Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unhappy with the springs in my 2020 X2 R-Spec (Canadian model), I am trying to get either the Eibach springs from JBS or replace the factory KYP shocks with Elka 4-stage. I am waiting for JBS to reply re availability but in the meantime am checking the Elka's. The problem is that Elka makes shocks for the 2019 but not the 2020 and neither Elka or Yamaha dealer can confirm that they will fit and they are not returnable once ordered. The part #'s are different but that could just be a different supplier from 2019 to 2020?

Any chance any of you know if there is a difference in mounts or lengths, etc. between the 2 years?

Any help would be much appreciated.

John

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I don't recall any changes in shocks, but I did hear the XTR models had a spring change that was suppose to be a improvement from the 18-19' MY's.
Just a rumor as far as I know.

Have you tried adjusting the settings? One Thread
There is also the option of having a Shop re-valve/spring the KYBs if one is close by.

Another item to give a look at is air pressure in your tires. I've also noticed that some tires construction offers a softer ride vs. others.
Guys I ride with run higher pressures on the road to the trails, but when we stop at the trail head they drop the pressure way down.
They say if they don't that it's like riding on cement blocks. Interesting as they mostly all have the 3-clicker Fox shocks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't recall any changes in shocks, but I did hear the XTR models had a spring change that was suppose to be a improvement from the 18-19' MY's.
Just a rumor as far as I know.

Have you tried adjusting the settings? One Thread
There is also the option of having a Shop re-valve/spring the KYBs if one is close by.

Another item to give a look at is air pressure in your tires. I've also noticed that some tires construction offers a softer ride vs. others.
Guys I ride with run higher pressures on the road to the trails, but when we stop at the trail head they drop the pressure way down.
They say if they don't that it's like riding on cement blocks. Interesting as they mostly all have the 3-clicker Fox shocks.
My main reason for wanting to change the springs is that the top 5 coils are completely compressed on all 4 shocks make the ride hard and lowering my clearance: I've adjusted the preload down to compensate for the spare tire, carrier and rear shelf I installed (probably 150+ lbs.). I also set the rebounds almost as soft as they go. I run tire pressure at 12 and 15. Most of our trails are rocks or gravel.

I also noticed that the Elka shocks are for 2015 - 2018 models so if there's a mount change it would be in 2019. As for customizing the KYB's, there aren't any custom shops within 1000 miles, LOL!

Thanks for your help.

John

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Full soft on the Rear Rebound will cause a harsher ride as speeds increase and make the backend buck on humps or jumps.
If I recall, the KYB springs are progressive, meaning the coil length changes.

I know what you mean though. A couple of Polaris General guys I was riding with commented about my springs being that way.
When I bounced their machine compared to mine, mine was way way softer and their clicker was set to full soft.
I had them try and they couldn't believe it.
I was going to ask them to swap machines for a test ride to the next break area, but I didn't know them well enough.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suspect I may have to order a set of Walker Evans as they have a set available..............

John

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Reactions: Paul65 and DILLIGAF

·
Registered
658 Posts
Dude im in Canada and have springs for sale. JBS Eibach spring's

Just under half price over new. And will give you a better deal depending where I need to ship them.

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude im in Canada and have springs for sale. JBS Eibach spring's

Just under half price over new. And will give you a better deal depending where I need to ship them.

Cheers
I'm in Nova Scotia. Were you not satisfied with them?

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll take them. How do we proceed on this forum?

John

·
Registered
658 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts