Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched through multiple forums but need the Coles notes. Can 30" tires be installed on a 2018 x4 with the 3" superatv lift? Obviously an axle upgrade would be required but I should like to know if it can be accomplished.

Sent from my SM-N9860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not sure what you mean by SuperATV lift since I think your lift options are limited to the highlifter bracket lift or the perfex lift. SuperATV sells forward a-arms but they don’t give you a lift per se. I have a 2018 X4 with a 4” portal lift plus 814 shocks (which give you about an 1.5” lift) and the SuperATV forward a-arms. With all of that I still have some minor rubbing with my 33” tires in the rear and fronts at full turn. When I had the highlifter set up I could fit 28s but 30s was out of the question because of the rear space limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
If SuperATV makes the rear a-arms for the 2018 you might be able to put 30s on it. Portals are a good alternative to move up in tire sizes but they increase maintenance and change the characteristics of the machine quite a bit. The tie rods are wimpy and pretty inadequate with added portals. If you have questions feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1slo_CR and Paul65

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im going through the big tire nightmare on my pioneer 1000. Just snapped a demon axle and took out the tranny yesterday so I was looking at going to an x4. Our hunting terrain is not easy on machines but big clearance is a must up here in northern Alberta.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I fully understand. I hunt in muskeg and black spruce swamp areas of Alaska. My X4 and my buddies X2 are both on portals with 32-33” tires and 20+” of clearance. We started with 28-30” tires but wanted to venture further into our hunting area so we could get away from other folks. We can go just about anywhere except for the real deep water stuff since we have not snorkeled our machines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So portals are the answer. So you're a small percentage of people that understand the need for super low speed torque, high clearance and agressive tires. I'm glad I ran across you.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
So portals are the answer. So you're a small percentage of people that understand the need for super low speed torque, high clearance and agressive tires. I'm glad I ran across you.

You guys interested in this quest also need to consider that if you don’t use portals to accomplish the goal, your super low end torque will be significantly compromised with 30s.
I don’t recall if the X model comes with 26s or 27s but you’ll lose 4% of your gearing for every tire size you go up not including added weight of the tires. From 26 to 30s is a 16% loss. It won’t feel so low end torquey any more. So now enter the aftermarket sheave to help overcome the loss but that will still never be comparable to the reduction portals can give.
Im just saying to start listing the mods that go with it so your not dissatisfied after fitting 30s. It becomes larger than just a lift and A arms.
I fully understand the need and desire. I’m not knocking it.
I tinkered with my Gen 1 to no end once it started. Low end torque became an endless quest. Aftermarket sheave, then shims to gain even more which led to having to modify the CVT cover for belt clearance then a blower in the intake ductwork to manage the belt heat I created……. In the end portals don’t seem so expensive for all the endless headaches that can come with the quest.

Reactions: Ron505 and mvarner

·
Registered
Ohio - 2020 X2 XT-R
260 Posts
I understand Budro2. It's not happening anytime soon for me, because I know it's going to take a lot more than lift and tires, as you stated. It's kind of a long term goal for me, which could change between now and then.

·
Registered
2019 X2 RSpec SE
81 Posts
I have 30s on my X2 and have the SATV 1.5" frt arms, Elka springs and Hunterworks sheave. This still gives me great low end even in high range. The sheave is the key to making it work. I am running 18 gram weights in the HW clutch. Do not have the 20" of clearance like 33 and portals but 14" is still pretty good for no lift kit and it still handles great!

Attachments

Reactions: Ron505 and 1slo_CR

·
Registered
2019 X2 RSpec SE
81 Posts
They will hit when really flexed and turned. I cut mine back to the center , painted the ends and reinstalled the plugs. Tough to tell it was cut and I think it looked better.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2022 Rmax Sport
449 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts