Just goggling them will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I bought a Yamaha because I wanted a Yamaha. I kinda wonder what they actually make on this? Probably not much at this point. Maybe the frame and a-arms?

My local dealer has had a few 2016 708's back in at under 20 HRS. Casting flaws causing oil leaks, coolant in the oil, and a oil burner.
All three of these sat in that shop for long weeks to a few months before Yamaha made a move. They replaced one with a new unit with the casing flaw and repaired the others finally.
The shop said they were having getting even simple parts for them and Yamaha is NOT offering a complete motor for them at all incase someone has a complete failure such as the casting issue. The reason behind this is speculated that they don't have enough extra parts or engines to pull off the production lines even after 9 mo of production..

I haven't had a moments trouble out of mine yet, I have few hours on both. Many ppl have several thousand miles so far on the new 708 motors. I cannot comment anything else than the facts i was able to share with you here. I maybe overreacting a bit but I am feeling let down... If i wanted a mixed matched unit i would have saved thousands of dollars and bought a Polaris.....
Out sourcing is nothing new to lots of companies, but its not a Yamaha tradition.. Are they trying to cut costs? Dealer thinks its a little cost cutting and possibly they don't plan to use this motor very long so they didn't want to set up the tooling to build it in house. We all know if yamaha makes something its stays the same for a long wile as when they got a good thing they don't fix it.

Let me know what you guys think about this... Id love to feel better after paying 24K bucks...

Mike,

Attachments

Reactions: MUDDY and All out

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Im a HUGE yamaha fan boy.. I've had them all my 24 riding years so far... sleds, bikes on and off, sport and utilty quads, watercraft a rhino....No real problems ever!

I bought a new 16 wolverine and a 16 grizzly a month ago. I simply love the Yamaha name, the quality... After all they are the largest manufacturer of engines, they build / design their own engines and components right? WRONG... at least with the 2016 wolverine and grizzly this isn't the case. ( just so happens to be the two I have and know of so far)
This new "708 DOHC motor" thats used in them is not even thoroughbred Yamaha... Its a joint design between yamaha and Robin and built by Subaru for Yamaha obviously. Does it mean its a pile, Id bet no.... Subaru is a good Japanese company also but not what I expected..
Lets move on to the running gear, the diffs ( front and rear ) are NOT built by by Yamaha... They are made by a company called Tuff Torq, you know, the company that makes those junk rear ends for the low end big box store lawn mowers and snow blowers for MTD and the low end John Deere line. Just goggling them will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I bought a Yamaha because I wanted a Yamaha. I kinda wonder what they actually make on this? Probably not much at this point. Maybe the frame and a-arms?

My local dealer has had a few 2016 708's back in at under 20 HRS. Casting flaws causing oil leaks, coolant in the oil, and a oil burner.
All three of these sat in that shop for long weeks to a few months before Yamaha made a move. They replaced one with a new unit with the casing flaw and repaired the others finally.
The shop said they were having getting even simple parts for them and Yamaha is NOT offering a complete motor for them at all incase someone has a complete failure such as the casting issue. The reason behind this is speculated that they don't have enough extra parts or engines to pull off the production lines even after 9 mo of production..

I haven't had a moments trouble out of mine yet, I have few hours on both. Many ppl have several thousand miles so far on the new 708 motors. I cannot comment anything else than the facts i was able to share with you here. I maybe overreacting a bit but I am feeling let down... If i wanted a mixed matched unit i would have saved thousands of dollars and bought a Polaris.....
Out sourcing is nothing new to lots of companies, but its not a Yamaha tradition.. Are they trying to cut costs? Dealer thinks its a little cost cutting and possibly they don't plan to use this motor very long so they didn't want to set up the tooling to build it in house. We all know if yamaha makes something its stays the same for a long wile as when they got a good thing they don't fix it.

Let me know what you guys think about this... Id love to feel better after paying 24K bucks...

Mike,
this would explain some of the parts availability issues,my exhaust pipe arrived,but the gasget for it is on backorder,the tail lights on the wolverine are supposedly off a motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Not to discredit the OP, but this is their first post, don't get to wrapped around the axle (excited). I've seen many "one post and done" posts on every forum I participate on and never pay much attention as they are not legit many times. Seriously, this is the largest Wolverine forum on the net and how many casting flaws causing oil leaks, coolant in the oil, and a oil burner's have we seen????

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Not to discredit the OP, but this is their first post, don't get to wrapped around the axle (excited). I've seen many "one post and done" posts on every forum I participate on and never pay much attention as they are not legit many times. Seriously, this is the largest Wolverine forum on the net and how many casting flaws causing oil leaks, coolant in the oil, and a oil burner's have we seen????

Your right.. I just like wasting my time and 24 grand just to post on the largest wolverine forum... A google search its easy to find out the motor isn't made by yamaha..
The proof of yamaha not making the diffs is in the damn pic.. Don't care if you agree with me or not, this is my money and my time..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quadmaster 50. What is the name of your local dealer that was dealing with these 708 engine problems? I would like to contact them to find out how Yamaha responded to these issues. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Quadmaster 50. What is the name of your local dealer that was dealing with these 708 engine problems? I would like to contact them to find out how Yamaha responded to these issues. Thanks
How they handled the issues is in the OP..

Im pretty sure this is the guy the shop was telling me about.. His name is rick.... he had the bad case pouring oil out and he got a new grizzly from yamaha as stated above. Im not sure if the guy actually knows or not but he didn't get a new quad out of the goodness of Yamaha. Yamaha couldn't provide parts to fix his...

http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/grizzly-talk/50604-my-2nd-2016-grizzly-much-better.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quadmaster 50. I am on the fence about purchasing a YES warranty from Yamaha and have 1 month left on original factory warranty. Talking with the dealer who has dealt with the 708 engine problems will help me decide on purchasing the YES warranty. I would appreciate it if you could respond with the dealers name. Thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Quadmaster 50. I am on the fence about purchasing a YES warranty from Yamaha and have 1 month left on original factory warranty. Talking with the dealer who has dealt with the 708 engine problems will help me decide on purchasing the YES warranty. I would appreciate it if you could respond with the dealers name. Thanks again.

Acceleration in Anderson IN 765 649 0111.. READ READ READ that YES warranty... It don't cover much but if you can get it cheap enough it would be worth it. I got them down to about 450.00 for it.
Please don't call them telling them ppl is running there mouth about the brand they sell... I have no beef with the dealer just disappointed with the brand. When asked about the issues the salesman seemed to never recall any issues till i got to talk to the one of the guys ( rick ) that actually owned the grizzly that was having the issues in person there. All of a sudden the salesman recalled the 3 big issues I spoke of above and blamed yamaha for it.. Truth be told.. I agree with the salesman.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quad, thanks for the info. $450 for YES is a great deal, I tried the local dealer after the fact and he wanted twice that. Did find a Yamaha dealer on EBay selling them for $499.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Parts and accessory availability, repair delays are valid reasons to be disappointed. I'm really surprised Yamaha dropped the ball on having adequate parts availability before releasing these machines. Then again the new world order is JIT delivery and outsource from the cheapest supplier. I don't much care for the new way of doing business but all of the manufacturers from GM on down are doing it.

It appears in the extreme failure of a junk casting that Yamaha or at least the dealer stepped to the plate and made things right. The delay in making warrantied repairs is the issue I find most disconcerting. We spend a lot of money on these machines with the expectation that we will be able to enjoy them during a limited riding season on our precious days off. To have them set in the repair shop for weeks, even months awaiting repairs is totally unacceptable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
All 500-600 members?

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
You guys realize that you can respond without quoting the post directly above yours, right?

As for the OP, having a new machine broke would suck, but outsourcing parts is how every manufacturer builds machines and keeps the price down. I'm not saying that these machines are inexpensive, but they would be far more expensive if they built everything in house

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I get the outsourcing but why did they have to start it in 2016 when i buy my new toys LOL. This post wasn't to sway people away from the yamaha name, just let them know what i little i have found out.... Im sure they will be ok... But I'm going to miss my genuine yamaha motor!

I can't wait for the summer to get some good use out of these things!

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
They have been doing this for awhile now. The last real Yamaha motor in the little raptors was the 2007 Raptor 80. All the 90's are not made by Yamaha. They still work fine but it's nice to see the little Yamaha logo on the stator cover.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hopefully Honda makes the African Twin that I plan to get in a Pioneer 1000. I want a Honda not a Subaru. Glad I waited and did not get a Wolverine when I hear they don't make their own motors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hopefully Honda makes the African Twin that I plan to get in a Pioneer 1000. I want a Honda not a Subaru. Glad I waited and did not get a Wolverine when I hear they don't make their own motors.
They do indeed make that motor, We took a hard look at the pioneer 1K actually looked at it 4 times.. I finally found one that was like new buy used for 15K. Got a good test drive with the owner out of it for about 30 min in real world conditions, not just a parking lot or a strip of grass. I had to pass for the same reason the owner was selling it for... The seat is hard as a rock, The front suspension is just garbage! It would bottom out VERY easy! The transmission seemed cool in the parking lot but in the woods it sucked.. Its not geared low enough and kicks in and out o gear at 5mph... Some places you cannot go that fast.. Even low range wasn't low enough.. Seemed to make it jerk even harder but this was 4 mph ( as slow as it will go and still engage into gear)
I liked how smooth the motor was, was very strong, Turf mode was cool.. Lots of features! the rear seats for the kids and the overall fit and finish.... Its NOT a woods / play toy... Its made for working on the farm a little play in the fields and thats it. Honda is trying to market it as a crossover but its still firmly planted in the utility market i promise... Its better in all areas then the pioneer 700 but the 700 has woods friendly transmission... ( really thats about all the 700 has..)

Yamaha wolverine is the best woods / trail unit on the market currently for my area. You got to pick the right tool for the job, depends on what you want to do with it really. If I said the wolverine is the best period thats crazy, one ride in the dunes will have you wanting more than 47hp in a 1350 LB sXs. Its designed and built to be a trail unit, nothing more nothing less and it excels at it greatly! If your wanting a pioneer for tight woods and trails, you'll be greatly disappointed!

Reactions: MUDDY

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
All 500-600 members?
Exactly, and guys are more than willing to post issues. We just need facts to back it up like others have posted on other issues (compression release, rear diff vent, stalling, etc). This exact same engine is in the Grizzly's and there is absolutley not one post on Grizzly Central, which is huge and been around for years, about casting issues, oil leaks, or coolant in the oil.

Do you know of a larger Wolverine forum?

Ok, I'm out.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am not going to read all the posts but just make a valid statement.

Yamaha has always outsourced ... the 686 was not NOT MADE in house after 2009. The diffs have never been maid by yamaha. No re the axles or the radiators.. or the cdi boxes or the rims .. or the tires .. ore the fuel tanks or pumps ... do people honestly think they used to make every part for every machine .. yamaha doesn't make bearings or plastics it has been and always will be outsourced ... all this same crap and conversations happend when the 660 was jumped up to the 686.. then it was all forgotten and now here we are with a 708.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exactly, and guys are more than willing to post issues. We just need facts to back it up like others have posted on other issues (compression release, rear diff vent, stalling, etc). This exact same engine is in the Grizzly's and there is absolutley not one post on Grizzly Central, which is huge and been around for years, about casting issues, oil leaks, or coolant in the oil.

Do you know of a larger Wolverine forum?

Ok, I'm out.

Your actually wrong, yet again... Go look at post #6 there is a link to grizzly central.... Thats one of two i know of about the new 708 motor..
Never the less thanks for tolling!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts