Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to plan on replacing my 26" Outback XT's. They are a good tire but I want some more ground clearance. I think these outbacks run a little small and don't the big horn's run a little big. I am currently running a set of the the black Viking SE wheels and don't really plan on replacing them because I don't really want to have any wider of a track. I am not sure if 28's on stock wheels will rub or not. I would like to see pics of a set of 27's on stock wheels on one.

Here is a pic of my rig, its a week old and got a good workout on some rockcrawler trails today.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You will have no issues with any size up to 28 on stock wheels .. I don't have pics but the other guy around these parts has 27 inch big horns on stock and I have 27's on ss212s no issues for either of us

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am running 27" Maxxis Zilla's on the factory wheels. I don't have any rubbing. You can look at my photo album and see how they look. I would also like to know, what is the biggest tire we can mount on stock wheels and no lift?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back or front. I can see in the back that the furthest thing back is a bolt holding the plastics. That looks like it could be heated up and pushed in.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My 27" Dirt tamers rub up front barely when its fully compressed but it doens't hinder anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
28s are the biggest you can go. And they tend to rub a lil on some bolt heads
Is it a certain tire that rubs? I was wondering if the 28" zillas would fit on factory wheels or maybe the 30" zillas on off set wheels. Does anyone on the forum run those by any chance?

·
Registered
367 Posts
You will not get 30s on a wolverine without some drastic manipulation of parts ... up front I can see someone running 30s until you compress the suspension and try to turn .. out back you will need new A arms that are swept to the rear .. this wasn't a machine yamaha kept big tires in mind for .. if you put a lift on you still will not clear in the rear

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Is it a certain tire that rubs? I was wondering if the 28" zillas would fit on factory wheels or maybe the 30" zillas on off set wheels. Does anyone on the forum run those by any chance?
28" zillas fit just fine. Buddy has those on his stock Arctic white wheels and they really do well. Thinking 28" zilla or 27" VIPR's for my next set.

·
Registered
58 Posts
28" zillas fit just fine. Buddy has those on his stock Arctic white wheels and they really do well. Thinking 28" zilla or 27" VIPR's for my next set.
Before I traded in my grizzly for the wolverine I took off the 27" zillas. That's the only reason I put them on the wolverine because I already had them. I have to admit that I love how they perform on this machine as well. I was just wanting to get the biggest tire possible for ground clearance but I might just get the high lifter lift and keep the 27"s. I like them that much! Did you lift yours?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok, so how is performance with 27" tires? Can you still kick out the back end at lower speeds or around corners? I don't want to loose that ! That's what makes it so much more fun than Rhino!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ok, so how is performance with 27" tires? Can you still kick out the back end at lower speeds or around corners? I don't want to loose that ! That's what makes it so much more fun than Rhino!
I'm running 26" Bighorns which are still bigger than the stockers and I haven't lost any performance and can still throw it sideways in the corners when I want to.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm running 27" zillas on stock wheels and I feel performance improved versus stock tires. It's hard to explain but a very noticeable performance gain. The tires feel like they brake loose easier but at the same time now I feel like the machine accelerates quicker. Like I said, a very noticeable difference. As far as kicking out the back end, you will not have any problems. The only cons are that the 27" Zilla only measures 26" tall. That is measured with the weight of the machine on it at 10 psi. So it is not a true 27". Also when i ride through the woods and make my own trail, I notice climbing it likes to spin out. It looses traction in other words. But if the grass is already chewed up it will not. The factory bighorn 2.0's were better in this situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had 30" mega mayhem on mine with a 3 1/2" high lifter lift and didn't have any trouble didn't rub at all, the only reason I took them off was because I didn't like the rough ride. looking at getting another set just something less aggressive

·
Registered
93 Posts
I still have not seen an answer if the 27 " Bighorns ( not 2.0 ) will fit on stock without any modification? I like the Bighorn and is the route I want to go but want to make sure they will clear everything and want to know how much taller they are than stock ?

·
Banned
420 Posts
I believe the 27 originals are 27.7

1 - 20 of 21 Posts