Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
321 - 340 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I believe others posted about adjusting the parking brake as its a pain, someone lost skin and bled doing it. Let the dealer reset it if its a suspect. I would knowing what others have said.
Ha that was me as the cable didn't have anymore adjustment and I adjusted the pads while the caliper was on the machine.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,937 Posts
Ha that was me as the cable didn't have anymore adjustment and I adjusted the pads while the caliper was on the machine.
Well you're then the first authority on whether he should or shouldn't attempt it himself. As its really new the dealer is obligated to take on any adjustments without a fuse. I'll leave this now as it addressed accordingly.

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Rmax4 1000 R spec
32 Posts
you have a picture of this "repair" or have you dealt with it? My 2022 rmax4 has had it since day one. Exactly as all describe ( only when warm and above 20 MPH with no change in pitch or frequency based on rpm/load/turning/4wd etc.). Just dropped it off for a loose front u joint under warranty so I will see what they say.
Thanks
Well, picking my machine up today, and after talking to the techs they said it is a common "noise" on those machines and is not a failure condition. There is no fix for it according to them. Wish it was something stupid to help quiet it down. Wont stop me from enjoying my machine for sure! Anything changes or I find a true fix for it I will update. In the mean time RIDE SAFE!
Plant Tire Sky Car Wheel

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 2 XT-R
647 Posts
Well, picking my machine up today, and after talking to the techs they said it is a common "noise" on those machines and is not a failure condition. There is no fix for it according to them. Wish it was something stupid to help quiet it down. Wont stop me from enjoying my machine for sure! Anything changes or I find a true fix for it I will update. In the mean time RIDE SAFE! View attachment 102692
That’s one cool picture!

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,937 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wrap the metal coolant hose from up under the brake reservoir forward to under the cowling and the great , mystery noise will be gone..
FYI...I gave this a shot and it didn't work for me. I could see how this area could produce a rattle, but it wasn't the source of my noise. My parking brake is way out of spec so dealer is going to adjust it for me. If that's not it, then I'm out of ideas. Really wish I wasn't dealing with this on my brand new machine.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 2 XT-R
647 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you buy a polaris make sure you get fire coverage.
Whatever it takes to get away from the noise this machine makes is worth it. I guess if the Polaris burns up it’s covered by insurance or warranty. Nothing covers this damn noise. 300 dollar noise canceling ear muffs don’t keep it out, but Yamaha says that not a problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just got two recalls on my machine too. One for an O2 sensor wiring issue and another for a possible miss placed bolt putting a hole in the gas tank. That sounds like a fire waiting to happen. I personally know 10-15 people with Polaris machines who have nothing but good luck. I only know one other person with an rmax. His also makes the noise and he’s trading it in for a different brand. My dealer told me outta the shipment of 9 machines that mine came in on, 6 customers have the same noise issue. Time to change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got two recalls on my machine too. One for an O2 sensor wiring issue and another for a possible miss placed bolt putting a hole in the gas tank. That sounds like a fire waiting to happen. I personally know 10-15 people with Polaris machines who have nothing but good luck. I only know one other person with an rmax. His also makes the noise and he’s trading it in for a different brand. My dealer told me outta the shipment of 9 machines that mine came in on, 6 customers have the same noise issue. Time to change.

What amazes me is not only are they not addressing the issue, Yamaha also continues to produce new machines with the same defect. My Polaris had issues, but they were always fixed.

·
Registered
2021 x4 850 XT-R
2 Posts
Hello everyone, I own an RMAX. I would like to know if you have a knocking noise while driving, in the front section. The noise is especially present at mid-speed, between 55 km / h and 80 km / h. It makes a knocking noise, as if two pieces are banging together, it makes “CLOC CLOC”. No need to drive on a rough road, the noise is also present on an asphalt road. Whether I'm in 2WD or 4WD, it doesn't make a difference. It's not the winch tie either, because I put a rubber tip. These aren't the heat sheids either, because there aren't any in the front section, only in the back section. The noise has been present since my first test drive. For example, I can drive at a constant speed, 60 km / h, and the noise is continuous. Did anyone experience this same problem and did you find a way to fix it? Also, often, while driving at a constant speed, around 70 km / h, I feel a rumble in the transmission.
Thank You
Alex

·
Registered
2021 x4 850 XT-R
2 Posts
Hello everyone, I own an RMAX. I would like to know if you have a knocking noise while driving, in the front section. The noise is especially present at mid-speed, between 55 km / h and 80 km / h. It makes a knocking noise, as if two pieces are banging together, it makes “CLOC CLOC”. No need to drive on a rough road, the noise is also present on an asphalt road. Whether I'm in 2WD or 4WD, it doesn't make a difference. It's not the winch tie either, because I put a rubber tip. These aren't the heat sheids either, because there aren't any in the front section, only in the back section. The noise has been present since my first test drive. For example, I can drive at a constant speed, 60 km / h, and the noise is continuous. Did anyone experience this same problem and did you find a way to fix it? Also, often, while driving at a constant speed, around 70 km / h, I feel a rumble in the transmission.
Thank You
Alex
I have the exact same Issue on my 2021 x4 850. At 500 miles it seems worse than when I first noticed it. Definitely not any heat shield or hoses. This is mechanical in the transmission. Ugly clanking or knocking above 30 mph and when above 180 degrees operating temp. After reading about it all over the internet I Contacted my dealer and they basically laughed and said don’t bother bringing it in. It’s happening to 80 percent of the rmax and Wolverines. They know exactly what I’m talking about and so does Yamaha. They told me to contact Yamaha customer relations and press 0. Tell them my machine is making the transmission noise and I need a case number. So I did just that. Super quick and easy. They acknowledge the problem with these machines and they will notify anyone with a case number with solution/recall info when anything is settled. Just letting everyone know you can go directly to Yamaha with this. No need to drag it to your dealership and deal with all that mess. All you need is your vin number. They assured me there are no known failures resulting from this condition and if my transmission fails it will be covered. Good luck. Get some good Bluetooth earbuds and rock on

321 - 340 of 360 Posts