Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have gotten frustrated driving at night and not being able to see the drive and headlight selector switches. I saw some other posts about painting the lettering (plan on doing that soon) but I want a little something more. I came up with this and would like some additional input or suggestions from others before I alter the plastic.

**This is all just mock-up at this point**
I had these 5mm leds from another project that I bought on Amazon.
20190523_202102.jpg

Popped out the switch and put the tiny wire through and put the switch back loosely.
20190523_202035.jpg

For a permanent solution, taking a little sliver out of the plastic would work. You can partially see the factory notch for the switch before I unscrewed the nut.
Inked20190523_201957x_LI.jpg

Reinstalled the knob but the light wasn't enough so I took some metallic foil tape and lined the inside of the knob.
20190523_202219.jpg

20190523_201711.jpg
20190523_203814.jpg

Final thought is to notch the knob to put a little bump of light towards the lettering or drill a tiny hole at the end of the white line on the knob to show what is selected.
Dark pictures aren't that great but thoughts?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Great idea, looks like a notch in the direction of the indicator would be awesome! I used a red painted 12v led license plate light mounted on the column on mine,and have a goose neck light with red filter that can swing out over the gear shift.

IMG_20181021_192324.jpg

Reactions: BaneBadger

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great idea, looks like a notch in the direction of the indicator would be awesome! I used a red painted 12v led license plate light mounted on the column on mine,and have a goose neck light with red filter that can swing out over the gear shift.

View attachment 75676
I think I'll give a notch on the knob and see. Looked at partzilla and a replacement knob is $5 if I don't like it haha. I like that setup too, do you have a picture without the flash? Just wondering how birght. I haven't even thought of the center console area yet, where'd you get that light?

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
BaneBadger, Looks great, good idea. I like the idea of the hole at the end of the indicator line on the knob, maybe something like a 1/32" and then go bigger if that wasn't enough. The hole probably would hardly be visible in the black plastic during the day but at night the light would definitely come through it. If the led light got to the point of being to bright you could always wrap some opaque adhesive tape around the bulb.

Can you give us the link to where you bought the bulbs, so those that want to can get the exact same ones? I'm sure your idea will get copied several times, just to easy to do and gives a "neat" look.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think I'll give a notch on the knob and see. Looked at partzilla and a replacement knob is $5 if I don't like it haha. I like that setup too, do you have a picture without the flash? Just wondering how birght. I haven't even thought of the center console area yet, where'd you get that light?
No pics without the flash, but the lights are all a nice mellow red, they make a translucent red taillight paint I used on the lic. plate light, and also masked and painted black on it except for about a 1/4 " slit, and the goose neck is an old federal signal map light that has a sliding ( white or red light) lens cover out of one of my old cop cars. Both lights are on the one blue switch, and the map light has a rheostat on it for dimming or brightening. Info on the map light below...the newer ones also come in LED, but a little spendy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Littli...178652?hash=item362c1aa8dc:g:t3wAAOSwXsFah1tK

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BaneBadger, Looks great, good idea. I like the idea of the hole at the end of the indicator line on the knob, maybe something like a 1/32" and then go bigger if that wasn't enough. The hole probably would hardly be visible in the black plastic during the day but at night the light would definitely come through it. If the led light got to the point of being to bright you could always wrap some opaque adhesive tape around the bulb.

Can you give us the link to where you bought the bulbs, so those that want to can get the exact same ones? I'm sure your idea will get copied several times, just to easy to do and gives a "neat" look.
PapaSkeeta, Sorry for the delayed response. Between the holiday, volunteering, and honoring my brothers I was going nonstop...

Thanks for the recommendation! I think I'm going to try both the notch and the hole and see which one I like the best. I got to go for a quick night ride last night and they were perfect. Not too bright and not too dim. I definitely would like to know which direction the knob was pointed though haha.

I bought them from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAHYUBD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 **don't expect the black wire to be neg, mine were flopped. Test before crimping**
-You can buy just the color you need but I used the green and blue for something else... also not bad to keep around for other uses!
I plan to use 2 more for floor lights, another post to come. They will be installed with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y274N91/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll post pics when I test out the knobs.

Reactions: PapaSkeeta

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No pics without the flash, but the lights are all a nice mellow red, they make a translucent red taillight paint I used on the lic. plate light, and also masked and painted black on it except for about a 1/4 " slit, and the goose neck is an old federal signal map light that has a sliding ( white or red light) lens cover out of one of my old cop cars. Both lights are on the one blue switch, and the map light has a rheostat on it for dimming or brightening. Info on the map light below...the newer ones also come in LED, but a little spendy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Littli...178652?hash=item362c1aa8dc:g:t3wAAOSwXsFah1tK
Nice, I had something similar in a Military vehicle now that I think about it. I came across this while searching map lights but not sure how secure it would stay...
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-CIG-LIGHT-8

Reactions: UPNORTH

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Part 1: drilled hole test using 1/16 bit
Sun is still up so using moving blankets to darken

20190529_191153.jpg
20190529_191141.jpg
Not sure why those 2 rotated...
20190529_192005x.jpg

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
I would put a dab of clear silicone or glue in the hole to keep it from filling with dirt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would put a dab of clear silicone or glue in the hole to keep it from filling with dirt.
I like that idea! I will do that after I bump up the hole size a little to 5/64

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good, with the letters painted white they ill stand out good too.
I somehow ordered the wrong paint, correct should arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did both with the drilled hole filled with clear silicone. Used the 5/64 bit. Decided not to do the notch... I made a test knob out of cardboard and didn't like the way it looked.
20190530_183801x.jpg
20190530_184027x.jpg
Paint pen should be in tonight and will post pics after

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With letters painted. Used silver metallic instead of white
20190531_205441x.jpg
20190531_205356xx.jpg

·
Registered
843 Posts
Looks good, I would have went green or blue, red is hard on the eyes at night. But none the less it does look pretty good and seems like a great idea.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think that look great, nice work!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks good, I would have went green or blue, red is hard on the eyes at night. But none the less it does look pretty good and seems like a great idea.
I've heard of the shift to green and blue from red but my eyes are accustomed to it after the military. :laugh2:

I have been on a few night rides now and I have to say that this was welcomed upgrade. Hope this helps others

20190601_210047.jpg

Reactions: Greggo

·
Registered
734 Posts
Looks great, I've used red for the last 25 years, at work and play to, no need to change now. Helps that mine are on rheostats as well, easy to dial them in as needed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Guys what type of paint pens did you use on the emblems? Also still happy with the design . Thinking I am going to follow suit on this mod. :bandit:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts