On a serious note that was too close to home:

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 2 LE ..... 2021 X2 Rspec
74 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
What a surprise! Woke NASCAR won't allow LGB crypto coin sponsor.
Red flag for LGB sponsor
They claim they don't allow political sponsorships from the left or the right.
Wheel Tire Sky Hood Automotive tire

I stopped watching NASCAR when they started the "Chase" BS. Their skilled PR team decided to change a format that had worked for more than 50 years and was filling stadiums with numbers that rivaled the NFL. Now they can't even sellout Bristol that used to have a 2 year waiting list for tickets... "get woke, go broke". Bill France is turning in his grave. "Let's Go Brandon"

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
My job depends on nascar and I haven't watched in years.

·
Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
979 Posts
What's a nascar?

·
Registered
2021 Canned Ham Maverick Sport Max 1000r
704 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
I started following NASCAR when Earnhardt was in the #15 Wrangler car long before they had the network television coverage. Talladega and Daytona were the only races that were sure to be televised until ESPN picked up some of the more famous tracks and there was some pay per view. It was a big deal for us in those days, there wasn't a Sunday we didn't gather for racing if there was one on the TV.

We had a group of 18 that went to the June race in Michigan every year and usually at least one other event, sometimes two if funds were available. Back then there was real competition, the drivers weren't running spec cars and the rules didn't change each time a team found an edge. There were no restrictor plates and race speeds of 200 mph was the norm at the superspeedways. To stand at the fence and have 40+ cars go by at those speeds while being pelted by balls of rubber was quite the rush. In those days you could carry a cooler full of beer into the track and there were scantily dressed Winston cigarette babes at the gates handing out packs of 5 for the asking... we loved NASCAR!

Everything that made NASCAR fun has been changed for the worse, viewership and attendance clearly shows their policies are not working. And lately they jump on the woke-wagon only to alienate the fans even more. If they don't change, they will soon be less popular than Saturday night sprint car racing if they're not already.

·
Registered
199 Posts
...in those days you could carry a cooler full of beer into the track and there were scantily dressed Winston cigarette babes at the gates handing out packs of 5 for the asking... we loved NASCAR!....
LOL, when I was kid, we'd go to a festival on a Penn State Campus of all places. They'd give out Red Man chewing tobacco and cans of snuff. My friends and I would come home with a grocery bag full. We'd hide it in a tree house, use it, get sick, it was awesome!!!!! No one will ever have the life of a typical GenX'r. I feel bad for kids nowadays.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I left NASCAR when Dodge left. RIP...

Reactions: Rhinohio

·
Registered
481 Posts
This new format of “Stage” racing grinds my shorts. I don’t watch anymore either.

Reactions: Plunk

·
Registered
704 Posts
I started following NASCAR when Earnhardt was in the #15 Wrangler car long before they had the network television coverage. Talladega and Daytona were the only races that were sure to be televised until ESPN picked up some of the more famous tracks and there was some pay per view. It was a big deal for us in those days, there wasn't a Sunday we didn't gather for racing if there was one on the TV.

We had a group of 18 that went to the June race in Michigan every year and usually at least one other event, sometimes two if funds were available. Back then there was real competition, the drivers weren't running spec cars and the rules didn't change each time a team found an edge. There were no restrictor plates and race speeds of 200 mph was the norm at the superspeedways. To stand at the fence and have 40+ cars go by at those speeds while being pelted by balls of rubber was quite the rush. In those days you could carry a cooler full of beer into the track and there were scantily dressed Winston cigarette babes at the gates handing out packs of 5 for the asking... we loved NASCAR!

Everything that made NASCAR fun has been changed for the worse, viewership and attendance clearly shows their policies are not working. And lately they jump on the woke-wagon only to alienate the fans even more. If they don't change, they will soon be less popular than Saturday night sprint car racing if they're not already.
we did the same when i was growing up. Always had a family gathering to watch the daytona 500. everyone had their own driver they rooted for, and even though there was a bunch of us, no one had multiple people rooting for the same guy. My fav was rusty wallace.

my parents, aunts, and uncles always went to the august race at michigan. They went like 10 years in a row, and back then you couldn't get better tickets unless someone else didn't renew their tickets. They moved up throughout those years, and it only ended when my uncle didn't get the tickets one season and they lost their spot.

over the years all of the drivers who made NASCAR popular got old and retired, and we all slowly drifted away from it. We even had a local driver race in nascar and it was a super big deal (Johnny Benson). He didn't do much on the big stage but was still cool to see a guy from a small track in michigan to make it "to the big time".

·
Registered
49 Posts

Well said. I feel the same way. Never missed a race. Worked Ford Parts for 28 years and Motorcraft rep always had tickets for us. Atlanta, Talladega, Darlington, Daytona, Bristol any SE track we wanted to attend. Watched Swervin’ Ervin and Wild Bill. Run what’cha brung! I haven’t watched in years!

·
Registered
979 Posts
we did the same when i was growing up. Always had a family gathering to watch the daytona 500. everyone had their own driver they rooted for, and even though there was a bunch of us, no one had multiple people rooting for the same guy. My fav was rusty wallace.

my parents, aunts, and uncles always went to the august race at michigan. They went like 10 years in a row, and back then you couldn't get better tickets unless someone else didn't renew their tickets. They moved up throughout those years, and it only ended when my uncle didn't get the tickets one season and they lost their spot.

over the years all of the drivers who made NASCAR popular got old and retired, and we all slowly drifted away from it. We even had a local driver race in nascar and it was a super big deal (Johnny Benson). He didn't do much on the big stage but was still cool to see a guy from a small track in michigan to make it "to the big time".
I rooted for the MGD car. 🍻 🤪
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

When it was a Dodge.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Worked Ford Parts for 28 years and Motorcraft rep always had tickets for us.
Did you ever get into their hospitality tent? I got to do several from various sponsors over the years and they were awesome. In the early years the SWAG was incredible, jackets, hats, tee-shirts, beer huggies, you name it and everybody got them... Buick was the best. As with everything else, that kinda fizzled as time went on. Still, they always threw one hell of a party and the food was always top notch. Getting to meet the drivers was pretty cool but the bimbos, beer, food and stuff was the best part.

My BIL was a huge Ernie Irvan fan and we all busted his chops about it. He was very talented and colorful, it's a shame his career was cut short by injury.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Did you ever get into their hospitality tent? I got to do several from various sponsors over the years and they were awesome. In the early years the SWAG was incredible, jackets, hats, tee-shirts, beer huggies, you name it and everybody got them... Buick was the best. As with everything else, that kinda fizzled as time went on. Still, they always threw one hell of a party and the food was always top notch. Getting to meet the drivers was pretty cool but the bimbos, beer, food and stuff was the best part.

My BIL was a huge Ernie Irvan fan and we all busted his chops about it. He was very talented and colorful, it's a shame his career was cut short by injury.
still remember that crash and the season he was having. He had such a lead in points that no one was going to touch him if he hadn't had that wreck. If i remember correctly i think he still finished in the top 10 in points that season.

Reactions: Rhinohio

·
Registered
49 Posts

yup. Got to hang out in the tents free beer food and SWAG several times. It was like a family of friends sitting in the bleachers with other guys/girls from other dealerships. You talked on the phone all the time with these people so was fun to meet them in the Ford/Motocraft tents. Got to meet and greet with Denny Hamlin (courtesy of FEDEX) and Matt Kenseth (courtesy of R&L carriers) in my Lotus days. Good times. One race we managed to make it to the Hooters truck and watch the race from the infield. 😜 Get there early and wander thru the pits. Those were great times.

·
Registered
979 Posts
161 - 180 of 192 Posts