Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I'm wanting to add lights to my 2016 wolverine. I'm trying to find out what is a safe wattage that stock alternator will handle.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
hi. not sure what the stock alternator puts out. check out the lighting and electrical post/forum here

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I'm wanting to add lights to my 2016 wolverine. I'm trying to find out what is a safe wattage that stock alternator will handle.
Keep in mind that you need to subtract all the electrical requirements (Fuel Injection, Power Steering, Fan, Pod, Head lights, Tail lights, Brake Lights, 12v receptacle items, etc.) from the output of the Stator/Alternator to see what is left for auxiliary lighting.

I remember seeing somewhere, someone (I know very vague) had given a voltage range of how electrical loads had an impact on the charging capability and stator lifespan. I'll see if I can find where I had seen it.

It went something like this: NOTE: This is for illustrative purposes only
14.2v - 14.6v = No load at all on Stator
13.8v - 14.1v = Slight load on Stator
12.8v - 13.7v = Heavy load on Stator (would not want to do this long for fear of over heating Stator)
< 12.8v = Extreme load on Stator (you are discharging Battery faster than Stator can charge it)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Keep in mind that also, the alternator recharges the battery. Adding another battery in PARALLEL, not series, can help with the load. It still puts the alternator in a tight spot, but your battery gets saved. Need it to start the engine and the fuel pump/ injectors. These being not-naturally aspirated changes things. Betteries really get stressed under heavy loads. I know Kawasaki sells an additional battery kit for these.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts