Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Installed a water temp gauge

14K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Wi_Rider 
#1 ·
If you've been reading on here everyone knows I've been having some overheating problems so I installed an in-line temp gauge. HereTrail Tech || TTO Temp Meter - Black - 22mm Radiator Hose Sensor is the temp gauge I installed and here is a couple pics of it. Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

The specs I got from the dealer for the viking are (believed to be same for wolverine):

Fan on: 208 F
Fan off: 199 F
Temp light on: 251 F
Temp light off: 249 F

My fan kicked on when my was reading 206 so it seems pretty accurate.

See less See more
#10 ·
No its self powered so its got a small battery in the gauge itself.

Was going to try engine ice, but after I got a radiator genie to really keep it clean I haven't had any major problems. It's hard to really say what the complete problem was because I changed too many things at once. When I installed the temp gauge I drained, refilled and bled the system as well as cleaned the radiator with the radiator genie. Was it too dirty? Was there a air pocket in the system that I got out? Both idk?

Finally installed the new thermostat last weekend and it actually seems to run about 5 to 10 degrees cooler. With the gauge I can see "Hey temps are staying around 210 the radiator must be plugging up with dust again." Only problem I have now if you go through some water the radiator gets wet then you ride behind someone eating dust and it can clog up. The deflector I made seems to help a good amount with keeping water off of it. This winter I plan on getting it in the garage and seeing if I can seal it up a little better. If you look at the new yxz it looks like they went with the approach sealing it off pretty well.

#11 ·
Yeah I had a long ride last weekend, while I didn't have any problems I noticed its very hard to get the radiator clean properly, so I'm going to order the Genie and get a TTO, so which means I'll have to drain the system and I figured what could Engine ice hurt. It looks like a simple install. Is bleeding the system hard at all?

#13 ·
Its not bad at all just a bleeder screw on the water pump that you have to remove 2 panels to get to (can actually just wiggle the one out in front of the wheel and get it) and the one on the thermostat housing. Only thing is you have to remember that when you crack that bolt loose your letting air out really slow so its going to take a while to get it all out.

#14 ·
It's just my opinion and mine only but I think your best off sealing the radiator off from the sides and you would have a lot less problems. The loss of air flow would be better than filling it with mud and dirt, but just again my opinion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.