Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
557 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thoughts are......You should give them a try and come back with a product review.........you know.....for the good of the Wolvy community.
HAHA! I'm taking donations lol. They are actually the first I have found that said they fit the Wolverine. I really wanted to see if anyone had them already and what they thought.

Reactions: OzzyDave

·
Registered
57 Posts
Amazon says they don't fit the wolverine.
The "H4" should be controlled through a specification, probably through SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), an international standards originator/enforcer. The specs will control the socket interface and outline of the "bulb". It will also document the locations of the light sources such that the reflector and lens will properly project the beam out in front of the machine. When you get into LED chips as the light source(es) there is always the difficulty of the patches of light pointing out to the side do not emit all the way around the bulb as it does with a filament or HID bulb. So you are taking it on faith that the designer and manufacturer of the particular H4 LED that you are buying did a good job of optimizing the light pattern that is going to come out the front. There is a risk on the buyers part, even though the seller states that it works with a particular machine. In theory, the standards that should have been met should make the H4 format work in any machine designed to run H4 bulbs. I would expect that any mechanical fit problems would center around any rubber boots and the like fitting around the heat sink at the back of the bulb.

With these particular LED's I would be a bit concerned regarding the "jelly" that they use as a filter to alter the color ("temperature") of the bulb. Any filter means some loss in the light output and build-up of heat. It would be best to simply live with the color temperature of the "bare" LED as it is designed and made.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Does anyone have an led headlight setup they are actually running? I typed H4 led and none if which I found said it would fit the wolverine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Amazon says they don't fit the wolverine.
Just so that I am clear on this, do they say that those particular H4's do not work on a Wolverine? Or do they simply not list the Wolverine as part of a list of where the H4 does indeed work?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly lol. I didn't look on amazon but any of the ones I've seen don't list the wolverine as compatible. Most just show actual automobiles and no type of off road machines.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anyone know of any direct fit replacement bulbs? I already ordered an 18" LED bar for the bumper....just want to upgrade the damn dull ass headlights now.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
Anyone know of any direct fit replacement bulbs? I already ordered an 18" LED bar for the bumper....just want to upgrade the damn dull ass headlights now.
The problem with upgrading H4 halogens is heat. I don't know how much heat those plastic housings can handle. Yes you can put PIAA H4 bulbs in and they will be slightly brighter. But most people purchase HID kits that just pop in for better light while retaining the lower temperature and power requirements. I ended up replacing my whole light fixture with a self contained led fixture and lamp. Although, my HID's were okay.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The problem with upgrading H4 halogens is heat. I don't know how much heat those plastic housings can handle. Yes you can put PIAA H4 bulbs in and they will be slightly brighter. But most people purchase HID kits that just pop in for better light while retaining the lower temperature and power requirements. I ended up replacing my whole light fixture with a self contained led fixture and lamp. Although, my HID's were okay.
I suppose I'll look into HID's and your idea as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
From E-Bay, $32.00 fit in the lens assembly perfectly, because these are IP67 water resistant and have cooling fans on the back these are run without the round rubber boots to keep them cool. I did modify the outer rubber with small ventilation ports on the sides and drainage holes on the bottom just in case I'm going out in a really wet environment. But I doubt I will ever use them, you could take a hose to the back of them while installed and on and they would be fine.

Any 9003 h4 bulbs will work as far as fitting in the light assembly the only issues that arise will be the cooling bonnet/backside of the bulb, will it allow the stock spring to fit and retain the bulb in the socket and that you will have to modify the rubber boots on the backside or don't use them. I will basically be running without my boots. Now should the stock spring not fit or work to retain your bulb you can drill 3 small holes through the plastic out light assembly screwing 3 small screws through just long enough to reach each of the 3 tabs on the light bulb to hold it in. Which is what I did on my first bulb I install because I did not think the retaining spring would work. (can upload pic if requested) On the second bulb, I realized that I was wrong and that on this bulb the retaining spring would in fact work and I did not need to modify. So if you get a bulb that the retaining spring doesn't work their is an easy work around that is very simple.

The light difference you see in the garage photo does not even come close to showing how bright the difference really is on a night trail. I went with the 60 watts per bulb for more light. And the two bulbs total 10 amps pull at 12 volts the circuit is fused for 15 amps and has a 15 amp fuse that leaves you 5 amps for the backlights. I ran these on a 8 hour night ride without any issue. I found it more easy to work on by removing 3 easy screws and pull the light assembly out the front to work on but you don't have to.

DSCF0382.JPG DSCF0374.JPG

Reactions: Haggis

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: led lights
Quote Originally Posted by bolts, did it matter on the application? the make and model of the vehicle you picked? how are they doing?

No, it does not matter just get 9003 h4 bulbs that is the correct socket for the wolverine they will fit. Again the only issue's would if the the stock spring retainer holds or doesn't hold the bulb in place the bulb in place. And there is an easy fix for that should your LED bulb not allow the spring retainer to work. I'm using 60-watt bulbs and have 8 hours of night riding no problem yet. I run them without the rubber boots to make sure they don't overheat but I not sure that they would, just playing it safe since they are ip67 water resistant. Not worried about them being exposed to water. If their was lots of mud I would put the outer boot on, I have put vent holes in out rubber boot so it would still get air but keep almost all mud clear. I love these LED's, no more yellow, they really make a huge difference.

Of note the light with the screws holding it was before I realized that the spring would in fact work and that I did not need to do this.... I only bring this up in case you get another bulb and the spring won't work.

I will load 3 pics on the post since I could not do it in the msg reply,, just for reference.

Hope this helps.....

DSCF0433.JPG DSCF0379.JPG DSCF0374.JPG

·
September WOTM Winner!
248 Posts
Any h4 led will work. The issue is getting everything to fit in the cap. Either go fanless or find something with a small led driver. Personally I like the LEDs to have a fan, so I just kept looking online to find something that had a small driver. I think I'm running a Phillips set.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts