Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or are all the damn intercom systems absolutely ridiculously overpriced? I mean, really 1K- 2K for a SXS intercom system? Do people seriously pay this for PCI or Rugged?

I really dont want a wired intercom, and I do not need 2 way radio. Anyone running a bluetooth setup with noise canceling? I run a Sena setup in my helmet in the winter, and I was considering running the Sena Tufftalk Lite, but they are still pretty pricey.

What are you guys running?

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,351 Posts
Nothing yet, but been looking at these. But with wireless you have charging to deal with, I almost think wired ones with an installed box to plug into would be better. Bluetooth, intercom, and noise reduction all in one. Don't really want anything over the head, in case I want to wear a hat or small helmet.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 XTR OEM Glass windshield UTV Enclosures soft cab
6 Posts
Thinking about going with tuftalk lites also. Think they will be more comfortable and cut out cvt noise better than the sph10.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
I was thinking about this myself last week. I pretty much came up with the Sena stuff being the best option. I know it would only be a matter of time before someone got out with a wired setup and ripped the wires out. My issue right now is figuring a way to pipe in my 2way and music at the same time. I would probably only use the headset for high speed stuff where I want to be able to talk with a passenger and have music without having to blast it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't fight it, the bike guys have figured this stuff out. Sena or Cardo.
Cardo does not seem to have over the ear type setups, helmet only it seems. I have a Sena system on my helmet, but I only use the helmet during the winter.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,661 Posts
What about this sort of one. We do use helmets here. Always !!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to follow up on this for those that are interested in the same issue later on down the road.

I bought the Sena Tuff-Talk Lite headsets. Had my first chance to use them this weekend. While pricey, they are in my opinion outstanding. They are a bit difficult to get them to pair the first time, but after that they work very well. They block about 20 db of noise and have noise cancelling mics. We rode for about 3 hours, and they were in no way heavy or put too much pressure on your head. I got mine off Amazon for about $219 each. I am quite happy with them.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
What about this sort of one. We do use helmets here. Always !!!

That would be great for helmets.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have a Sena unit in my full face helmet when I ride the VMAX, I have to basically crank it wide open to even hear it. In all honesty it could just be me, my ears aren't great and the VMAX is very loud..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Rugged Radio intercom and two-way radio with in-car VOX.. cut's out all noise and has Bluetooth for listening to music from your phone or other Bluetooth device.
You are 100% correct on the upfront cost, but after all that is done well worth having .

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I went with UTVComms. S4S box with behind the head earphones with boom mike. Vox mics, Bluetooth for music. We wear shorty helmets with the headphones. Good stuff. Not as pricey as Rugged Radios. Great customer service.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I run the Rugged radio wired with intercom in the helmet. The full face helmet helps reduce the noise level. Range is miles but also line of site so limited in the mountains. It is a great safety tool for group riding. If riders don’t have a radio, we put them in the middle of the group.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Our group is a bunch of goofballs and get lost all the time. We tried walkie talkies and they worked but we found out sometimes its funnier to lose one or two riders. It then becomes more of a hide and seek game. They know to keep up or else they'll have to find us. I'm with Dirt Road Warrior on this one. I see the benefit, especially for emergency purposes, but we survived before without them. If there was a cheap reliable option that was easy to use and mount with great coverage, then I'd be interested but the my thre requirements don't usually go with cheap. By cheap, I mean less that $50.

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
66 Posts
Our group is a bunch of goofballs and get lost all the time. We tried walkie talkies and they worked but we found out sometimes its funnier to lose one or two riders. It then becomes more of a hide and seek game. They know to keep up or else they'll have to find us. I'm with Dirt Road Warrior on this one. I see the benefit, especially for emergency purposes, but we survived before without them. If there was a cheap reliable option that was easy to use and mount with great coverage, then I'd be interested but the my thre requirements don't usually go with cheap. By cheap, I mean less that $50.
Like I said, I'm old school. I don't even own a cell phone, so... lol. I learned to walk out of the forest/desert.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts