Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my shocks clunk when they go to full extension beecause I removed the sway bars and added 33's and portals. Question - is there any reason why I shouldn't attach front limit straps to the existing sway bar bracket and top shock bolt in the fronts? In the rear I might also attach the bottom of the strap to the sway bar bracket and make a simple bracket on the frame for the upper strap mount. Attaching to the existing sway bar brackets will keep the straps away from rubbing on the shocks and the factory sway brackets were essentially designed to limit the travel anyway. See pics. Tell me why I should not try this....

99353175_290208078650186_405199743124242432_n.jpg
98190870_644290886302239_2214091100337995776_n.jpg
98002597_246347816714525_5503796810805673984_n.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I can't think of a reason not to try it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I believe the forces are multipled cause of the lever principle and it may be harder to adjust to the actual limit cause of the ratio of travel being different than the actual shock travel. I was getting ready to say 'it can't hurt', but it seems like that is a hammer blow in the middle of the a-arm tube every time it gets etended. How big a hammer you hit it with would determine if it can hurt it, over a long period of time.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the forces are multipled cause of the lever principle and it may be harder to adjust to the actual limit cause of the ratio of travel being different than the actual shock travel. I was getting ready to say 'it can't hurt', but it seems like that is a hammer blow in the middle of the a-arm tube every time it gets etended. How big a hammer you hit it with would determine if it can hurt it, over a long period of time.
Hmm, yes, but the factory sway bars were mounted to those brackets and also had downward force every time the shock went full extension. Maybe not as hard of a "blow" as compared to the limiting strap setup might have. Good thought to consider. I suspect the brackets and a-arms could handle the forces, hmmm.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
In all fairness, the sway bar does not hammer. It is basically a torsion bar which is like a spring to gradually absorb the forces.

Reactions: Paul65 and AKHUNTER

·
Registered
311 Posts
A swaybar does not hammer and also does not limit travel as long as both sides are moving equal. When you jack up the front or rear, the swaybars aren't holding up the tires.. Seeing that the mounts are already on the upper A-arms and do see alot of potential force, I would think you could use it as your lower mount. You just gota be sure the limiters don't stretch and become useless after getting wet and heavy use. Adjustable top mounts may be the best option!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think it would probably be fine. I haven't seen many bent arms on these machines. There's also not THAT much weight to the suspension itself. Pull the shock out and check it by hand, it all easily moves.

The real trick will be finding a strap system strong enough to take the abuse. Just running a bolt through that strap will probably rip it in no time at all. When you see actual limit straps the amount of stitching and support are impressive. However, then you run into trying to make a limit strap mount work with the stupid shock tower on these machines.

Reactions: 1slo_CR

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered 18" straps from Speed Straps. I'll get my own bolts and spacers.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Running that size and weight of tire I would check your cv angles, especially at full droop.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Does anyone know the eye to eye length of stock 2019 X2 rspec front and rear shocks? Or the correct length of limiter straps to order, front and rear?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know the eye to eye length of stock 2019 X2 rspec front and rear shocks? Or the correct length of limiter straps to order, front and rear?
I measured the fronts at about 19 3/4" and the rears 20" eye to eye with them on the vehicle so not exaaaaact. Limit straps stretch so the word is to go with a 18" strap for the stock X2 with KYB shocks.

Reactions: Paul65 and Ghost23

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I measured the fronts at about 19 3/4" and the rears 20" eye to eye with them on the vehicle so not exaaaaact. Limit straps stretch so the word is to go with a 18" strap for the stock X2 with KYB shocks.
Thanks

I get a thump when a tire drops over a log or rock. Not when crawling around on the trail, but more when going a bit faster. I have 30" XT warriors on sb3 beadlocks, satv a arms, sway bars disconnected.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

I get a thump when a tire drops over a log or rock. Not when crawling around on the trail, but more when going a bit faster. I have 30" XT warriors on sb3 beadlocks, satv a arms, sway bars disconnected.
My X2 also did that with 30" tires. It did it very frequently, it was annoying, and it didn't seem right. Watch the video in the link below. I think that explains what is happening - your shock is trying to pull itself apart and that is why I am going to install straps. You could try and turn up the dampening setting on your shocks. I cranked my dampening setting and it still clunked and rode terrible, but I'm running 33"s and portals now. It would be a bad day if your shock ripped apart on the trail.

https://www.wolverineforums.com/for...0-no-sway-bars-blown-shocks-limit-straps.html

Reactions: Paul65 and Ghost23

·
Registered
658 Posts
Reactions: Paul65 and AKHUNTER

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reactions: Jeronimo and Paul65

·
Registered
658 Posts
My options are limited up here... lol. The PRP would be double the price unfortunately

·
Registered
658 Posts
Almost ready, The pro-comps were absolute trash. So I ordered up TMR customs straps.https://ca.tmrcustoms.com/products/tmr-customs-premium-quad-wrap-limit-strap

Made my Own stainless spacers and added longer grade 10.9 Bolts.

·
Registered
658 Posts
18" Limiting straps turned out perfect. Didn't lose any ride height but restricted 1.5" of down travel. Hopefully now ill stop busting rear CV boots.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
That is my next project also.
I need to get measurements for hardware.
I notice different manufactures have different tolerances on stretch. Some say to expect 1" and others have it listed to a exact amount.
One company says their 18" stretch is 1-1/2" so I don't think saving 1/2" will work good enough, but it makes me wonder about others 1" if it's truly 1"

Edit: I was looking at weldable adjustable brackets for the straps also.

·
Registered
658 Posts

1 - 20 of 26 Posts