Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m posting some pics of my X4. Maybe it will someone else decide on if they want the mods or not. Nothing special but feel free to ask questions or post thoughts. Don’t worry you won’t hurt my feelings if you don’t like it and want to tell me I suck.

My goals of my build is to make a street legal UTV that fits in my toy hauler (2019 Grand Design Momentum 34’ bumper pull) to take my family with me riding forest roads and ORV routes. I have 2 1/2 year old and 6 year old girls plus my wife. Maybe use for hunting also out state land. I choose the x4 because it is quiet, high quality, and size.

Part list so far:
Yamaha front Glass Window
Yamaha rear hard enclosure windows.
Yamaha rock guards
Yamaha rear bumper
Yamaha rear storage box
Yamaha explorer side mirrors
Assault Mirror Brackets
Yamaha Center mirror.
Yamaha Front Fog lights
Yamaha Rear Fog lights
UTV mountain accessories rear bench seat
UTV Mountain front bumper seat
UTV Mountain kids cushion.
Ryco street legal kit
Fire extinguisher bracket
Perfex 2" lift kit on order
28x10x14 M1 evil Tires
Moose wheels. 4/4 rear 4/3 front. 63” width front and rear.
Garmin Montana 750i with Ram mount
Garmin Montana 680t with Ram mount.
Throttle Maxx gas pedal
Successfully street legal!

Things still considering: Storage nets or bags. winch remote, Hard enclosure doors for winter(not many review on enclouse kit). Maybe some performance mods as this thing is really slow down the road (seems like map and exhaust doesn't get you much in real world testing compared to cost).

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
That look great!! Did changing offset of the wheels help them track the same now?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m located in Michigan. Very difficult to street legal here now. The point of using different offset on the wheels so it would have the same track without having to use spacers. I’m not a fan of using spacers. It’s right at 63” with this setup. Still considering the 2” lift if ever comes available again. Hopefully the bugs are worked out on the next release for the X4.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love it. I’m going to have to look into the rims and tires. Might be the ticket for me as well. Can you tell me the size? (Width). Can’t be need street legal in NY unfortunately. I’m stretching it calling it farm equipment when I have to run the roads between fields

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also which rims exactly? Any rubbing issues? Did you measure the height vs stock? It looks like you went 10” wide all around.

The m1 is available in 27x11x12 for 12” rims. Also available as 28x11x14 for 14 rims.

If no rubbing it would seem that I could run 11’s all around if I can get the offset right to even the track as you did.

Did you need to change the clutch weights or make any other mods to get it to work?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moose Utility wheels. pic attached of the model. i can tell you 27x11x12 up front will rub with stock rims. you can do 27x11' in the back and 27x9" up front on stock rims without rub. To go to 28's you have to get 14" wheels. 28x11x14 will rub up front. my 28x10x14 rub up front at full lock under certain loads. the picture above of the tire next to the wheel well is the clearance i have up front at full lock with 27x10x14 on 4/4 wheel offset. and yes i went 10" wide all around to get the even track.

I dont know if I "need" to change the clutch weights. I can tell you its slow, but i never drove it with stock tires. I am also coming from a Can Am Maverick though so really no comparison. it is also way slower than my can am commander 1000 i had to though. the machine is really just under powered IMO. it needed a 1000cc in it. i am thinking of changing the clutch weights and ecm flash to get some performance out of it but it is just a family hauler for trail riding so im not sure i will do that or not. Reliability is still most important to me. There is always low gear for any serious work.
IMG_1695.PNG IMG_1694.PNG

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thank you Jesse, I appreciate it. Did you happen to measure how much taller your new 28’s are compared to the stock 27 Bighorns? My mudlite 26’s Are almost identical, less than a 1/2” shorter I believe than the 27 bighorns. I’m going to put them on when I get the machine back and measure everything. I like your setup, but I’m worried about the rubbing, and I would love to run 11s if the offset will work.

I’m changing because I’m worried the narrow tires will dig ruts in my crossings and trails, the rhino was massively improved by the wider tires all around.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
I can’t stick my hand between the tire and outer tie rod. I am running 27x9 on the stock 12” alloy rims. I guess to run a wider front you’d need different rims (offset) or (gasp) spacers.

I’d like to question your intent to run wider tires. I think I know why you want to, but I’d like others here to help discuss why they may / may not be the answer. We should take that discussion to another thread, to not clog up Jesse’s build thread.

961DC1C5-CDB9-4D9A-8191-A5844B1814AE.jpeg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Paul, I’m in, where to start the new thread, wheels and tires, or gen discussion to get more input?

I want wider tires in the front to decrease rutting in between my rows, and I found going from the stock 9” front on my rhino to 11” massively increased stability when side holding, and made it a tank getting around in the winter. Stuck a lot before the 11’s, never really after unless I slid the belly on on hard pack and couldn’t get the tires to something solid. Also it made far less ruts on the hills and in between the rows.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Jesse, how do you like the AMS M1 Evil's, I just ordered a set of 27", hoping they do well and don't require clutching.

That's a lot of seats! Do you actually load that thing up with 6 people? Our daughter is just over two and we still just strap in the entire car seat... will be looking for better options as she outgrows it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My daughter is 2 1/2 and keep her in the middle front seat next to me. i feel its the safest place for her. It has four point harness so keeps her secure. I have her in the middle front because she cant stick hands out window or no sticks or branches or rocks can fly up and hit her there. having her next to me is a real treat as i can see and hear her all those laughs and smiles when riding. My 6 year old sits in the back right or left side, I will put the 2 year old in the back middle also next to her sister and sometimes Mom sits in back next to them. I tried the car seat strapped in the back and i didn't feel comfortable with her so close to the door knowing that mud and rocks and branches could hit her. I spent a lot of money to have me feel safe with them in it. If you feel safe I wouldn't spend the money. if i rode around with full hard cab enclosure i wouldn't have done it. If Yamaha would have sold an AC for it I would have just got that and the hard enclosure and used that instead until the kids got old enough to not need it.

The M1 Evil are fantastic tires, every thing you want in good trail tire. If your a mud rider then i would not get them. I guess i would compare them to the bighorns in ride feel and features. Soft ride, quiet, and 8 ply rating with high payload. I never rode the wolverine stock so i dont know what i am missing in terms of power loss. It does top out at 55 MPH though on the speedo. If doing rock crawling or steep hill climbs, deep mud, i would use low range. the torque benefits there feel great in that condition.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My daughter is 2 1/2 and keep her in the middle front seat next to me. i feel its the safest place for her. It has four point harness so keeps her secure. I have her in the middle front because she cant stick hands out window or no sticks or branches or rocks can fly up and hit her there. having her next to me is a real treat as i can see and hear her all those laughs and smiles when riding. My 6 year old sits in the back right or left side, I will put the 2 year old in the back middle also next to her sister and sometimes Mom sits in back next to them. I tried the car seat strapped in the back and i didn't feel comfortable with her so close to the door knowing that mud and rocks and branches could hit her. I spent a lot of money to have me feel safe with them in it. If you feel safe I wouldn't spend the money. if i rode around with full hard cab enclosure i wouldn't have done it. If Yamaha would have sold an AC for it I would have just got that and the hard enclosure and used that instead until the kids got old enough to not need it.

The M1 Evil are fantastic tires, every thing you want in good trail tire. If your a mud rider then i would not get them. I guess i would compare them to the bighorns in ride feel and features. Soft ride, quiet, and 8 ply rating with high payload. I never rode the wolverine stock so i dont know what i am missing in terms of power loss. It does top out at 55 MPH though on the speedo. If doing rock crawling or steep hill climbs, deep mud, i would use low range. the torque benefits there feel great in that condition.
Great info thanks. I'm excited to get the Evils installed and tested. I'm mostly rocky trails, little mud, so hoping I picked the perfect tire.
Yeah I know what you mean about feeling safe with the kid, I stick to the trails I know when she's along so other than a few spots where we go slow and keep an eye on her, branches and things aren't a huge concern. Although I still love the idea of her next to us. She's actually 2½ as well, how long do you see your daughter fitting in that centre seat? Wondering if it's still worth getting or if she'll be grown out of it by next season before she's had a chance to use it... like half of their gifted clothes as you know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good info on the kids seat, Ill probably pick one up for the two kids and should last few years.

Question on the wheel spacing, I thought the 2020's changed that up so would be square with same size wheels and tires, or is that for the x2 only?

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,374 Posts
I’m located in Michigan. Very difficult to street legal here now. The point of using different offset on the wheels so it would have the same track without having to use spacers. I’m not a fan of using spacers. It’s right at 63” with this setup. Still considering the 2” lift if ever comes available again. Hopefully the bugs are worked out on the next release for the X4.
You have a very nicely equipped ride.

Are your tires DOT stamped? A good fiend of mine just received his assembled title to street legalize his 2019 X2 here in Michigan. You already have most of the required items.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Davecz, I thought so also on the 2020's would be a square setup. I originally purchased 4 wheels 4x4 with same ofset and it was not square. it was 65" wide up front and 63" in rear. I replaced the fronts with 4x3 offset and it made it square. a nice $300 mistake. i guess i have extra wheels if one bends.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Wolvie Hunter. The tires are Dot stamped. I am in the middle of installing the Rymco street legal kit. I started that last night. What a pain in the rear to install. I have the center mirror installed but I am waiting on the side mirrors to come in then i will have everything I need to proceed with the street legal process. The mirrors have been on backorder for a month. they are suppose to be available the 28th. Did your friend have any issues with his process. big reason i choose the x4 is because it has a separate parking brake and that is why stops most vehicles from being able to be street legal in Michigan.

FYI, I also have Yamaha rear trunk and a fire extingusher bracket coming in today. I also order the Perfex 2" lift kit for it. the amount of money and time it takes to make this street legal and trail worthy is crazy. So far I am not impressed at all with the X4 but very few choices out there for what i need. Off topic, my rant.... I also own a 2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon with a 3" lift kit and 35's and that's amazing out in the trails but I cant haul it in my RV. These side by sides make the 2 door Jeep seem like a steal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Davecz, I thought so also on the 2020's would be a square setup. I originally purchased 4 wheels 4x4 with same ofset and it was not square. it was 65" wide up front and 63" in rear. I replaced the fronts with 4x3 offset and it made it square. a nice $300 mistake. i guess i have extra wheels if one bends.....
Thanks for the heads up, I have 4 wheels with 5x2 spacing on order but waiting on tires to come off of backorder so can still change it. Looks like if I go 5x2 Front and 5x3 in back would be square?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the heads up, I have 4 wheels with 5x2 spacing on order but waiting on tires to come off of backorder so can still change it. Looks like if I go 5x2 Front and 5x3 in back would be square?
Assuming 10” wide tires it should put you at 61” wide front and rear with 5x2 front and 5x3 rear. I a say assume because some 5x2 wheels are not truly 5x2. Someone on here should have that setup at least as it’s really common. They could measure the back width of there setup and see and going to 5x3 will add plus 2” to the width in rear.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts