Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How true are the tire measurements on these. I am trying to figure which tire I want. I was wanting the sodona ripsaw but looks like the 27" is the same height as the 2.0 stock. How does the black water compared to the original bighorn.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a set of ITP Blackwater Evolution Radial Tires 27x9R-14 and 27x11R-14. The are actually 26 inches tall. I had the Ripsaws on a ATV they ride very rough on hard pack and clog up with mud. As for the Blackwater Evolution this is a great all round tire. Ride great in mud, smooth on hard pack and excellent in sand.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How do you like the blackwaters on your wolverine ? does it still ride as soft ? and did you notice a performance hit ?

·
Registered
242 Posts
How do you like the blackwaters on your wolverine ? does it still ride as soft ? and did you notice a performance hit ?
Love the Blackwater Evolution's. No loss of performance. 8 ply tire with now worries of getting flats.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
I also have the blackwaters. I have them in 28-10-12 at all corners plus a spare. Mine measure true 28", within 1/4", I am not sure how other people are measuring their tires, but you don't measure the height of the tire after it is mounted to the vehicle. If you do that, it will not measure the true height, as it is compressing under the weight of the vehicle. Either way, they are good tires, heavy, but good. There was a significant performance hit with mine, but then I went to 28", so maybe with 27" it's not as noticeable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
love mine, seemed just about true height before mounted, as for performance i had these installed at dealer and the stocker rims and tires are sat in the garage.

20150918_131532.jpg 20150918_130548.jpg

·
Registered
395 Posts
People I know have good luck with the ITP Blackwater Evos. I think the size is pretty true but many people measure them differently.

I LOVE the sedona ripsaws but they handle like mush on hard packed/blacktop. The trail heads where we ride, you have to drive on the road a bit so I stopped running the Ripsaws.

Look into the STI roctane and roctane XD too. Tread pattern is like the bighorn. 8 ply rated. If you stick with 26 inchers, they aren't too heavy. As for the ride, nothing is going to ride as well as the bighorn 2.0s but you will make up for it in performance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had ripsaws on my grizzly 550, loved them but i found they didnt clear snow well, that was their only downfall (that and they were a big rough for a lightweight atv) i could drift my grizzly around turns for dats :D :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
GUYS I just picked up my black water evolution 27s. I havnt installed going on the stock rims for now this thing is costing a fortune but fun. just wondering what tire pressure your running in them as there so much beefier than the oems thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have only been able to get out once since getting my black waters, and they were set around 13psi. I hope to ride Friday and will try them at 10

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
With an 8 ply like that, you can safely run 8psi in them and still go on the hardpack or roads at high speed. I wouldn't lower the pressure much more than that though if you plan to ride roads at all. If you are looking for rock crawling grip, you might go down as low as 4-5, but you risk breaking the bead under a heavy load. For general trail riding I have been keeping mine around 8-9psi.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
i run my bighorns at 8psi.

·
Registered
36 Posts
7-9psi seems to be the norm with 8ply tires, any less and you risk rolling and pinching, any more and the ride gets really rough.. I run GBC Dirt Commanders which are also an 8ply tire, it stiffens up the ride a little.....but not having flats 20+ miles out is well worth the slight sacrifice to the marshmallow suspension on the Wolv.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am running 8psi in my 28" Evo's and they ride really nice. Really smooth on the trail and not much side roll on the pavement.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dropped the pressure to 9psi, and they worked much better. Hard to believe a couple pounds can make that much of a difference but I thought I made a mistake when I first got them. They would spin easier than stock even with going to 27". I only rode around 15 miles today but these tires seem great.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I run 8 psi in my 8ply GBC Grim Reapers and that seems to work good for them. Broke the beads on 2 different wheels with my stock bighorns at 10 psi while riding and took forever to re-seat one. You wont have that problem with the 8plys. Stock tires ride good and grip pretty good but they are really a joke for any machine this heavy. Just a problem waiting to happen.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
the lower the pressure the more traction and better ride. higher pressure better handling lex flex of the tire. depends on your application.

Reactions: Traxnorth

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just ordered backwaters on hurricane rims can't wait to try them. Hey Traxnorth just bought a trailer off a guy up your way, Polaris 6x12. His razor caught fire and didn't need it anymore.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts