Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
301 - 320 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
21 rmax 2 seater, same annoying noise as of day one. I have been a loyal Yamaha customer for many years(snowmobiles ,atv's,side by sides) I am really disgusted with the lack of attention from Yamaha corporate on this issue. I bought a Yamaha product expecting better. This vehicle is a winner in my opinion except for this issue that many people are having. Do the words class action lawsuit have to be mentioned to fix this issue ????? If they don't want to fix it I want my money back so I can purchase something else!
RMAX is still quieter than a Rhino since you've owned previous Yamaha SXSs. X4 or X2 are probably the quietest but they don't compare to a RMAX (I never had a Gen 1 Wolverine so I can't compare to it). Go drive any other brand and then come back and tell us you don't think those machines are rattle traps sounding like they are going to fall apart (they won't). I agree the noises are annoying for the price we pay but they are toys. Heck I've been in some newer jeeps that sound worse on the trails.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am a former vehicle technician by trade and I have owned, worked on and driven many other brands including my first side by side a(POS) 800 Polaris Rzr. Yes they all have noises but not like this one. At this point it makes it not appealing to a potential buyer on a test drive. No it is not the park brake as I removed the assembly and the rattle is still present. If it was an easy fix someone would have found it by now. I suspect now that is internal to the transmission. I guess my point is Yamaha has had plenty of time to fix this issue, or at least let their customers know what the issue is and how they are going to fix it(recall). We should not be the ones trying to find the noise on a new vehicle that has warranty. Don't get me wrong, this is a great machine and I want to keep it. For those of you that don't have the rattle can by your feet, that's great. I am one of the unfortunate ones that do. It is frustrating to pay all that money for a toy that sounds like this. Let's hope Yamaha pays attention as I cannot recommend this product to potential buyers until this issue is fixed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Buddies have Pioneers, RZR's and Generals. My Rmax is by far a better machine, better quality and doesn't have the number of noises or mechanical issues they have. Pioneer's are pretty strong though from what I've seen just a different application.

But mine has this click clack. Until something breaks on it, it's pretty freaking minor compared to the other machine issues. Annoying, I just don't focus on it.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Pioneer's are pretty strong though from what I've seen just a different application.
They are, and my buddy's pretty much does everything me and my brother's RZR S do. The Pioneer even out does our other buddy's RZR Turbo S but that is because that driver sucks. Hopefully, he sells the Turbo soon and gets a KRK (he won't buy Yamaha because he'd die before admitting I was right even though I suggested a KRX and he said they sucked when I did).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello everyone, I own an RMAX. I would like to know if you have a knocking noise while driving, in the front section. The noise is especially present at mid-speed, between 55 km / h and 80 km / h. It makes a knocking noise, as if two pieces are banging together, it makes “CLOC CLOC”. No need to drive on a rough road, the noise is also present on an asphalt road. Whether I'm in 2WD or 4WD, it doesn't make a difference. It's not the winch tie either, because I put a rubber tip. These aren't the heat sheids either, because there aren't any in the front section, only in the back section. The noise has been present since my first test drive. For example, I can drive at a constant speed, 60 km / h, and the noise is continuous. Did anyone experience this same problem and did you find a way to fix it? Also, often, while driving at a constant speed, around 70 km / h, I feel a rumble in the transmission.
Thank You
Alex
I have the same noise. I only have 470 miles on mine, still under warranty. Would like to find out what the noise is before my warranty runs out. I begin hearing the noise at about 25 mph.
To me, it sounds like a bottle cap rattling around on the skid plate.It is very annoying. I wished somebody had an answer for this.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,937 Posts
A ton of posts on it and other noises Dealers should have the answers by now. I doubt anyone else has as most are speculation and don't pan out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello everyone, I own an RMAX. I would like to know if you have a knocking noise while driving, in the front section. The noise is especially present at mid-speed, between 55 km / h and 80 km / h. It makes a knocking noise, as if two pieces are banging together, it makes “CLOC CLOC”. No need to drive on a rough road, the noise is also present on an asphalt road. Whether I'm in 2WD or 4WD, it doesn't make a difference. It's not the winch tie either, because I put a rubber tip. These aren't the heat sheids either, because there aren't any in the front section, only in the back section. The noise has been present since my first test drive. For example, I can drive at a constant speed, 60 km / h, and the noise is continuous. Did anyone experience this same problem and did you find a way to fix it? Also, often, while driving at a constant speed, around 70 km / h, I feel a rumble in the transmission.
Thank You
Alex
Yes! Starts around 30 mph.
Has anyone found the answer what is causing it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the same noise. I only have 470 miles on mine, still under warranty. Would like to find out what the noise is before my warranty runs out. I begin hearing the noise at about 25 mph.
To me, it sounds like a bottle cap rattling around on the skid plate.It is very annoying. I wished somebody had an answer for this.
Please someone, I have to know where the noise is coming from. Mine starts at about 30 mph.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 2 XT-R
647 Posts
Just put some ear plugs in and be done with it…lol.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,693 Posts
Exactly, good christ, it's a machine, they make noise. None of them are quiet, sample them all, they ALL make different noises. The important part is, which ones break and don't last, and which ones rarely break and out perform the others.

Find the noises if you can, if they are external, and fix them, if they are internal, have your dealer note them for any future problems and see if they have any ideas. In a perfect world they would be perfect machines. As we are all finding out, it is not a perfect world, were lucky lately if anything works as it should, or will even continue to work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I put about 80 miles on mine this weekend in the NLP of Michigan. Trails were a mix of Ice, snow and mud. Just two sxs's, my rmax and a Polaris general. I lead in the Rmax and the General owner was surprised at how my suspension ate of the ruts and whoops, breaking through ice, mud holes, where he had to slow down and navigate the trail to avoid a lot of that. He said he was getting beat up pretty good. Generally I felt pretty good and largely unaffected by the nasty trails were rode.

It was a great time and the 2nd trip like that I've been on with the Rmax and it really surprises me each time.

Yeah I heard the knocking noise from time to time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have it too. Had my RMAX 4
For about a month. Has done it from day one. Does not do it when it’s cold which is weird… Does it when it warms up between about 27 mph and about 44 mph, then seems to go away. Almost sounds like something is banging into the skid pan near the right front, but I have checked everything I could reach, nothing loose nothing moving. I turned wrenches on cars for many years So I’m pretty familiar with sounds that are trouble, but this has me baffled. It does not seem to change in tone or volume, doesn’t matter whether I am turning, or In two wheel, four-wheel. I just crossed the 20 hour mark so I changed all my fluids, noise still there. Annoying as hell! If the engine was upfront, I would suspect an exhaust leak because it kind of sounds like that, but there’s no exhaust up in the right front so scratch that one. I’ll take it back to the dealer in a few days and see what they have to say about it. They are pretty reputable, but being a brand new 2021 vehicle was not that many around down here in Yuma, they may not have encountered it yet. Does not seem to affect the drive ability, not getting any better or worse… Quite the mystery
Yep, I have a 2021 RMAX SE and it is annoting.
So I went out and bought a 2022 RMAX Sport and I was pissed to find out that it is doing the same thing.
I want to find out what it is.
I don't think it is internal trans issue, although thats where it sounds like the noise is coming from.
Somebody will figure it out and post the fix

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Rmax4 1000 R spec
32 Posts
Wrap the metal coolant hose from up under the brake reservoir forward to under the cowling and the great , mystery noise will be gone..
you have a picture of this "repair" or have you dealt with it? My 2022 rmax4 has had it since day one. Exactly as all describe ( only when warm and above 20 MPH with no change in pitch or frequency based on rpm/load/turning/4wd etc.). Just dropped it off for a loose front u joint under warranty so I will see what they say.
Thanks

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha RMAX2 Sport
1 Posts
Just picked up a new 2022 sport this week (just got delivered on 5/6) and it has been making this driveline noise since mile one. Brought it out to my buddies place to drive it the first time and we both noticed it right away. Sounds center front of the machine and only 25mph+. Odd thing is its random, after reading all 16 pages it sounds like they all do it. Debating if I should call the dealer or not. Really do not want to trailer it back an hour to the dealer to just be told its nothing... Definitely getting the 4 year warranty now... Only ever owned Yamaha and this is not a "normal" powersports sound, reassuring for a 26K machine.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Not all have it, I don't and mine was one of the first builds. Check your parking brake. You shouldn't really be able to pull it past 3 clicks. Also it was mentioned the coolant hose may need some insulation on it.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,937 Posts
Not all have it, I don't and mine was one of the first builds. Check your parking brake. You shouldn't really be able to pull it past 3 clicks. Also it was mentioned the coolant hose may need some insulation on it.
I believe others posted about adjusting the parking brake as its a pain, someone lost skin and bled doing it. Let the dealer reset it if its a suspect. I would knowing what others have said.

301 - 320 of 360 Posts