Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The video explains why I'm installing a catch can on my X4, which will solve the problem of oil puddling in the engine air intake. Much easier to empty the catch can (reuse the oil caught in it) than cleaning out your air intake.

Reference thread: https://www.wolverineforums.com/for...858-x4-oil-puddling-intake-ducting-issue.html

I bought a cheapie oil catch can off of Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ESPEEDER-Universal-Aluminum-Baffled-Reservoir/dp/B07PYT9C79

You'll need to deburr the holes on the baffles

I also had to lap the threads on the main body as they were too tight. Make sure you wash everything thoroughly after deburring and lapping.

I attached it via zip ties to my throttle body actuator back plate. I connected the stock hose from the dry sump reservoir to the Outlet side and will buy a 5/8" section of hose to connect from the Inlet side (which has the baffle) to the air plenum.

Why don't OEM manufacturers and Yamaha install a catch can from the factory? Probably because it's one extra maintenance item they don't trust the owner (or generic service tech) to check plus there's the perception of a device catching oil that some may think means their engine has bad engineering or something. You'll find them in just about every racing application.

The nipples provided are 3/8" and 5/8" and the 5/8" is what you'll use for your X2/X4 and/or automobile.

Another thing that has been discussed is using stainless steel or some other finer filtration media in the baffle. You won't have a problem in summertime, but in winter, since there's water that gets collected in there, it's possible for an ice damn to be created so just be aware that you may have to remove the finer filtration to prevent that.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I would shorten that hose from tank to catch can. That big loop hanging down it just going to fill with oil and you will have lost your oil tanks ability to breathe freely.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would shorten that hose from tank to catch can. That big loop hanging down it just going to fill with oil and you will have lost your oil tanks ability to breathe freely.

Look at the video for the updated mounting location. I doubt the loop will prevent the tank from breathing. If pressures were that low, we wouldn't be getting oil in the intake tract in the first place.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only 150 miles but I figured I'd see if it's collecting anything:

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
571 miles