Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a new Wolverine. I have a Honda Pioneer two seater I like except for the front shocks and rear locked noisy differential. I want something more "sporty". I test drove the Wolverine and was impressed overall. I would of liked a little bigger bed and less cvt whine but other wise it seemed to perform well. I liked it better than the Viking. Can you please share the pros and cons of this machine, like does it need EPS? I have read all the threads on it here so I know a little. Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you ride tight trails, or turn as lot at slower speed(tight technical trais) I'd suggest eps.. I love it and its one of the best eps systems in the industry. The feed back feels just right. As for my thoughts I've been surprised at just how awesome this thing is every time I take it out.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
After driving multiple machines without EPS, then owning one with EPS, there is absolutely no way in hell I would ever go back to NON-EPS. Ever. The fact that I can drive with one hand, effortlessly, while leaning on the center console chatting with my passenger, climbing a gnarly rock hill, is amazing. It's not the old days, where EPS was brand new and unproven. It is a reliable, predictable part of the machines now. If you take a value of $1000 for the EPS, and an MSRP of $13399, you are paying 7.5% of the machine price for the EPS. Thats the same amount you would pay in Tax in many states. It's a no-brainer to me. Especially if you intend to run larger or more aggressive tires, you will want the EPS. The EPS is not just for low speeds either, it helps dampen bumps, rock hits, ruts, etc at mid to high speeds, which really helps with arm fatigue on the long rides. We too like to go on longer rides, and many times run 75 miles in a day. So, to sum it up: EPS=Good, NON-EPS=Bad lol

·
Registered
388 Posts
The suspension coupled with the EPS (if you decide to go that route) make driving this bike a dream. Effortless to drive. Plenty of power. You can work out of it when you want too and play in it when you want to. Nice mix of sport and utility. I almost didn't get EPS but am so glad I did. It is expensive but like every other person that ive talked to that has switched to EPS I will never not have it again if I can help it.

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
no camo wolverines available yet in Wyoming, how crappy is that!
For $600 option I don't think its worth it. Only good thing is that it comes with the $150 fender flares. All the camo is one piece of plastic and and small sticker on the side of the box

·
Registered
182 Posts
i got the camo because it doesn't show any scratches. had a camo rhino for 7 years and the plastic looked as good as the day we bought it. but yeah it is overpriced.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I sat in both Pioneer 700 and 500 models. The seats aren't half as comfortable plus the gas and brake pedals are slightly off to the right. I'm 6'2" and my left foot is crammed up. Can't stretch leg out at all. Bench style seats as well. Don't think they'll be good on long runs.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I sat in both Pioneer 700 and 500 models. The seats aren't half as comfortable plus the gas and brake pedals are slightly off to the right. I'm 6'2" and my left foot is crammed up. Can't stretch leg out at all. Bench style seats as well. Don't think they'll be good on long runs.
I'm also 6'2" and agree the cabin on the pioneer was uncomfortable and tight. Even on the new 1000cc models, it looks wider but the driver is still up on the wheel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I will wait on the Wolverine until I see the Honda 1000 and the new offering from Yamaha. I like my Honda 700 for the most part but want more. The Wolverine seems to a good value for the money and a very capable machine, so its still on the top of my list until I see something I like better. I am glad to see Yamaha and Honda getting serious about sxs as they are the only brands that interest me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you do not dislike your Honda, you are probably wise to wait and see. I personally did not like the Pioneer and was stuck in a bad spot with it. I wanted a new machine and liked the Rhino, but it was off the market and knew that I did not want a Viking. Polaris is expensive and seem to be problematic, and was not really interested in any other brand. I bought the Pioneer 700 despite it's shortcomings and was just disappointed. I wanted to customize it, but did not want to drop thousands into something that I would just sell so I was basically stuck with something I hated and wished I had my old Rhino back. I would sit down and think about what you want from a side by side because after the dust settles with these new releases nothing will have changed. The new Yamaha coming out in September is almost definitely going to be a pure sport machine like the RZR 900S or XP1. The new Pioneer has addressed some of the issues of the 700, but it is still a utility machine and it is just a bigger version of the 700. It will still feel like your propped up in the air sitting on a milk crate, the same as the Polaris Ranger. If you want something that fills the role Sport and Utility, the Wolverine is in a class by itself. The only thing I would be worried about with the Wolverine is Yamaha still needs to release another model next year, so will it be a Wolverine 1000? A Wolverine 4 seater?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I primarily use my P2 700 on a horse farm as a utility vehicle and it serves that purpose well, hauling hay, firewood, fencing and construction materials. I do like to ride the horse trails and the Wolverine would shine there. A 3 seater would be nice too for me. So practically the p1000 is best for my needs. I have even thought of keeping the p2 and getting a Wolverine too but that would be over kill for me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah, you probably would be better off with a Pioneer or the Viking. The wolverine would not be good for repeatedly doing the stuff you need.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My son has a RZR 900 white lightning. He primarily is concerned about blinding speed. My wife has a 570 polaris ranger and she mainly uses it on our property to work out of but she likes to site see too. She has 75 miles on it and 25 hours. So with a 3 mph average she isn't concerned about speed or suspension. I wanted something in between that would have the best of both. I like to trail ride and sometimes with some speed. I also love to hunt and wanted something with a bed too. So i purchased a camo eps wolverine and could not be happier. I love it more every time i get to ride it! I sold a 700 grizzly to buy it and was afraid i would regret it. I just thought my grizzly rode good until i got the wolverine. Its so much better its like going from a lawn chair to a Lazyboy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts