Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a base model 2020 X2 with 220 km (130 miles) and 20 hours total run time. I finally found some time to change all the oils (engine, diff. trans, etc.) and while I was under the machine I noticed oil covering all four corners of my suspension. Upon further inspection I realized all four shocks were leaking and they were leaking enough to have oil accumulate on some parts of the suspension. I have such low time on this machine, I couldn't believe that the shocks were all ready pooched. I'm not an aggressive driver and thought Yamaha would have better parts than this (reason why I dumped my Polaris) Has anyone else experience bad shocks? Any suggestions to what after market shock I just go with?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Everything on these X2s is cheap. I drive my hard and its constant wrenching to keep it trail ready :) But at least the Engine and CVT ( except the piss poor ducting ) is Good to go witch is the most important part.

Walker Evans or 814s would be the ticket.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Even if you plan to upgrade I would warranty them first. At least you would have some good shocks to sell.

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Registered
2019 x4, 28 in bighorns, Hunterworks sheeve kit, perfex 2in lift, 2in rear and 1 in front spacers
20 Posts
Hard to believe 4 brand new shocks failed at exactly the same time! I would clean them up and monitor for several more rides. Perhaps the seals haven't seated fully or there was some residual oil from the manufacturing process. Just a thought before you jump to changing all of them.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Makes me wonder if the shocks were coated with a cosmoline type material for shipping and dealer prep did not clean them sufficiently, If really bad agree with JRaoffroad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything on these X2s is cheap. I drive my hard and its constant wrenching to keep it trail ready :) But at least the Engine and CVT ( except the piss poor ducting ) is Good to go witch is the most important part.

Walker Evans or 814s would be the ticket.
Any thoughts on Bandit shocks (stage 2 pro-steel)

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Many rebuild shocks.
I have buddies that race ATVs / Dirt bikes and they have them re-valved & re-sprung to fit their needs.
Even if they buy a new one, it gets sent to the shop to get built to their specs.
I don't recall any forum members doing it, but that doesn't mean it's not a option to consider, however I probably wouldn't bother with the base shocks.

They have told me several times that I should take mine to a shop and talk to them. They'd rebuild them to fit my needs.

Reactions: atkbike
1 - 8 of 8 Posts