Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
221 - 240 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,540 Posts
I have spent the last two weeks riding in all sorts of temps and terrain. My noise is similar, however in my case I really believe it is something loose hitting something else. It is definitely frequency related. There are points in the rpms where it stops and points where it starts again. I think I did about 500 miles and it ran amazingly well. I have no concerns that it is a failure waiting to happen. I will be tearing her down next month to service cvt and will be looking for a cause at that point. Like in the video it sounds like it's coming from in front of the engine under the console.
I agree. If ALL these machines had internal or trans issues with these noises, there would be MANY MORE failures I believe. What I don't understand is why Yamaha hasn't figured this out, I am sure they are aware of it and they are not dumb, they must know they are taking a big hit with their reputation because of these issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m not saying this noise means a failure is in the near future, that will probably never happen and to be honest I think it would have already happened in my case. 650 miles and the noise has been there since the first ride. I’m just saying the noise shouldn’t be there at all because not all machines have it so there’s gotta be a way to stop it by adjusting something. If this is a normal noise then I’ll trade mine in on an abnormal non noise model.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 2 LE
78 Posts
Don’t anyone take this wrong but let’s be realistic about the speculation factor in all this. It could well be that something mechanical is at play, however, had the transmission failure never been present in the first place this speculation wouldn’t be on the same level. We have lots of people talking about noises but very few of these machines have had a mechanical failure yet. Almost all of the ones that have had a failure have been extremely low miles. Many people with noises are reporting that they have less noise as they have racked up more miles. Some that have had the knocking noise have resolved it themselves and found it to not be an internal issue while others don’t seem to be able to track it down. This alone makes me question it being an internal mechanical issue. We ve all heard the phrase, let it develop. Well a lot of machines are making a noise and so far it hasn’t really developed!

An opinion from someone at a dealer on the matter is no different than an opinion from someone fired up on this forum. It’s literally just more speculation until we actually have facts or different people repeating the same thing to cure it and getting consistent results. Early on in the 4wd vibration thread we had someone post what sounded like concrete evidence from his service manager that the 4wd vibration and transmission failure were directly related. That got my attention because I had vibration just like everyone with an x model did before the r max, and guess what, after a bunch of hype and drama we never heard about the 2 being correlated again. Furthermore we don’t hear anything about front diffs coming apart or drive lines either. 4wd vibration was a hot topic for a bit and I was part of it and I was concerned but it’s been forgotten again just like it was with the model before. We all have concerns about such things and I’ll admit, I’m not writing it off as nothing but I’m still pretty sure this is not internal and a year from now we won’t have machines coming apart inside anymore than now.
I understand and sympathize with the frustration of the money spent and to have something annoying to own. Most want it to be right and it’s new and many don’t want to have to work on it and fix it themselves. Google problems on any car, truck, utv ever made and you will find a list of issues that go with it. I’m currently researching used SUVs for my daughter and it’s hard after reading reviews or problems on everything ever built to have enough faith to pull the trigger on anything out there and feel good about it.

The 4 year yes warranty can be bought for 850-900 dollars. I bought it simply because it’s a first model year. I’m going to run mine till it breaks and I’ll probably sell it and upgrade before the warranty is up. I’ll be surprised if it does break.
I just purchased the warranty from Babbitt's in Muskegon Michigan for $900 for four years. At first the sales guy wanted $1300 but I told him the $ 850 prices that are available from this forum, and he said he wouldn't be making much money but he could do $900. I did it all over the phone but if I ever need to get my machine fixed at a Yamaha shop that will be the place I go because it's close by to where I ride. I hate extended warranties but figure it's a toy, and I kind of beat up on my toys, and if I decide to sell it can transfer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well add me to the list.. Brought the machine home Friday (2021 850 XTR). Drove 7 hours each way to pick it up. Discovered the noise yesterday while driving it around the block a few times. Figured Id just open up the center console tomorrow and find something hitting in there, doesn't seem like that's what ill find..

BTW, the heat shields are completely different between the Rmax and the regular Wolverine. The X2 also doesn't have the foil on top.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I think your on to it!

Reactions: Ultratec

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Jack up your front and spin the passenger tire in 2WD. Go about 10 forward and then go backwards. Any binding? Working on a theory here. More to come if anyone else has a binding issue.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I think it could be back lash from the belt. I notice the noise more when I let out of the throttle or just cruising on the road. Off road I hardly notice the noise. 200 miles on my rmax 4 i have noticed it from day 1. So we will see how it goes
Hello everyone, I own an RMAX. I would like to know if you have a knocking noise while driving, in the front section. The noise is especially present at mid-speed, between 55 km / h and 80 km / h. It makes a knocking noise, as if two pieces are banging together, it makes “CLOC CLOC”. No need to drive on a rough road, the noise is also present on an asphalt road. Whether I'm in 2WD or 4WD, it doesn't make a difference. It's not the winch tie either, because I put a rubber tip. These aren't the heat sheids either, because there aren't any in the front section, only in the back section. The noise has been present since my first test drive. For example, I can drive at a constant speed, 60 km / h, and the noise is continuous. Did anyone experience this same problem and did you find a way to fix it? Also, often, while driving at a constant speed, around 70 km / h, I feel a rumble in the transmission.
Thank You
Alex
THE MYSTERY CONTINUES. If youve read my posts on the matter, I thought Id solved it with heavier 75/140 gear oil….nope. While it seemed to eliminate it for a while, I think it was just wishful thinking. It was back after about a week(or it was always there). Anyway, Ive had the machine in all kinds of terrain, speeds, gears, lockers and temps, for 2500 miles now with no drivability issues so im just living with it. Still totally random. Im thinkin if it was something that was going to fail, it would have raised its ugly head by now. Love the machine otherwise

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Wolverine X4 XTR
165 Posts
Blah, just noticed mine doing the same thing around 30mph speeds. At first I thought it was the door rattling so started yelling at the wifey to close her door all the way, wasn't it and I've been able to replicate it many times now up our old country road.

I suppose its probably not even worth dropping off at the dealer over (I have a 4yr ext warranty).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally got a fix for the exact noise y’all have been talking about. I received my Rmax 4 LE about 6 weeks ago, had it for one evening, my girlfriend and I heard the random clanking noise as soon as it warmed up, could hear it over the radio. I was pissed, paying that much for a brand new Rmax along with the 4 month wait. I loaded it right back up on the trailer and returned it to the Velocity Powersports in Victoria Texas(great dealership). Long story short it’s the freakin transmission, Yamaha worked closely with Velocity’s master mechanic Alfonzo(shout out to him) and finally nailed it down after much trail and error. Yamaha sent a brand new transmission and had them send the original back to Yamaha to inspect it. I received the Rmax back yesterday and had rode for a few hours and NO noise at all. Alfonzo had both the transmissions side by side on the bench, spun the output shafts and could hear the difference. We won’t know the specific component that is causing the noise until Yamaha contacts us. Yamaha threw in an additional free 4 year warranty for customer satisfaction. Sorry for the bad news guys, wish it was something simpler

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,155 Posts
Well done Justin L, thats what most should do. Take it back for resolution.

Happy Riding!!

Reactions: Hahny

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine has been in the shop for over a month with rear cvs on backordered. And my transmission makes the noise ill never own a yamaha again .

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 2 XT-R
364 Posts
Finally got a fix for the exact noise y’all have been talking about. I received my Rmax 4 LE about 6 weeks ago, had it for one evening, my girlfriend and I heard the random clanking noise as soon as it warmed up, could hear it over the radio. I was pissed, paying that much for a brand new Rmax along with the 4 month wait. I loaded it right back up on the trailer and returned it to the Velocity Powersports in Victoria Texas(great dealership). Long story short it’s the freakin transmission, Yamaha worked closely with Velocity’s master mechanic Alfonzo(shout out to him) and finally nailed it down after much trail and error. Yamaha sent a brand new transmission and had them send the original back to Yamaha to inspect it. I received the Rmax back yesterday and had rode for a few hours and NO noise at all. Alfonzo had both the transmissions side by side on the bench, spun the output shafts and could hear the difference. We won’t know the specific component that is causing the noise until Yamaha contacts us. Yamaha threw in an additional free 4 year warranty for customer satisfaction. Sorry for the bad news guys, wish it was something simpler
I want a new tranny put in mine, along with a free 4 year warranty if that's the case. Thank you for sharing your story.

Reactions: Tripplec

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 4LE
47 Posts
This is the noise / issue that caused me to sell my 4LE. I put a complaint into my dealer and Yamaha said as long as performance wasn't hindered there was nothing that can be done. I waited 9 months to take delivery and being disappointed was an understatement. I now own a nice fishing boat, a 2004 660 Grizzly and 2010 700 Grizzly and still have $4K in the bank. I really wanted to like the Rmax, but this noise made me hate it and there is nothing else on the sxs market that interested me, so back to atvs and floating on the water for now.

Now that I hear it may take a new tranny to cure it; tells me Yamaha is finally waking up to the owner's complaints. I hope all of you have a favorable outcome.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,155 Posts
Waking up I don't know about that. So many got the cold shoulder on that issue. Only one brave sole took the machine right back. That likely prompted the result. They been putting these problem tranny's in way too many machines for way too long. Its a know problem and could be checked, inspected I am sure before mounting them in the machines as is. Other owner should copy the section printing it and having their dealers or another address it once and for all getting them to replace their transmissions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glad I bought the 4 yr warranty because Yamaha would never issue a recall that's that expensive and replace a tranny for all these machines that have the issue not to mention they don't have enough surplus tranny's to even consider a recall.

Food for thought... For you guys that didn't buy a warranty now might be the time. Other wise if this issue starts breaking machines there's going to be a lot of people left on the hook to replace their own tranny.

One thing to keep in mind though... other than the clicking sounds our transmissions are super smooth and quite. I took a cruise in my buddies 2020 Honda Pioneer 1000 and there's a clank and jerk in every up shift and down shift. I'd rather have the clicking noise even though it's annoying.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,155 Posts
Yeah, you really need it on those machines I'd say. Especially as you can get excellent prices online from a remote dealer its great for you all there. My local dealer jacked their rates to $95/hr which doesn't take a massive repair to pay for the labour part of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine started making a clunk noise like something is loose. I took the shackle off the front tiedowns. Checked lug nuts, and generally looked around underneath. I will have to watch this thread in case someone figures it out.
Hello everyone, I own an RMAX. I would like to know if you have a knocking noise while driving, in the front section. The noise is especially present at mid-speed, between 55 km / h and 80 km / h. It makes a knocking noise, as if two pieces are banging together, it makes “CLOC CLOC”. No need to drive on a rough road, the noise is also present on an asphalt road. Whether I'm in 2WD or 4WD, it doesn't make a difference. It's not the winch tie either, because I put a rubber tip. These aren't the heat sheids either, because there aren't any in the front section, only in the back section. The noise has been present since my first test drive. For example, I can drive at a constant speed, 60 km / h, and the noise is continuous. Did anyone experience this same problem and did you find a way to fix it? Also, often, while driving at a constant speed, around 70 km / h, I feel a rumble in the transmission.
Thank You
Alex
My 4 makes that exact noise at the exact same range. I don't hear it at high speed but the engine could be drowning it out. At first I thought something was wrapped around drive shaft but have ruled that out .

221 - 240 of 264 Posts