Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a KFI wide winch and the mounting kit that the dealership sold me is for a Warn. The mounting holes do not line up. Is there another kit for the KFI or am I gonna have to modify my mounting brackets?

·
Registered
575 Posts
KFI makes a mounting plate for the wolverine, its $49.00.. You should be able to modify the plate by drilling 2 holes I think. I'm considering going with a wide winch also.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Be careful and check to see what comes with the mount. I got the Warn 3500 out of the Yamaha catalog, but the dealer ordered me a KFI mount to try and save a little money. The $49 KFI mount I got had no wiring or anything with it so I had to take it back and get the Yamaha/Warn one.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
The wiring comes with every winch but the warn. Warn sells the wiring with the mount, that way you have to buy both from them

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna call the dealer today and get the KFI bracket, all the wiring came with the winch so I don't need to wiring that comes with the warn bracket. It's gonna be a tight fit with the wise winch but I think it will work. I will post the results as soon as I get it done.

·
Registered
718 Posts
The wiring comes with every winch but the warn. Warn sells the wiring with the mount, that way you have to buy both from them
Didn't know that since this is the first one I've ever bought. I thought it was weird that stuff was so mixed and matched. All that was in my winch box was the winch, fair lead, and the contractor that gets mounted under the hood. Even the remote with rocker switch was in the mount kit.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you buy the Warn Winch/Mount from Yamaha (Yamaha part numbers on it) they come wires and harness with it that fits the Wolverine exactly. The mount has the pre cut wires for the winch.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Pretty odd.. up in canada the warn 3500 set up for the wolverine was 700 bucks from the dealer j just ordered a terra 45 super winch for 250 from princess auto and a kfi mound for 49.99. I'll stick with not owning another warn winch. I have been nothing but disapointed with warn winches in the last few years. Switching to superwinch has been a great experience

·
Registered
211 Posts
Went through this myself. My WARN #3500 winch came with the wires. I bought the KFI mount which does not come with wires. The KFI mount will work with the KFI winch, but your still going to have to drill holes into the bumper. the two holes that are pre-drilled in the bumper only line up with the Yamaha mount and the same bolt patter that is on the two WARN winches recommended by Yamaha. I ended up trading in my #4500 (wide mount) WARN for a #3500 and buying the Yamaha mount. I ended up with a second set of wires, but I didn't have to drill into the bumper to make an extra hole. If your winch has a Hawse fairlead instead of a roller fairlead, don't go with the KFI mount. It leaves a gap between the top of the fairlead and the top of the hole in the mount that looks silly IMO.

·
Registered
109 Posts
IMG_7046.JPG

I put a wide 5000lb Viper Max Elite with the KFI mount on mine and it worked perfect. I did have to drill 2 holes in the bumper but not the mount. The bumper was easy to drill and then I primed and painted the drill holes and after the paint dried coated them with grease to keep any rust from forming later. Mine has the Hawse fairlead and it worked great. Maybe the regular size Hawse fairleads don't look good on the KFI mounts, I don't know but I couldn't be happier with mine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
View attachment 1060

I put a wide 5000lb Viper Max Elite with the KFI mount on mine and it worked perfect. I did have to drill 2 holes in the bumper but not the mount. The bumper was easy to drill and then I primed and painted the drill holes and after the paint dried coated them with grease to keep any rust from forming later. Mine has the Hawse fairlead and it worked great. Maybe the regular size Hawse fairleads don't look good on the KFI mounts, I don't know but I couldn't be happier with mine.
Wow. That does look nice. It is because you have a wider fairlead than the WARN one. You are able to mount yours in the upper set of holes on the KFI mount. If your fairlead is not as wide, such as the standard WARN one, you will have to use the bottom holes and it will not cover the top of the cutout on the mount.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the KFI mounted with much headache! Dealer sent me the correct mount and it worked perfect. I did, however, have to drill two holes in my bumper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts